UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Postby Dawgbit » August 18th, 2022, 9:39 am

It would be nice not to have to sit through OT in Big Ten game as it encroaches on MVC game.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » August 18th, 2022, 9:58 am

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-...ttMcMurphy

"The contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the deal could approach nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten’s membership increases, network sources said. Even after adding USC and UCLA, the Big Ten “is not done” expanding, sources told Action Network."

Cue Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » August 18th, 2022, 10:28 am

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-...ttMcMurphy

"The contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the deal could approach nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten’s membership increases, network sources said. Even after adding USC and UCLA, the Big Ten “is not done” expanding, sources told Action Network."

Cue Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford.

Absolutely done deal.

Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado to the Big 12 who gets the money from FOX to make them the clear #3.

Wazzu and Oregon State are boned and they take most of the Mountain West to form the New Pac-whatever.

Mountain West backfills with the western CUSA and some other western schools.

Everybody 'moves up' while staying at the exact same place in the pecking order.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 18th, 2022, 12:10 pm

If you're the Big Ten, wouldn't you rather have Washington, Oregon, Utah and Colorado? I know the snobs like Stanford, but unless they're coming with Notre Dame, I don't think they add that much. And Utah and Colorado are both AAC members in their own right.

Adding Colorado/Utah would give the Big Ten a presence in all four time zones, with a ton of alums in the Denver/SLC area.

Let Cal and Stanford slum it with Cougs and Beavers.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 18th, 2022, 6:37 pm

unipanther99 wrote:If you're the Big Ten, wouldn't you rather have Washington, Oregon, Utah and Colorado? I know the snobs like Stanford, but unless they're coming with Notre Dame, I don't think they add that much. And Utah and Colorado are both AAC members in their own right.

Adding Colorado/Utah would give the Big Ten a presence in all four time zones, with a ton of alums in the Denver/SLC area.

There’s significantly more B1G alumni in the Bay Area than Denver/SLC. There’s actually a hair more Bay Area alumni than LA alumni.

And those Silicon Valley alumni tend to be the wealthiest.

As for timezones, MTZ doesn’t give tv anything they don’t already get from PTZ. ETZ/CTZ open up the 12e/11c windows while PTZ opens up the 1030e/730p windows.

TV executives love the Bay Area because ad revenue-per-viewer goes further with the Silicon Valley’s wealth. 1 viewer in the Bay Area is worth more than 1 viewer almost anywhere else in the country.

Throw in Cal/Stanford’s monstrous R&D expenditures that dwarf CU/UU/etc (stuff that is immensely important to B1G presidents via the BTAA) and Cal/Stanford being at/near the pinnacle of prestige for public/private universities (these are two jobs every administrator covets - Ohio St’s president left to become UC President) and university presidents simply value Cal, Stanford, and the Bay Area much higher than sports fans, sports media, etc.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Action10 » August 20th, 2022, 10:28 am

unipanther99 wrote:The B1G announced their new media rights deal today. One of the minor tidbits is interesting.

CBS’s initial season in 2023 will include seven football games and both regular season and postseason men’s basketball action, along with the Big Ten Women’s Basketball Tournament final appearing on CBS for the first time.

Their women's tournament occurs at the same time as Arch Madness, I hope this doesn't mean we are getting bumped from our Sunday slot.

The new Big 10 media deal might turn out to be good for MVC basketball. Unless there is a sub-licensing deal, the Big 10 won't have any basketball games on the ESPN Networks. That opens the door for more quality mid-major games in the traditional Big 10 slots. Hopefully it works out that way...
Action10
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » August 20th, 2022, 11:46 am

Our contract with CBS runs through 2024 so no jeopardy at this point.

At that point we'll have been on CBS for 17 years and I can't imagine that changing. Time slot might move but that's the worst of it in my mind. I'll almost guarantee that the women's game is going to 3:30 to match the men's game the following weekend.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 20th, 2022, 5:18 pm

BCPanther wrote:Our contract with CBS runs through 2024 so no jeopardy at this point.

At that point we'll have been on CBS for 17 years and I can't imagine that changing. Time slot might move but that's the worst of it in my mind. I'll almost guarantee that the women's game is going to 3:30 to match the men's game the following weekend.

I kind of prefer 11am. I notice on Sunday morning a lot of people leaving their hotels to drive home as they don’t want to wait for a 1pm game after a long weekend. Pushing it up 2 hours should make more people stick around.

Plus 11am games means people can get home around dinner time rather than skipping and driving home knowing they won’t get back until 7-9pm on a worknight.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » August 20th, 2022, 8:33 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Our contract with CBS runs through 2024 so no jeopardy at this point.

I kind of prefer 11am. I notice on Sunday morning a lot of people leaving their hotels to drive home as they don’t want to wait for a 1pm game after a long weekend. Pushing it up 2 hours should make more people stick around.

Plus 11am games means people can get home around dinner time rather than skipping and driving home knowing they won’t get back until 7-9pm on a worknight.

Oh, I'm all for 11:00. Having the longest drive to StL, I'd love to get out two hours earlier. If I stay for the title game and leave pretty much right away, it's 10:00 when I roll into Cedar Falls. The years we've won it's midnight. Monday mornings are rough after that.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » August 21st, 2022, 5:40 am

Are we talking 11AM ET or CT? 11CT would he fine, but ET would be too early.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball