Checking in on our former MVC mates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Checking in on our former MVC mates

Postby Red » January 3rd, 2023, 3:13 pm

FWIW (and yes, I know it's early) - the A10 is projected to get 1 NCAA bid and the AAC is projected to get 2. And none of them are recent defections from the MVC.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » February 22nd, 2023, 8:54 am

unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2023, 9:43 am

unipanther99 wrote:https://theathletic.com/4237862/2023/02/22/loyola-chicago-basketball-a10/?source=emp_shared_article

Good read.

Loyola bottoming out, which they were going to do here too, is killing perception and pissing me off.

The A10 and The Valley are the exact same league, we just had the audacity to not be located on the east coast and don't recruit kids from bad programs in Philadelphia and New York.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » February 22nd, 2023, 9:47 am

BCPanther wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:https://theathletic.com/4237862/2023/02/22/loyola-chicago-basketball-a10/?source=emp_shared_article

Good read.

Loyola bottoming out, which they were going to do here too, is killing perception and pissing me off.

The A10 and The Valley are the exact same league, we just had the audacity to not be located on the east coast and don't recruit kids from bad programs in Philadelphia and New York.

KenPom has the MVC at 16th this year below the Ivy, Sun Belt, and Big West. The A10 is still much better. That being said, Loyola would be bad even if they stayed this year. They’re a complete dumpster.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2023, 10:12 am

SalukiWorld wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Good read.

KenPom has the MVC at 16th this year below the Ivy, Sun Belt, and Big West. The A10 is still much better. That being said, Loyola would be bad even if they stayed this year. They’re a complete dumpster.

We're both 1 bid leagues and, if it's Drake or Bradley, they'll have a better seed than VCU or whoever comes out of the A10.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 22nd, 2023, 10:27 am

Good read.

“Realistically, I didn’t expect to be a top 25 team, like we were last year,” says Drew Valentine, the Ramblers’ second-year coach burdened with a first-year transition that’s caught in a rip current.

His team was ranked for one week in January last season, not sure why he’s stretching the truth here.

“With 11 new guys, you’re bound to strike out from a basketball evaluation standpoint,” Valentine says.

Yes, and those guys you struck out on are on your current team with friends all over the team and see you everyday, and there’s a good chance they’re reading this quote. How does saying this publicly help his relationships with his players?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » February 22nd, 2023, 10:57 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

Good read.

“Realistically, I didn’t expect to be a top 25 team, like we were last year,” says Drew Valentine, the Ramblers’ second-year coach burdened with a first-year transition that’s caught in a rip current.

His team was ranked for one week in January last season, not sure why he’s stretching the truth here.

“With 11 new guys, you’re bound to strike out from a basketball evaluation standpoint,” Valentine says.

Yes, and those guys you struck out on are on your current team with friends all over the team and see you everyday, and there’s a good chance they’re reading this quote. How does saying this publicly help his relationships with his players?

He really said that he struck out on the guys HE brought in? Holy sh*t. If I was one of the 10's of fans that Loyola has, I'd be calling for his head.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2023, 11:10 am

Man, never would've guessed that Valentine was a petulant man-child. I thought the toddler in the cereal aisle act on the bench was just a ploy... :roll:
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » February 22nd, 2023, 11:51 am

Adunk33 wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

Good read.

He really said that he struck out on the guys HE brought in? Holy sh*t. If I was one of the 10's of fans that Loyola has, I'd be calling for his head.

Valentine was the safe hire for Loyola at the time for the sake of continuity, but wrong hire for them long term. When Porter left he was able to retain the bulk of their roster which allowed them to do some good things last year. But he has some serious issues as we have all seen.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ValleyFAN » February 22nd, 2023, 11:53 am

Some people on the Rambler board think they would be in the mix for a league title this year if they were still in the MVC. I almost spit out my coffee.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball