MVC Games Week 8

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 8

Postby BCPanther » January 3rd, 2023, 2:56 pm

I like to refer to it as 'Winning the Layup Line' and Missouri State certainly does that.

We've played some really good teams this year and Missouri State was the most impressive.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bearvision » January 3rd, 2023, 6:32 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:What does the "most athletic" even mean? I don't even know how that's measurable as it probably means different things to different fans.

I understand the viewpoint, but you are pretty much going to have a subjective answer to nearly any question. Even the winner of the conference tournament often times objectively isn't the "best" team in the conference etc.

Even the outcome of a close game is a singular event among many possibilities. It's the one that counts in that moment, but really only answers the question "who had the most positive variance that game" as there is never a contest where one side has a zero percent win probability.

By most viewpoints, if you watch all of the teams play, Missouri State will have the best collection of individuals who combine speed, length, agility, leaping ability, size into one roster. That isn't to mean "best" players, as probabilities indicate Missouri State is not the best overall team.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby usmcsaluki » January 4th, 2023, 4:33 am

Bearvision wrote:
usmcsaluki wrote:What does the "most athletic" even mean? I don't even know how that's measurable as it probably means different things to different fans.

I understand the viewpoint, but you are pretty much going to have a subjective answer to nearly any question. Even the winner of the conference tournament often times objectively isn't the "best" team in the conference etc.

Even the outcome of a close game is a singular event among many possibilities. It's the one that counts in that moment, but really only answers the question "who had the most positive variance that game" as there is never a contest where one side has a zero percent win probability.

By most viewpoints, if you watch all of the teams play, Missouri State will have the best collection of individuals who combine speed, length, agility, leaping ability, size into one roster. That isn't to mean "best" players, as probabilities indicate Missouri State is not the best overall team.

My point was that I think it's irrelevant, A, because everyone has a different interpretation of it, B, because no one actually measures it, and C, because I don't think the overall height, speed, agility, or anything else effectively matters - it's just, like you said, a talking point.
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jsaluki080 » January 4th, 2023, 6:45 am

usmcsaluki wrote:
Bearvision wrote:

My point was that I think it's irrelevant, A, because everyone has a different interpretation of it, B, because no one actually measures it, and C, because I don't think the overall height, speed, agility, or anything else effectively matters - it's just, like you said, a talking point.

If this were like a newsroom or something, I'd agree with you. Why are we talking about this subjective opinionated matter?
but this is a message board. It seems like it would be the ideal place to talk about a talking point. ;)
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby siudawgs » January 4th, 2023, 9:35 am

Let's not overcomplicate this. Yes, athleticism matters. Being quick helps. Jumping high helps. Having length helps. No, it's not the only thing that matters: shooting, coaching, teamwork, etc., are all important. But it's nice to have.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bearvision » January 4th, 2023, 1:42 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:
Bearvision wrote:

I would say that's a silly viewpoint, as athleticism is akin to talent, but we all have our opinions.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby usmcsaluki » January 4th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Bearvision wrote:
usmcsaluki wrote:
Bearvision wrote:

I would say that's a silly viewpoint, as athleticism is akin to talent, but we all have our opinions.

I don't think so: whenever someone states that "team x is the most athletic team" it's just based off an eyeball test without any real measurement being done - that's my point. And it's not just here, its on TV, the radio, etc.
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 4th, 2023, 2:43 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:
Bearvision wrote:
usmcsaluki wrote:

I don't think so: whenever someone states that "team x is the most athletic team" it's just based off an eyeball test without any real measurement being done - that's my point. And it's not just here, its on TV, the radio, etc.

So if UIC plays Kansas, it doens't matter which team is bigger, stronger and faster?

All that matters is whichever players coached the best and whoever plays the hardest.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUBears » January 4th, 2023, 8:20 pm

Evansville @ MSU. The more athletic team is winning…
MSUBears
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby tribecalledquest » January 4th, 2023, 8:35 pm

Bradley isn’t good enough. Getting manhandled by a Murray team whose best player isn’t playing.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball