Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 5th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?

Poll ended at October 23rd, 2022, 7:08 am

Bradley
11%
Drake
6%
Missouri St
29%
Murray State
34%
Southern Illinois
20%

Total votes : 35

Postby MVCfans » October 21st, 2022, 7:08 am

Every couple of days we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2022-23 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining.

UNI was recently selected as the likely 6th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5935 )

Poll 8 - Who will finish in 5th place during the 2022-23 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in th place for this regular season.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
12th Place - Evansville
11th Place - UIC
10th Place - Valparaiso
9th Place - Illinois State
8th Place - Indiana State
7th Place - Belmont
6th Place - UNI
5th Place ....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2022-23 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Postby bradley_townie » October 21st, 2022, 10:10 am

How does SIU have multiple votes? Would love to hear the argument for SIU finishing behind Murray State and Missouri State, because I am not seeing it.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » October 21st, 2022, 10:20 am

bradley_townie wrote:How does SIU have multiple votes? Would love to hear the argument for SIU finishing behind Murray State and Missouri State, because I am not seeing it.

I didn't vote that way but I can see people having major questions about SIU's scheme. There comes a point where you have to at least attempt to play offense when you've got two pretty good offensive players.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TBS_20 » October 21st, 2022, 11:03 am

I don't care who the coach is. It's a complete new team. No way Murray State finishes this high.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby siudawgs » October 21st, 2022, 11:16 am

One dynamic that I don't think is considered enough is homecourt edge/fan support. It makes a difference in close games, and the numbers bear that out. In an MVC context, for example, it's a lot tougher to get a road win in Murray or Peoria or Carbondale (when those teams are decent to good) than in Valparaiso, Terre Haute or at UIC.

That said, it's very difficult to parse Murray and Mo State this particular year. Guessing one team will exceed expectations and one will be middle of the pack or so, but until we see them play with their new personnel, who the hell knows ...
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » October 21st, 2022, 3:29 pm

bradley_townie wrote:How does SIU have multiple votes? Would love to hear the argument for SIU finishing behind Murray State and Missouri State, because I am not seeing it.

I think it's just question marks about Mullins; he hasn't been very good to date. But obviously this is the year he needs to shed those questions with a team with veterans to build around. Like Ford [ although Ford has been better than Mullins] until they win either the league or the tourney, there will be doubters, probably even after, if it's just the tourney. Wardle won 2 tourneys, but still is questioned because of lack of regular season success. It's a coach and guard league.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball