Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 6th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?

Poll ended at October 21st, 2022, 5:15 am

Bradley
3%
Drake
3%
Missouri St
10%
Murray State
26%
Southern Illinois
3%
UNI
56%

Total votes : 39

Postby MVCfans » October 19th, 2022, 5:15 am

Every couple of days we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2022-23 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining.

Belmont was recently selected as the likely 7th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5933 )

Poll 7 - Who will finish in 6th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 6th place for this regular season.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
12th Place - Evansville
11th Place - UIC
10th Place - Valparaiso
9th Place - Illinois State
8th Place - Indiana State
7th Place - Belmont
6th Place ....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Postby RacerJoeD » October 19th, 2022, 6:31 am

So full disclosure I voted for UNI here but I have a real question. Missouri State and Murray State are in nearly the exact same position. Personally I think it’s a coin flip between which of those two would finish higher. What is everyone using to determine which to vote higher of those two?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 19th, 2022, 7:33 am

RacerJoeD wrote:So full disclosure I voted for UNI here but I have a real question. Missouri State and Murray State are in nearly the exact same position. Personally I think it’s a coin flip between which of those two would finish higher. What is everyone using to determine which to vote higher of those two?

I'm going Missouri State just ever so slightly based on the fact they aren't new to the league and the step from the OVC is a little bigger than people realize. It was tough for me because I think Murray has the coaching edge.

I voted Murray here knowing full well it's going to be UNI. Personally, I'd go UNI, Missouri State, Murray but I know that's not how it's going to turn out.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » October 19th, 2022, 7:54 am

BCPanther wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:So full disclosure I voted for UNI here but I have a real question. Missouri State and Murray State are in nearly the exact same position. Personally I think it’s a coin flip between which of those two would finish higher. What is everyone using to determine which to vote higher of those two?

I'm going Missouri State just ever so slightly based on the fact they aren't new to the league and the step from the OVC is a little bigger than people realize. It was tough for me because I think Murray has the coaching edge.

I voted Murray here knowing full well it's going to be UNI. Personally, I'd go UNI, Missouri State, Murray but I know that's not how it's going to turn out.

I agree. I listened to an interview of Coach Prohm yesterday and he made me a fan of him. But with that said, I’m gonna vote Missouri State a slot higher than Murray because of track record. And by that, I mean MVC track record.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » October 19th, 2022, 8:25 am

That makes sense to me. And to be honest, I have no clue what to expect from Murray this season. I know that Coach Prohm is a really good coach, and he has a good record head to head with Dana Ford, but that is about it. I think from 4 to 8 could have a tied record in conference at the end of the year.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » October 19th, 2022, 9:22 am

I put UNI here after hearing Phyfe is a likely no-go. I"ll probably pick MO ST ahead of Murray based on the same things other have said. In 4 years despite tons of negative comments, Ford has led the Bears to a pair of 3rd place finishes and last years second, and this is his most talented team 1-13, but we don't have the established stars like Prim/Mosley. But like Murray, tons of moving parts and question marks makes me see them possible anywhere from 1st to 8th . Neither will surprise me for the Bears or Racers this year.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » October 19th, 2022, 1:40 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:That makes sense to me. And to be honest, I have no clue what to expect from Murray this season. I know that Coach Prohm is a really good coach, and he has a good record head to head with Dana Ford, but that is about it. I think from 4 to 8 could have a tied record in conference at the end of the year.

The other thing is that we are simply used to this with Missouri State. Talent has NEVER been a question under Dana Ford, but chemistry has. Lots of turnover, tons of talent, and mostly a 3-5 finish regardless of what variables are there. At least that is what it seems like to me. I'm sure that if I did some research it wouldn't be quite that, but probably pretty close.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » October 19th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Yeah that makes sense as well.

College hoops has changed a lot in the past couple years, to be sure, but saying that rebuilding a roster isn't something that Prohm has had to do much. That said, and I am homer for my Racers, Murray's talent level is sneaky good. I wouldn't be surprised (much) if the Racers didn't push for a top 4 seed this season. But you are absolutely right that talent isn't the end all be all. You have to have cohesion and trust that comes with chemistry and quite frankly, time. In fact, even in my most biased iterations of this Murray State team, I don't have them getting "good" until the end of the first semester.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball