Hopes for the Season

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Hopes for the Season

Postby jsaluki080 » October 21st, 2022, 8:20 pm

I'm sure everybody would love for their team to go undefeated and outright win the NCAA tournament.
But what are your realistic hopes for the season?

Mine are:
For SIU
1 - Have a consistent strong offense
2 - Finish top 3 in conference
3- See post season play

For the MVC (I'm guessing these will be similar with most ppl)
1- Strong OoC showing
2- Finish as a top 10 conference
3- Multiple teams in the NCAA tourney
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Hopes for the Season

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Hopes for the Season

Postby RacerJoeD » October 22nd, 2022, 6:53 am

For my Racers, uncertainty is the biggest hurdle, so if I were to spell out my hopes for the season they would be

1. Top half of the league finish
2. Deep run in STL
3. Develop a core to build on for next season

Admittedly these are very low expectations for RacerNation, but “journey of a thousand miles…” and all that
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Fetz86 » October 22nd, 2022, 7:47 pm

For Bradley: Contend for the regular season title, play on Sunday in St. Louis, no off court incidents or major/long-term injuries.

The MVC at large: No embarrassing OoC loses, multiple teams in the dance.
Fetz86
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ValleyFAN » October 24th, 2022, 7:07 am

For the Bears from a fan perspective it is going to be an interesting season. Ford has the program elevated from the Lusk days, so dropping down into the league's lower half, even though there was a total roster overhaul, would be a major disappointment.

I suppose my goals would look something like this...

1. Finish in the Top 4 and get that first round bye in St Louis
2. 20+ wins and some type of postseason.
3. Do a much better job defending the home court
4. Would like to see increased fan attendance. The athletics dept restructured the prices of season tix to make it more economical, and interested to see if that helps to draw interest.
5. Actually retain some of the talent going into next year on the roster. Some guys will be gone as their eligibility is exhausted, but can the remaining players be retained?
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » October 24th, 2022, 7:43 am

For UNI--

1-First year without AJ Green in the offensive system that was put in when he got here. Need to make sure that playing faster and being much better offensively wasn't simply a function of having him on the floor.

2-Finish in the Top 6 (I actually don't see playing as the 5 or 6 seed as a huge disadvantage, you'll play a bad team and you'll shake the 'big game nervousness' that the 3 or 4 will still have to play through)

3-Tytan Anderson takes advantage of the minutes he's earned and is the league's most improved player. The staff has raved about him from the moment he got on campus and injuries and guys coming back due to the COVID year limited his minutes. Jake has been glowing in his praise for him.

4-Start fast. The OOC schedule is, again, really aggressive. Wouldn't want it the other way but this is a very young team being thrown into the fire. Richmond, Virginia, San Francisco and Wichita/Grand Canyon out of the gate. Look like you belong.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » October 24th, 2022, 9:12 am

Have a winning record and finish in the top half of the conference. I'm not expecting a lot.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 24th, 2022, 1:14 pm

BCPanther wrote:Tytan Anderson takes advantage of the minutes he's earned and is the league's most improved player.

Sorry, Connor Hickman already has dibs.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 24th, 2022, 1:26 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Tytan Anderson takes advantage of the minutes he's earned and is the league's most improved player.

Sorry, Connor Hickman already has dibs.

How about they split it and the league gets three bids?
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hooper » October 24th, 2022, 2:40 pm

For Indiana State:

Just get the program back to somewhere close to where Lansing had it when he was let go.....ya know, winning, finishing 3rd/4th in the league, legit NBA prospects on the team, etc.
Hooper
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » October 24th, 2022, 3:46 pm

I find Indiana St interesting this year; year 2 in a system that's a bit different , has some guys who are experienced in it now as well as experienced at the D-1 level after coming over from D-2.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball