MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Secret Scrimmage/Exhibition Thread

Postby Red » November 4th, 2022, 8:57 am

siudawgs wrote:Why is it so hard to find any info about DeVries' injury on the internet or social media? Coverage of Drake appears to be almost as lacking as it is for SIU. But you'd think the preseason conference POY being in a boot would generate some coverage?

Devries out? That got my attention, but that would be bad for the MVC and terrible for D+.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BullHawk0402 » November 4th, 2022, 9:11 am

Red wrote:
siudawgs wrote:Why is it so hard to find any info about DeVries' injury on the internet or social media? Coverage of Drake appears to be almost as lacking as it is for SIU. But you'd think the preseason conference POY being in a boot would generate some coverage?

Devries out? That got my attention, but that would be bad for the MVC and terrible for D+.

Luckily he only has tendinitis and the boot is precautionary. He would have played if the game meant anything.
BullHawk0402
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby DUBulldog » November 4th, 2022, 10:10 am

BullHawk0402 wrote:
Red wrote:

Luckily he only has tendinitis and the boot is precautionary. He would have played if the game meant anything.

I see that's what Father Harry is saying, but haven't seen it anywhere else. Father Harry seems like a really nice guy, but not always the most accurate.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tribecalledquest » November 4th, 2022, 11:16 am

The lack of local media coverage for MVC teams is sad.

The coaches prefer to control the message and have state run media.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » November 4th, 2022, 12:47 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:The lack of local media coverage for MVC teams is sad.

I definitely agree that local media coverage is bad. Valpo probably has the leader in the clubhouse with Paul Oren but after that....yikes. INST's beat guy Todd Golden just took a job to cover IU, leaving ILST's Benson as the longest tenured beat writer in the MVC. Benson is not only ISU's MBB beat writer, he also covers high school football, basketball, amateur golf, etc. At times it feels like being on the ISU beat is a burden for him. Luckily, the on-campus paper has been picking up lately and providing fans the info they need.

One interesting thing that came out recently was when Mast got hurt. Seemingly unprompted, BU put out a statement saying he was hurt with a noncontact injury and didn't have additional details. They could've just as easy waited the handful of days until they had the 4-6 week (or whatever it was) info. I don't know if I've seen a "hey fans, just a heads up, this guy is hurt but we don't know anything else," statement at this level.

But to your point, local media coverage itself is more of the issue than the coaches wanting to "control the message," IMO.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » November 4th, 2022, 1:02 pm

We're also starting to lose the radio guys that have been around forever.

Gary Rima and Dick Luedke retired. Art Hains got sick. Mike Reis and Dave Snell aren't getting any younger.

UNI's new guy, JW Cox, is really good but they're sending him to do basketball solo and not hiring an analyst, apparently.

I get that media is evolving but that hometown/local stuff is really going to be missed.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » November 4th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Adunk33 wrote:

I definitely agree that local media coverage is bad. Valpo probably has the leader in the clubhouse with Paul Oren but after that....yikes. INST's beat guy Todd Golden just took a job to cover IU, leaving ILST's Benson as the longest tenured beat writer in the MVC. Benson is not only ISU's MBB beat writer, he also covers high school football, basketball, amateur golf, etc. At times it feels like being on the ISU beat is a burden for him. Luckily, the on-campus paper has been picking up lately and providing fans the info they need.

One interesting thing that came out recently was when Mast got hurt. Seemingly unprompted, BU put out a statement saying he was hurt with a noncontact injury and didn't have additional details. They could've just as easy waited the handful of days until they had the 4-6 week (or whatever it was) info. I don't know if I've seen a "hey fans, just a heads up, this guy is hurt but we don't know anything else," statement at this level.

But to your point, local media coverage itself is more of the issue than the coaches wanting to "control the message," IMO.

Wyatt Wheeler does a fantastic job covering Missouri State for the Springfield News Leader. He also covers HS sports and other things as well, so his time is considerably divided. But he gives MSU athletics more than fair attention and provides great content.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » November 4th, 2022, 1:58 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

Wyatt Wheeler does a fantastic job covering Missouri State for the Springfield News Leader. He also covers HS sports and other things as well, so his time is considerably divided. But he gives MSU athletics more than fair attention and provides great content.

And he's a pretty entertaining Twitter follow.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » November 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

Good call on Wyatt! He does a great job covering the Bears and the local area sports.

Also, good call from another poster about the "old guard" going out on the radio side, too. That's too bad to hear UNI isn't going to bring in an analyst. That's a lot of on-air time for a PBP man to fill. It can be done, but can quickly reduce seemingly like the PBP guy is talking just to hear himself talk.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » November 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm

BCPanther wrote:We're also starting to lose the radio guys that have been around forever.

Gary Rima and Dick Luedke retired. Art Hains got sick. Mike Reis and Dave Snell aren't getting any younger.

UNI's new guy, JW Cox, is really good but they're sending him to do basketball solo and not hiring an analyst, apparently.

I get that media is evolving but that hometown/local stuff is really going to be missed.

And, Larry Cotlar, Drake's long time PBP guy passed away unexpectedly (drowned on a city street) a few years ago.

Drake hasn't had a dedicated local beat writer in many years now. The current Des Moines Register reporter assigned to Drake is a recent college grad who writes like she's in high school.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball