MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Postby BCPanther » November 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
BCPanther wrote:We're also starting to lose the radio guys that have been around forever.

Gary Rima and Dick Luedke retired. Art Hains got sick. Mike Reis and Dave Snell aren't getting any younger.

UNI's new guy, JW Cox, is really good but they're sending him to do basketball solo and not hiring an analyst, apparently.

I get that media is evolving but that hometown/local stuff is really going to be missed.

And, Larry Cotlar, Drake's long time PBP guy passed away unexpectedly (drowned on a city street) a few years ago.

Drake hasn't had a dedicated local beat writer in many years now. The current Des Moines Register reporter assigned to Drake is a recent college grad who writes like she's in high school.

She's awful. I mean some of the worst writing I've ever seen from someone who gets paid to do it. How does Tommy Birch not cover Drake for that paper. How on earth do you have your best writer only do the I-Cubs and Iowa State Women's Basketball?

UNI is lucky that we have two that do a pretty good job. Cole Bair covers us for The Cedar Rapids Gazette and is pretty good and the new guy from The Courier Ethan Petrik has done a good job with football so you'd hope that continues with basketball.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » November 4th, 2022, 4:42 pm

BCPanther wrote:
She's awful. I mean some of the worst writing I've ever seen from someone who gets paid to do it.

Here's a quote from a recent article

Sometimes there's an asterisk attached to Drake’s success. Basically, comments saying the Bulldogs are good, despite their size. Sure, Tucker DeVries is 6-foot-7, and ShanQuan Hemphill was 6-6, but the other top scorers last season were under 6-foot-3.

What in the actual fu**? An asterisk due to being undersized? No, an asterisk would indicated some kind of extenuating circumstances, like playing a bunch of 23-24 year old guys (which Drake did). I never heard anybody say "you know, Drake's really good, but it doesn't count because they're undersized".

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 568016007/

Same article has this gem

The senior transfer came to Des Moines in January, and he was able to spend time with the team – without playing – as the Bulldogs made a deep run in the MVC Tournament. So, yeah, he should be familiar with Darian DeVries' system by now.

So, yeah, your writing is like you're in junior high.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » November 4th, 2022, 10:51 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
She's awful. I mean some of the worst writing I've ever seen from someone who gets paid to do it.

Sometimes there's an asterisk attached to Drake’s success. Basically, comments saying the Bulldogs are good, despite their size. Sure, Tucker DeVries is 6-foot-7, and ShanQuan Hemphill was 6-6, but the other top scorers last season were under 6-foot-3.

What in the actual fu**? An asterisk due to being undersized? No, an asterisk would indicated some kind of extenuating circumstances, like playing a bunch of 23-24 year old guys (which Drake did). I never heard anybody say "you know, Drake's really good, but it doesn't count because they're undersized".

The senior transfer came to Des Moines in January, and he was able to spend time with the team – without playing – as the Bulldogs made a deep run in the MVC Tournament. So, yeah, he should be familiar with Darian DeVries' system by now.

Yea, this is awful to read...Jeez...
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » November 5th, 2022, 8:10 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Yea, this is awful to read...Jeez...

That’s real bad. I haven’t looked further into this writer but in fairness to her, this article reads like a column vs a “news” article, so technically, it lends itself to opinion. Just in this case, opinion that is not well stated.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » November 5th, 2022, 6:08 pm

She’s a recent college grad who probably didn’t have any prior MVC background knowledge (bio says Muhlenberg/Syracuse grad).

A lot of people would have a rough start if they were assigned something they’re completely unfamiliar with fresh out of college.

Hopefully she gets better as she gets more experience. She seems enthusiastic on her Twitter feed, so that’s something to build off.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball