UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UCLA - USC to Big Ten

Postby BCPanther » August 21st, 2022, 8:32 am

mvfcfan wrote:Are we talking 11AM ET or CT? 11CT would he fine, but ET would be too early.

Central. The first CBS window of the day.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » November 3rd, 2022, 11:32 am

Reported and confirmed by multiple outlets that Gonzaga has had discussions with the Big XII about joining. This reminds me of when Boise State joined the Big East, but whatever. Good luck guys.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 3rd, 2022, 2:39 pm

Talks called "Real but exploratory" with "No timetable." I think it's different from BSU to the Big East though. Remember the WCC WITH BYU still caved and gave Gonzaga literally everything it asked for just to keep them out of the MWC. And Gonzaga is still looking around (especially with BYU already gone). The Big XII is a different beast entirely both in basketball and financial strength. This has legs and I think it eventually happens. I think this is about the Big XII trying to make things more enticing for schools in the Pac 12 who might want to join (specifically Arizona). The Big XII is also the best basketball conference statistically (and I believe that is true by a sizable margin) so adding two of the top programs not already under its umbrella will only further enhance it. This could have real fallout and implications felt across the basketball landscape. If this gets finalized one has to believe that other significant moves will follow.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » November 3rd, 2022, 2:49 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Talks called "Real but exploratory" with "No timetable." I think it's different from BSU to the Big East though. Remember the WCC WITH BYU still caved and gave Gonzaga literally everything it asked for just to keep them out of the MWC. And Gonzaga is still looking around (especially with BYU already gone). The Big XII is a different beast entirely both in basketball and financial strength. This has legs and I think it eventually happens. I think this is about the Big XII trying to make things more enticing for schools in the Pac 12 who might want to join (specifically Arizona). The Big XII is also the best basketball conference statistically (and I believe that is true by a sizable margin) so adding two of the top programs not already under its umbrella will only further enhance it. This could have real fallout and implications felt across the basketball landscape. If this gets finalized one has to believe that other significant moves will follow.

Apparently Gonzaga has been talking with the Big East, Big 12 and Pac 12 and leaking this was their way of saying it's done. I can't imagine they aren't playing in the Big 12 next year.

That helps us immensely as a league because the WCC won't get the NET bump that Gonzaga single-handedly provided. The WCC falls into fighting with the SoCon for 11/12 every year and we become a perennial Top 10 league fighting with the A10, MW and new AAC for those 7-10 spots.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 3rd, 2022, 4:56 pm

BCPanther wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Talks called "Real but exploratory" with "No timetable." I think it's different from BSU to the Big East though. Remember the WCC WITH BYU still caved and gave Gonzaga literally everything it asked for just to keep them out of the MWC. And Gonzaga is still looking around (especially with BYU already gone). The Big XII is a different beast entirely both in basketball and financial strength. This has legs and I think it eventually happens. I think this is about the Big XII trying to make things more enticing for schools in the Pac 12 who might want to join (specifically Arizona). The Big XII is also the best basketball conference statistically (and I believe that is true by a sizable margin) so adding two of the top programs not already under its umbrella will only further enhance it. This could have real fallout and implications felt across the basketball landscape. If this gets finalized one has to believe that other significant moves will follow.

Apparently Gonzaga has been talking with the Big East, Big 12 and Pac 12 and leaking this was their way of saying it's done. I can't imagine they aren't playing in the Big 12 next year.

That helps us immensely as a league because the WCC won't get the NET bump that Gonzaga single-handedly provided. The WCC falls into fighting with the SoCon for 11/12 every year and we become a perennial Top 10 league fighting with the A10, MW and new AAC for those 7-10 spots.

I think it helps the perception of our league yes but it also contributes greatly to the stratification of the top 6 or so leagues in relation to the rest. Maybe there are moves that will open up in this chain of realignment that allows the MVC an opportunity to further strengthen and position itself but Gonzaga alone could mean an extra 1-3 bids for the Big XII as those bubble teams will see a big boost to their SOS from the addition of Gonzaga. I do think it's odd that this leaked if it's not eventually going to get done so I do think Gonzaga will be playing elsewhere very soon. I think this actually will force the Big East's hand in feeling as though they have to take in more schools to keep pace which is going to weaken the A-10 and potentially put us ahead of them. Again I'm not sure what that means exactly. It would be hard to see Loyola reverse course on its move because of the non-basketball considerations that A-10 membership provides but a countermove by the Big East (if it's forthcoming) would at least potentially open that door. Either way the MVC will move up in the pecking order even if the stratification is greater
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » November 4th, 2022, 2:43 pm

I wouldn't want Loyola back anyways. I strongly believe that the MVC got them during their best years, and they don't play enough of the sports that the rest of the MVC competes in. UIC is a way better fit athletically.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball