Checking in on our former MVC mates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Checking in on our former MVC mates

Postby bradley_townie » December 1st, 2022, 6:21 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Wichita State forced to come back one day. It would require a lot of sizable realignment dominos to fall with the whole thing not happening if just one of these doesn't happen but it could happen.

Suppose both Memphis and SMU find their way out of the AAC and the AAC backfills with more football or market schools without proven success in basketball.

Suppose San Diego State and Boise State both find their way out of the Mountain West OR

The Pac 12 disintegrates and absorbs the MWC schools

Then Wichita State wouldn't have much choice but to return unless the Big East chose to take them which is unlikely.

Of course if the Pac 12 is completely dissolved and Oregon State and Washington State are forced to join the Mountain West (who also holds on to Boise State and San Diego State) then that would likely be a more palatable option than the MVC but it's not like Wichita State has been setting the world on fire since they joined the AAC so I wonder if they would even be in the position to get a conference promotion as a non-FB school at this point.

Returning to the MVC may be their only option after the next big wave of realignment.

Wichita State is never returning to the Valley in its current form. Their fans and boosters see our conference as beneath them. If the MVC benefitted from realignment and added some other top mid-majors and became a kind of super mid-major/Midwest conference, that might be a different story.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » December 1st, 2022, 6:51 pm

Wichita’s AAC Exit Fee: $5 million
Wichita’s AAC TV Share: $1.7 million

They’re not paying $5 million for less annual tv revenue.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » December 2nd, 2022, 5:53 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Wichita’s AAC Exit Fee: $5 million

What does the MVC payout annually? I can't find any info on that anywhere. I've also heard people say that the A10 has a better deal, but do they really because I can't find any info on that either?

Big time football seems to be where the money is. The bottom 3 FBS leagues' schools make $400-600K per year, but obviously none of those schools are big time. The MWC is at $4M p/school and the AAC is at $7M p/school (excluding Wichita). The P5's are all at double digit M's p/school. The Big East is at $4M p/school with their FOX contract.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » December 2nd, 2022, 8:58 am

On pg 9, TV rights income is $2,367,000. $236,700 per school.
https://pp-990.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.c ... dc56c7bb87
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » December 2nd, 2022, 9:52 am

Wichita State isn't coming back, for better or worse.

They decided to take a risk and joined the unstable world of the G5 and, well, instability struck.

The AAC has schools with good hoops history, but present-day success is lacking. Some of these places have good resources, but it hasn't necessarily translated into success on the court.

And franky, most of these schools will leave if they have the chance.

Memphis - Penny has been there since 2018 and has 1 NCAA trip. Frankly, that's a failure.
SMU - No NCAAs since 2017 and only 2 since 1993. Larry Brown's impact is gone.
South Florida - they have basketball?
Temple - Aaron McKie is in his fourth season, with mediocre results and no NCAA trips.
East Carolina - See USF
Tulane - See ECU
Tulsa - WTF has happened to Tulsa?
Charlotte - No NCAAs in 17 yrs.
FAU - Boca is nice
UAB - Andy Kennedy has been good, so he'll likely bounce after this year or next. It's the UAB way to keep a coach 3-5 years
North Texas - Grant McCasland has done a nice job at UNT
Rice - Damn fine academic institution
UTSA - Their football team has been fun to watch

I understand why they left. I truly do. I just don't think they ended up in a better situation, mainly because of the instability of their league.

I'm sure the extra TV money is nice vs what the MVC distributes, but the defections put that deal back on the negotiating table. It will be interesting to see if they can pull the same numbers going forward. I believe the AAC is only a year or so into its current agreement with ESPN, but losing Cincinnati, Houston and UCF is gonna hurt their position with ESPN.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 2nd, 2022, 11:07 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Wichita’s AAC Exit Fee: $5 million

Wichita State will forever enjoy their higher payout from that conference. They will also enjoy being in a 1 bid conference that will be lower rated than their old MVC they couldn't stay in. Money talks more than anything else. That is their forever conference unless the Big East bails them out.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » December 2nd, 2022, 11:36 am

I'm sure the payout covers it but you can't forget all their extra expenses having to fly all their programs to NC, Florida, Pennsylvania.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » December 2nd, 2022, 2:27 pm

Take the OG deserter Tulsa. Yeah, their teams stink. BUT, their budget is probably close to triple now what it was in the Valley (granted that's almost 30 years now).
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » December 4th, 2022, 9:46 am

Tulsa is a private school so we don’t know the extent of their finances but I’d wager they bleed money more than anyone. Most FBS schools charge student fees to support the athletic dept but TU has only 3,700 students. What they do have is a $1.3 billion endowment and I’d imagine a cohort of megadonors insisting on FBS. Must be nice to live in oil country.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoneyPower » December 6th, 2022, 7:02 pm

The American also has much higher basketball budgets than the MVC on average.

Here's an interesting article for whomever would like to read it:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/col ... dgets-2022
MoneyPower
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball