Checking in on our former MVC mates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » November 23rd, 2022, 10:13 am

I hadn't paid much attention to Creighton, Wichita State, or Loyola until I saw the CU-Arkansas game last night. Creighton looks really good. They're a top 10 team so they should be good, but scoring 90 on the Hogs is pretty impressive.

On the other hand, Wichita State lost to San Francisco last night in KC. That isn't a terrible loss, but apparently they lost a home buy game to Alcorn State too? I said it back when the left for greener pastures that the AAC would not be a net gain over the long term and I have to think there are people on that campus who regret it. And this is before UCF, Cincy, and Houston have even left the league and the AAC turns into CUSA.

Loyola has lost three straight and hasn't been terribly competitive against Tulsa, Boise St, and Texas A&M. I have no hard feelings for the Ramblers and wish them well, but it's been a rough start for them.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Checking in on our former MVC mates

Postby Birdfan2018 » November 25th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Red wrote:I hadn't paid much attention to Creighton, Wichita State, or Loyola until I saw the CU-Arkansas game last night. Creighton looks really good. They're a top 10 team so they should be good, but scoring 90 on the Hogs is pretty impressive.

On the other hand, Wichita State lost to San Francisco last night in KC. That isn't a terrible loss, but apparently they lost a home buy game to Alcorn State too? I said it back when the left for greener pastures that the AAC would not be a net gain over the long term and I have to think there are people on that campus who regret it. And this is before UCF, Cincy, and Houston have even left the league and the AAC turns into CUSA.

Loyola has lost three straight and hasn't been terribly competitive against Tulsa, Boise St, and Texas A&M. I have no hard feelings for the Ramblers and wish them well, but it's been a rough start for them.

Harvard 61
Loyola 55
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » November 25th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:
Red wrote:I hadn't paid much attention to Creighton, Wichita State, or Loyola until I saw the CU-Arkansas game last night. Creighton looks really good. They're a top 10 team so they should be good, but scoring 90 on the Hogs is pretty impressive.

Harvard 61
Loyola 55

But Loyola is more “like” Harvard academically - just ask them - so this loss is fine.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 25th, 2022, 8:35 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:

Harvard 61
Loyola 55

But Loyola is more “like” Harvard academically - just ask them - so this loss is fine.

Even if they struggle in the A-10 I doubt many Loyola fans or administrators will regret the move. Even if we ignore the A-10's head to head success against the MVC this year (I think we are 1-7 against the A-10 so far) I have no doubt that institutional factors (East Coast recruiting in big markets more Private Religiously affiliated schools that are similar to Loyola institutionally) weighed heavily in Loyola's decision to leave. These are things the MVC cannot match even if it were to offer superior on court play which so far this year especially it has not. Even though I didn't want them to leave I know the league will be fine without them but there's no question that the current A-10 is a step up for them. Whether that will remain true a few years down the road once the Big East recognizes its need to expand following potential future realignment events is another matter but even then Loyola might stay in the A-10 for institutional reasons and just schedule a bunch of MVC teams out of conference for the schedule boost.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BUFanatic » November 26th, 2022, 1:15 am

Birdfan2018 wrote:

Harvard 61
Loyola 55

Seeing as I have to suffer through a potentially Lame Duck season with Coach’s contract ending after this year this makes me extremely happy.

Also wish Dana could have gotten the win over Izzo just now.

EDIT: This is a good opportunity to explain to our new conference friends and Valpo how the Valley Runs Deep…
Dana Altman was good at winning Arch Madness, like real good. He was in charge of Creighton when they were in the Valley. I generally root for Oregon because of him, nice guy and good coach. Can only speak for me personally but I dislike McDermott’s Creighton and strongly dislike Loyola. Hate is a term reserved for Loyola depending on the day (specifically Porter Moser’s Loyola partly because he used to coach ISUr), Greggggg Marshall (Old Wichita coach), Wichita, Tulsa, ISU, and USC (non-Valley related, football because I’m a lifelong Irish fan). Welcome! Also my Dad has a beef with DePaul. Not sure what that’s about.
BUFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » November 26th, 2022, 7:33 am

I thought this was gonna be a thread about the players who moved on like Mosely, Carter, Stevens, etc.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » November 26th, 2022, 8:18 pm

I assume you learned otherwise when you read the first post?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » November 27th, 2022, 7:50 am

Drakey wrote:I assume you learned otherwise when you read the first post?

Thus my post
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » November 28th, 2022, 3:47 pm

bleach wrote:
Drakey wrote:I assume you learned otherwise when you read the first post?

Thus my post

:Stupid:
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » November 29th, 2022, 9:17 am

I don't think it would hurt to send a feeler to Wichita State about rejoining the Missouri Valley.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball