Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 8th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?

Poll ended at October 16th, 2022, 5:09 am

Belmont
13%
Bradley
5%
Drake
No votes
Indiana St
55%
Missouri St
No votes
Murray State
8%
Southern Illinois
No votes
UNI
20%

Total votes : 40

Postby MVCfans » October 14th, 2022, 5:09 am

Every couple of days we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2022-23 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining.

Illinois St was recently selected as the likely 9th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5930 )

Poll 5 - Who will finish in 8th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 8th place for this regular season.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
12th Place - Evansville
11th Place - UIC
10th Place - Valparaiso
9th Place - Illinois State
8th Place ....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Postby BCPanther » October 14th, 2022, 7:39 am

Trees.

Then it finally starts to get interesting.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » October 14th, 2022, 8:53 am

BCPanther wrote:Trees.

Gimme a break. Indiana State probably has a better roster than UNI, certainly less freshman-reliant, so let's not make it sound like there's some large chasm there. Yes, I know Jacobson is a good coach and UNI typically does not have poor conference finishes.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » October 14th, 2022, 9:21 am

siudawgs wrote:

Gimme a break. Indiana State probably has a better roster than UNI, certainly less freshman-reliant, so let's not make it sound like there's some large chasm there. Yes, I know Jacobson is a good coach and UNI typically does not have poor conference finishes.

Belmont, Indiana State and Missouri State have all had a bunch of roster turnover. Murray literally has an entire new roster.

Silly me thinking the guy running the program that's finished below 5th exactly once in the last 20 years who returns proven guards is probably going to find his way to the top half of the league.

Every team, sans Drake, has questions. I'm going to error on the side of proven coaching.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » October 14th, 2022, 9:29 am

BCPanther wrote:
siudawgs wrote:

Belmont, Indiana State and Missouri State have all had a bunch of roster turnover. Murray literally has an entire new roster.

Silly me thinking the guy running the program that's finished below 5th exactly once in the last 20 years who returns proven guards is probably going to find his way to the top half of the league.

Every team, sans Drake, has questions. I'm going to error on the side of proven coaching.

I don't think it's silly to put a lot of stock in the Jacobson factor, but I also don't think it's silly to look at UNI's roster and compare it to some of those others and think they might have some issues this winter. I happen to think a lower-half finish for them is somewhat likely this year, but as you said, there is a lot of mystery around the league this year, so we shall see.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Dean Wormer » October 14th, 2022, 9:33 am

BCPanther wrote:
siudawgs wrote:

Show your work.

22 - 1st
21 - 5th (3 way tie)
20- 1st
19 - 7th
18 - 9th

Everyone is a homer, but your self-yanking makes Jeffrey Toobin envious.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » October 14th, 2022, 10:00 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
BCPanther wrote:[quote="siudawgs"

Show your work.

22 - 1st
21 - 5th (3 way tie)
20- 1st
19 - 7th
18 - 9th

Everyone is a homer, but your self-yanking makes Jeffrey Toobin envious.[/quote]

You are incorrect-

06-07-5th
07-08-T 5th
08-09-T 1st
09-10-1st
10-11-T 4th
11-12-T 3rd
12-13-3rd
13-14-3rd
14-15-2nd
15-16-T 4th
16-17-T 3rd
17-18-T 7th
18-19-5th
19-20-1st
20-21-T 5th
21-22-1st

No idea where you're pulling this 9th place stuff from.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » October 14th, 2022, 10:01 am

In 2019 UNI finished in a 3 way tie for 5th with BU and ISU Red and got the 6th seed via tiebreakers. Depends on the criteria.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 14th, 2022, 10:02 am

siudawgs wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
siudawgs wrote:Gimme a break. Indiana State probably has a better roster than UNI, certainly less freshman-reliant, so let's not make it sound like there's some large chasm there. Yes, I know Jacobson is a good coach and UNI typically does not have poor conference finishes.

I don't think it's silly to put a lot of stock in the Jacobson factor, but I also don't think it's silly to look at UNI's roster and compare it to some of those others and think they might have some issues this winter. I happen to think a lower-half finish for them is somewhat likely this year, but as you said, there is a lot of mystery around the league this year, so we shall see.

Completely fair and there's a lot that hinges on what exactly Austin Phyfe can do.

There's going to be a lot of nights in the league this year where you look at scores at the end of the night and go WTF?
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » October 14th, 2022, 10:10 am

UNI strikes me as a team that could benefit in an addition by subtraction situation this season.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball