Drake 2:00 PM ESPN+
Southern Illinois 4:00 PM ESPNU
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Re: MVC Games Week 8

Postby SalukiWorld » December 28th, 2022, 9:15 pm

Belmont beats Bradley. Gonna be tough to beat Belmont when they get 6 3's from Friberg. Bradley shut down Sheppard and still lost. Belmont did a good job on Mast.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 28th, 2022, 9:42 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:Belmont beats Bradley. Gonna be tough to beat Belmont when they get 6 3's from Friberg. Bradley shut down Sheppard and still lost. Belmont did a good job on Mast.

Stinks as a Bradley fan but it's good having Belmont in the league. Bradley, at times, will struggle offensively and had a really bad stretch during the second half that they couldn't overcome. Belmont made some big shots - Davidson made a hard shot to put them ahead - and then Mast missed one he usually is automatic with.

I like Casey Alexander but he screwed up and didn't foul and Bradley got off three clean looks to tie.

Bradley is still a top-two team in the league and Belmont a top-five. Good win for the Bruins.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BruinGrad » December 29th, 2022, 5:07 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Belmont beats Bradley. Gonna be tough to beat Belmont when they get 6 3's from Friberg. Bradley shut down Sheppard and still lost. Belmont did a good job on Mast.

Stinks as a Bradley fan but it's good having Belmont in the league. Bradley, at times, will struggle offensively and had a really bad stretch during the second half that they couldn't overcome. Belmont made some big shots - Davidson made a hard shot to put them ahead - and then Mast missed one he usually is automatic with.

I like Casey Alexander but he screwed up and didn't foul and Bradley got off three clean looks to tie.

Bradley is still a top-two team in the league and Belmont a top-five. Good win for the Bruins.

I like Casey too and like you, I was surprised by not fouling to eat a few seconds off the clock. I am happy to escape with a win though. We still need some more talent at the post. I'm glad we have 3 signees that are 6-8 or better coming in next year.
BruinGrad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ValleyFAN » December 29th, 2022, 6:27 am

Missouri State was all over UNI last night in Cedar Falls, up by as much as 22 pts before a late Panther flurry ended things with a 79-67 final. UNI was really bothered by The Bears length and athleticism all night, turning the ball over on offense and struggling ti get stops on offense. Georgia transfer Dalen Ridgnal has gone from the end of the bench to starter over the past few games and he was awesome last night scoring 24. I think Ford is starting to figure out his roster and who needs the most floortime. Previous starters Alston Mason (Oklahoma) a and Bryan Trimble (Akron) don’t even play anymore while others like Ridgnal and freshman Damien Mayo have seen their minutes soar. The Bears have been playing good basketball ever since the second half of the ORU roadie two weeks ago, interested to see how they’ll look against Drake on Sunday.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » December 29th, 2022, 7:01 am

BruinGrad wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I like Casey too and like you, I was surprised by not fouling to eat a few seconds off the clock. I am happy to escape with a win though. We still need some more talent at the post. I'm glad we have 3 signees that are 6-8 or better coming in next year.

I was surprised how bad the Belmont post guys were. Now, that said, Reink Mast had his worst game of the season so maybe they get some credit for their physicality. But their skill set isn't very good. Sheppard and the young guards are very good.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » December 29th, 2022, 9:07 am

ValleyFAN wrote:Missouri State was all over UNI last night in Cedar Falls, up by as much as 22 pts before a late Panther flurry ended things with a 79-67 final. UNI was really bothered by The Bears length and athleticism all night, turning the ball over on offense and struggling ti get stops on offense. Georgia transfer Dalen Ridgnal has gone from the end of the bench to starter over the past few games and he was awesome last night scoring 24. I think Ford is starting to figure out his roster and who needs the most floortime. Previous starters Alston Mason (Oklahoma) a and Bryan Trimble (Akron) don’t even play anymore while others like Ridgnal and freshman Damien Mayo have seen their minutes soar. The Bears have been playing good basketball ever since the second half of the ORU roadie two weeks ago, interested to see how they’ll look against Drake on Sunday.

I was super impressed last night sitting there. We've had turnover issues but those have mostly been self inflicted until last night. The vast majority last night were legitimately forced turnovers, the Bears did a great job of pushing us out on the perimeter and making those passing lanes longer which led to deflections and disruptions. Also by far and away the best offense I've seen MSU run under Dana. There was a plan and good actions and they did a really nice job of making contested shots, only a couple of those 3s were truly open looks.

As for UNI, it's going to be an inconsistent mess from here on out without Heise. We don't have a consistent third scorer after Born and Anderson and relying on 3 freshmen to be that next guy is going to be painful at times. We'll win some we shouldn't, we'll lose some we shouldn't. Any hopes of that top half finish probably ended the moment that the pin popped out of Heise's finger in practice on Tuesday. This is the price you pay for the run that we had to get two regular season titles.

Next year looks bright at least. Heise and Phyfe back with Jake's 2nd best ever recruiting class coming in that will bring some much needed athleticism. Time to just enjoy the ride this year because a day with college basketball is better than a day without it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 29th, 2022, 9:20 am

BCPanther wrote:
ValleyFAN wrote:Missouri State was all over UNI last night in Cedar Falls, up by as much as 22 pts before a late Panther flurry ended things with a 79-67 final. UNI was really bothered by The Bears length and athleticism all night, turning the ball over on offense and struggling ti get stops on offense. Georgia transfer Dalen Ridgnal has gone from the end of the bench to starter over the past few games and he was awesome last night scoring 24. I think Ford is starting to figure out his roster and who needs the most floortime. Previous starters Alston Mason (Oklahoma) a and Bryan Trimble (Akron) don’t even play anymore while others like Ridgnal and freshman Damien Mayo have seen their minutes soar. The Bears have been playing good basketball ever since the second half of the ORU roadie two weeks ago, interested to see how they’ll look against Drake on Sunday.

I was super impressed last night sitting there. We've had turnover issues but those have mostly been self inflicted until last night. The vast majority last night were legitimately forced turnovers, the Bears did a great job of pushing us out on the perimeter and making those passing lanes longer which led to deflections and disruptions. Also by far and away the best offense I've seen MSU run under Dana. There was a plan and good actions and they did a really nice job of making contested shots, only a couple of those 3s were truly open looks.

As for UNI, it's going to be an inconsistent mess from here on out without Heise. We don't have a consistent third scorer after Born and Anderson and relying on 3 freshmen to be that next guy is going to be painful at times. We'll win some we shouldn't, we'll lose some we shouldn't. Any hopes of that top half finish probably ended the moment that the pin popped out of Heise's finger in practice on Tuesday. This is the price you pay for the run that we had to get two regular season titles.

Next year looks bright at least. Heise and Phyfe back with Jake's 2nd best ever recruiting class coming in that will bring some much needed athleticism. Time to just enjoy the ride this year because a day with college basketball is better than a day without it.

Is Phyfe really going to come back?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball