NIL Collective

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NIL Collective

Postby Drakey » January 4th, 2023, 11:00 am

sivert wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:...
Terry also didn't go to class the entire second semester.

Seems to me this has to be reported to NCAA. Not that the NCAA really cares about the Student-Athletes, but if they did, they should know this is what the $$ is doing.

Then did he flunk out? Can that even happen anymore? you never hear of an academically ineligible player. most teams used to have one or two every year.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » January 4th, 2023, 11:06 am

Drakey wrote:
sivert wrote:

Seems to me this has to be reported to NCAA. Not that the NCAA really cares about the Student-Athletes, but if they did, they should know this is what the $$ is doing.

Then did he flunk out? Can that even happen anymore? you never hear of an academically ineligible player. most teams used to have one or two every year.

Universities, especially privates, can't afford to fail anyone. They have to have that revenue stream.

In the case of athletes, all they have to do is get a diagnosis of any kind (mental illness, anxiety, learning disability) and that more or less exempts them from any academic standard. It's bullshit and trivializes the conditions that 'everyday people' are suffering through but, you know, $$$$$$$$$.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sivert » January 4th, 2023, 12:49 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Drakey wrote:...

Universities, especially privates, can't afford to fail anyone. They have to have that revenue stream.

In the case of athletes, all they have to do is get a diagnosis of any kind (mental illness, anxiety, learning disability) and that more or less exempts them from any academic standard. It's bullshit and trivializes the conditions that 'everyday people' are suffering through but, you know, $$$$$$$$$.

Wow - are you saying kids get a "pass" and credit for a class they didn't attend or test in because they have a "diagnosis"?

That's horrifying.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 4th, 2023, 12:55 pm

Drakey wrote:
sivert wrote:

No because he transferred.

It doesn’t matter if you are private or public. All a basketball player has to do is pass first semester. The second semester he plays regardless. He doesn’t technically fail until May.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 4th, 2023, 1:00 pm

sivert wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Drakey wrote:...

Wow - are you saying kids get a "pass" and credit for a class they didn't attend or test in because they have a "diagnosis"?

That's horrifying.

It's awful but it's the cost of all the money in college athletics.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sivert » January 4th, 2023, 1:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Drakey wrote:Then did he flunk out? Can that even happen anymore? you never hear of an academically ineligible player. most teams used to have one or two every year.

It doesn’t matter if you are private or public. All a basketball player has to do is pass first semester. The second semester he plays regardless. He doesn’t technically fail until May.

I would think that failing your spring would invalidate you for the next fall? Perhaps not - I just don't see how this is helpful to the kids.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 4th, 2023, 1:19 pm

When it came out, Illinois State promoted it as the first Collective in the MVC. ISU has a three person dept dedicated to it.

https://goredbirds.com/feature/vISUalize

Kendall Lewis has a merch line. Colton Sandage has done some promoted posts for a local realtor. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

https://twitter.com/EmpowertheNest
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 4th, 2023, 6:48 pm

sivert wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Drakey wrote:Then did he flunk out? Can that even happen anymore? you never hear of an academically ineligible player. most teams used to have one or two every year.

I would think that failing your spring would invalidate you for the next fall? Perhaps not - I just don't see how this is helpful to the kids.

Oh. I'm not saying it's helpful to anyone.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiBand » January 5th, 2023, 10:20 am

SIU has one that is specifically for football. I don't know if they have any involvement with any other sports of if there is a separate one for other sports.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Saluki44 » January 5th, 2023, 10:33 am

SalukiBand wrote:SIU has one that is specifically for football. I don't know if they have any involvement with any other sports of if there is a separate one for other sports.

Yeah, Southern hasn't promoted NIL as much as I'd like. Several of the basketball players have promoted deals with local businesses. I'm not sure if those were arranged through the same collective that exists for football. It's all sort of a mystery.
Saluki44
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball