MVC Games Week 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 4

Postby Adunk33 » December 2nd, 2022, 12:26 pm

ILST put up a hell of a fight in a game they had no business being in. In the end, more than a handful of costly turnovers really hurt them.

Expect this Redbird team to be more of a road warrior-type. They play with a tone of stress and pressure at home. The 2 road wins and last night, we really saw a team settle in and mostly be who they are going to.

It's been a LONG time since I've expected the Redbirds to compete on the road. This seems to be the team to do it. Are they gonna win all (or any) of those games? Nah. But they'll be in them, which is refreshing. When Muller released his schedule every year, I'd look at the road games and automatically count them as losses.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:Yes basically everyone does it. Evansville always baffled me when I lived there in 2020. They were always reporting 5,000+ fans, but you couldn't spit in any direction and hit a person. Crowd seemed closer to 500 than 5,000 every game I went to.

We've heard your story before, and it is still quite the exaggeration. Like BCPanther said, everybody is reporting tickets sold. Were you at the debacle Wednesday night? The lower bowl seats around 6K. 60% of that is 3,600. 60% of the lower bowl filled is very conservative, especially considering the suites, baseline, etc. There were a couple of games at the end of the Covid season where they opened up to 25% or 2,500. That place looked very sparse at that point. I have been a season ticket holder for years, and I have never seen it that sparse otherwise.

There are plenty of barbs you can throw for the last 20 years, but considering we stay near the top regardless of accounting method with the product on the floor, attendance is not one of them.

It was during the McCarthy mess. They beat Kentucky, sold a bunch of season tickets, and basically never won again lol. I literally remember seeing the front page of the newspaper titled “Evansville setting Attendance Records” with a picture of a couple and a bunch of empty seats around them. It truly was the most accurate picture and title to describe exactly what I’m putting on here. It’s not an exaggeration. I went to plenty of games.

Granted, the one bias I will admit that I have is because the in-game experience over there was truly awful. And it’s not just the product on the court.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » December 2nd, 2022, 12:33 pm

Adunk33 wrote:ILST put up a hell of a fight in a game they had no business being in....

I’m curious why you say they had no business being in the game?
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Adunk33 » December 2nd, 2022, 12:44 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:ILST put up a hell of a fight in a game they had no business being in....

This season, the team has been having success when they make their free throws, take care of the ball and hit the 3. In the first half, they shot 16% from 3. Whole game they shot 6 FTs. They had 14 turnovers and I'd say 7 of them were unforced by way of the travel and throwing the ball out of bounds. The bench had been a bright spot previously as well, providing a spark. They had 4 points off the bench.

Overcoming those obstacles to make a game out of it impressed me.

Plus, as mentioned in my original post, I'm still getting used to the Birds being competitive on the road. Something we haven't seen in a long time.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » December 2nd, 2022, 1:50 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
smidge34 wrote:

This season, the team has been having success when they make their free throws, take care of the ball and hit the 3. In the first half, they shot 16% from 3. Whole game they shot 6 FTs. They had 14 turnovers and I'd say 7 of them were unforced by way of the travel and throwing the ball out of bounds. The bench had been a bright spot previously as well, providing a spark. They had 4 points off the bench.

Overcoming those obstacles to make a game out of it impressed me.

Plus, as mentioned in my original post, I'm still getting used to the Birds being competitive on the road. Something we haven't seen in a long time.

OIC, I thought you meant they shouldn’t have been it from get go. Agreed on all accounts. I’d love to have Seneca Knight, thought he was best player on the floor down the stretch.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby E-Villan » December 2nd, 2022, 2:34 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:It was during the McCarthy mess. They beat Kentucky, sold a bunch of season tickets, and basically never won again lol. I literally remember seeing the front page of the newspaper titled “Evansville setting Attendance Records” with a picture of a couple and a bunch of empty seats around them. It truly was the most accurate picture and title to describe exactly what I’m putting on here. It’s not an exaggeration. I went to plenty of games.

Granted, the one bias I will admit that I have is because the in-game experience over there was truly awful. And it’s not just the product on the court.

That must of been after McCarty was canned. Prior to him being canned, the team was 9-4 and the last home game was with Murray. Saturday night, and the last time I remember the upper level being open. Well over 7K and they brought quite a few. Exciting game with UE winning the last shot. The place was rocking. Going 0-18 immediately afterwards will temper excitement.

There were other issues. The previous AD literally sucked the life out of the place. He got rid of the pep band and moved weekday start times to 6:00PM. That alone knocked out anyone under 65 with a job or family. Mix all of that up, then throw in the excitement of Todd Lickliter and you do have real disaster. An arena with 3K retired folks, watching shot clock violations and 40 point beat downs doesn't create a lot of energy.

The new AD has already fixed a lot of that. Games have been moved back to 7:00PM, and the pep band is back. There is even a video of the AD showing up to band practice and handing everyone a jersey. A strong effort to get students, including several shuttles from campus to the Ford for each game is helping with students. The culture from the admins has changed drastically. It had to. The reality is until there are competitive games, and games with impactful meanings for us, it will be hard to reach the atmosphere we were accustomed to for many years. Winning cures all, and I have been to plenty of games in Carbondale that resembled a morgue as well over the years.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » December 2nd, 2022, 3:59 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:It was during the McCarthy mess. They beat Kentucky, sold a bunch of season tickets, and basically never won again lol. I literally remember seeing the front page of the newspaper titled “Evansville setting Attendance Records” with a picture of a couple and a bunch of empty seats around them. It truly was the most accurate picture and title to describe exactly what I’m putting on here. It’s not an exaggeration. I went to plenty of games.

That must of been after McCarty was canned. Prior to him being canned, the team was 9-4 and the last home game was with Murray. Saturday night, and the last time I remember the upper level being open. Well over 7K and they brought quite a few. Exciting game with UE winning the last shot. The place was rocking. Going 0-18 immediately afterwards will temper excitement.

There were other issues. The previous AD literally sucked the life out of the place. He got rid of the pep band and moved weekday start times to 6:00PM. That alone knocked out anyone under 65 with a job or family. Mix all of that up, then throw in the excitement of Todd Lickliter and you do have real disaster. An arena with 3K retired folks, watching shot clock violations and 40 point beat downs doesn't create a lot of energy.

The new AD has already fixed a lot of that. Games have been moved back to 7:00PM, and the pep band is back. There is even a video of the AD showing up to band practice and handing everyone a jersey. A strong effort to get students, including several shuttles from campus to the Ford for each game is helping with students. The culture from the admins has changed drastically. It had to. The reality is until there are competitive games, and games with impactful meanings for us, it will be hard to reach the atmosphere we were accustomed to for many years. Winning cures all, and I have been to plenty of games in Carbondale that resembled a morgue as well over the years.

I give Evansville a lot of crap. And will continue to…

The reality is where I’m from is an hour from Carbondale, 90 minutes from UE, 90 minutes from Murray, 90 minutes to SEMO, but on the Illinois side of the river. I legitimately would love to have 3-4 really good programs within 90 miles. I plan on going to Murray later this month.

With that said, during my short time living in Evansville, although I loved the town and the activities…UE just pissed me off lol. But those attendance numbers I bring up… I’m not making them up lol.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dawgbit » December 3rd, 2022, 8:26 am

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Couldn't have given Belmont and Murray a friendlier start....

I'll go--

Drake
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Belmont
Murray State

UNI
Drake
Bradley
Belmont
Murray State

UNI isn't winning in Peoria on Wednesday. I will buy you a beer in STL in March if that happens.

I don't feel great about it either but 'ride or die' and what not. I think this UNI team will be pretty salty come January but there is definitely some real inconsistency to work through right now.

How about we not play each other in November/December next year?

I hope you guys get Phyfe back, I feel badly for him. It really sucks.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces44 » December 3rd, 2022, 9:41 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:

I give Evansville a lot of crap. And will continue to…

The reality is where I’m from is an hour from Carbondale, 90 minutes from UE, 90 minutes from Murray, 90 minutes to SEMO, but on the Illinois side of the river. I legitimately would love to have 3-4 really good programs within 90 miles. I plan on going to Murray later this month.

With that said, during my short time living in Evansville, although I loved the town and the activities…UE just pissed me off lol. But those attendance numbers I bring up… I’m not making them up lol.

Your ridiculous opinion has been duly noted
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby isumvc1 » December 3rd, 2022, 2:05 pm

Sycamores avoid a trap game letdown after the Drake win and defeat Miami-Ohio today 88-61
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball