MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Postby SalukiWorld » October 30th, 2022, 8:32 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Drake apparently tied Oral Roberts.....but the Bulldogs played without 3 starters who were rehabbing from injuries

Oral Roberts still has Max Abmas there, might be a decent team
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dawgbit » October 31st, 2022, 10:50 am

In the Kansas State scrimmage, where it was report SIU led for most of the game, Lance Jones did not play, due to injury. Likewise, JD Muila did not play in Alabama exhibition due to injury.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » November 1st, 2022, 9:17 am

As they should've, ILST rocked Wooster. There was a pretty cool story around the game. Pedon played D3 hoops at Wooster. Recently, his HC retired and hand over the reigns to his long-time assistant, who was also on the staff when Pedon was in school.

Pedon had his old HC sitting (standing) behind the ISU bench for the game and had him come to the post-game presser with him. You can take the coach out of the game, but you can take the game out of the coach.

As far as the game itself, the Birds first half defense was impressive, only giving up 17 points. Blo-No native, transfer from WIU, Colton Sandage had a great game. He was nursing a back injury but still ended up with 23 (?) points and that included sinking a couple free throws after being undercut on a fastbreak dunk attempt. Sandage had a ugly fall, but got up and made both. The player who undercut him got a flagrant 2 and ejected.

There is still a big question mark around the post play, but the wing/guard positions look solid. Lewis is the same player he was. Knows his role and plays within the flow of the game. I was very impressed with Elon transfer, Darius Burford. He's going to be starting at the 1, after having played mostly off the ball in his early career. This kid is one of the fastest I've seen on the court. I've seen fast players before but they've often been out of control. Not DB. He controlled the pace of the game with his quickness. He's got a knack for the ball with 4 steals that also led to points. The other "pure guard," Malachi Poindexter, xfer from Virginia, played a solid game. Also another guy who is just calm out there.

The best thing to come from the game is seeing the team move the ball and hit open shots. Also liked to see 17 assists on 29 buckets.

Still a lot of area for improvement but I liked what I saw from the Pedon era in Game 0.

Birds' tip against Western Illinois on 11/7.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » November 1st, 2022, 5:07 pm

Dawgbit wrote:In the Kansas State scrimmage, where it was report SIU led for most of the game, Lance Jones did not play, due to injury. Likewise, JD Muila did not play in Alabama exhibition due to injury.

Is Muila's injury a long-term thing?
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dawgbit » November 1st, 2022, 5:50 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:
Dawgbit wrote:In the Kansas State scrimmage, where it was report SIU led for most of the game, Lance Jones did not play, due to injury. Likewise, JD Muila did not play in Alabama exhibition due to injury.

Is Muila's injury a long-term thing?

Don’t know, hope not.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » November 2nd, 2022, 8:14 pm

Bradley beat Illinois Wesleyan by 15. No one got hurt.

Onward to the regular season.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » November 2nd, 2022, 8:25 pm

UNI looked pretty solid in an 84-52 win over Dubuque.

Another D3 on Monday night before things really get going.

Let's roll!
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » November 2nd, 2022, 8:54 pm

Racers beat NAIA Brescia in an exhibition tonight 102-57, which is typical when Murray plays them. Balanced scoring and minutes. Looked rusty a bit but they really picked it up in the second half. Murray is probably the smallest I've ever seen them in my 30 years of watching but are quick and athletic. Potential for a Top 4 finish if they can gel.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BigMacAttack » November 2nd, 2022, 10:06 pm

UE beat NAIA Huntington University 74-64. Aces had 4 players score in double figures and 9 players play more than 15 minutes. This team will definitely not look like Lickliter's teams.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » November 3rd, 2022, 7:40 am

BigMacAttack wrote:UE beat NAIA Huntington University 74-64. Aces had 4 players score in double figures and 9 players play more than 15 minutes. This team will definitely not look like Lickliter's teams.

I don't know. Competitive games with NAIA teams sounds EXACTLY like a Lickliter team...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball