170 - Murray St
195 - UNI
241 - Illinois St
272 - UIC
317 - Valparaiso
344 - Evansville

142 - Wichita
283 - Loyola

If only we could get Wichita St and Loyola back and punt UE & Valpo out!

Why the hell would be want Loyola back? This is who they are now.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: KenPom/NET MVC rankings as of 1/5/2023

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dean Wormer » January 15th, 2023, 10:53 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:76 - Bradley
86 - Drake
100 - SIU
106 - Indiana St
134 - Belmont
136 - Missouri St
170 - Murray St
195 - UNI
241 - Illinois St
272 - UIC
317 - Valparaiso
344 - Evansville

142 - Wichita
283 - Loyola

Say you have only followed MVC basketball for 5 years without saying it..what are you..10?

In the 50 years between 1968 and 2018, Loyola had exactly 1 NCAA appearance, 1985. They were putrid for nearly all of those years in between. Evansville beat them like a floor tom the entire time they both were in the MCC. Their 15 minutes are up. Wichita can sit and rot in whatever is left of the AAC for all I care.

All of the current teams improving is the answer, not taking in exes. Illinois State looks to have made a great hire in Pedon. Evansville gutted the AD and entire coaching staff. If UIC stays ahead of Loyola in the Kenpom every year, I am happy. Valpo is frankly the biggest concern. A veteran coach shouldn't be in the position they are. The facilities are the worst in the league, with no relief in sight. At least they got rid of that offensive Crusader mascot.

I think the bottom improves greatly. My concerns are with who can maintain or get back to the top. Is Jacobson going to make it a career at UNI, or take a P5 offer while his stock is still high? If Shertz has quick success at Indiana State, will they find the money to keep him? Is Ford the long term answer for Missouri State? Right now, only Drake and Bradley appear to be in a good position for an extended period of success. I would put UNI in that group if Jacobson is locked in.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby So iLL 24 » January 16th, 2023, 12:00 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:
86 - Drake
100 - SIU
106 - Indiana St
134 - Belmont
136 - Missouri St
170 - Murray St
195 - UNI
241 - Illinois St
272 - UIC
317 - Valparaiso
344 - Evansville

142 - Wichita
283 - Loyola

Say you have only followed MVC basketball for 5 years without saying it..what are you..10?

In the 50 years between 1968 and 2018, Loyola had exactly 1 NCAA appearance, 1985. They were putrid for nearly all of those years in between. Evansville beat them like a floor tom the entire time they both were in the MCC. Their 15 minutes are up. Wichita can sit and rot in whatever is left of the AAC for all I care.

All of the current teams improving is the answer, not taking in exes. Illinois State looks to have made a great hire in Pedon. Evansville gutted the AD and entire coaching staff. If UIC stays ahead of Loyola in the Kenpom every year, I am happy. Valpo is frankly the biggest concern. A veteran coach shouldn't be in the position they are. The facilities are the worst in the league, with no relief in sight. At least they got rid of that offensive Crusader mascot.

I think the bottom improves greatly. My concerns are with who can maintain or get back to the top. Is Jacobson going to make it a career at UNI, or take a P5 offer while his stock is still high? If Shertz has quick success at Indiana State, will they find the money to keep him? Is Ford the long term answer for Missouri State? Right now, only Drake and Bradley appear to be in a good position for an extended period of success. I would put UNI in that group if Jacobson is locked in.

Does 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 years ago really matter? Loyola, despite its troubled season right now, still has recognition, massive endowment, huge market, and many more things to like. Wichita was/is a perfect fit for this league for numerous reasons.

UE has been at the bottom of this league for too long, decreasing enrollment (less than 2000 students), decreasing endowment, financial issues, etc. etc. Valpo hasn’t done s*** since joining this conference. They cut their law program, have the worst gym in the league (promised to update it but still haven’t), have yet to fire their coach who hasn’t done a damn thing for that program.

If you’re really trying to say Valpo/UE are better programs than Loyola and Wichita, I take it you have never watched basketball over the last ten years and have no clue about the numerous other improvements they have compared to Valpo/UE.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 16th, 2023, 12:12 am

If you have a member who’s bottom of the league for several years yet is consistently an attendance leader, that’s a valuable member. Eventually they’ll hit the right coach.

Evansville has always been a community team for generations, so enrollment doesn’t really matter in their case. They had small enrollment in the days they drew top-30 attendance nationally too.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 16th, 2023, 8:34 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:If you have a member who’s bottom of the league for several years yet is consistently an attendance leader, that’s a valuable member. Eventually they’ll hit the right coach.

Evansville has always been a community team for generations, so enrollment doesn’t really matter in their case. They had small enrollment in the days they drew top-30 attendance nationally too.

I'm not against UE, but no a team that draws 5,000 but is consistently in the 250- 350 range isn't valuable. It hurts the league and the other teams. Those 5,000 have never traveled well, so all they do is give UE a nice home environment. Now hopefully their new coach and administration can right the ship at least enough to make UE a solid program most years. I like UE's tradition and they obviously have some fit with the other privates and location. But it's been a tough stretch for them.

It's hard to argue who does or doesn't fit in this league with the wide variance in members. I just tend to wonder why any University, would want to stay in a conference, level, whatever, if they're not being able to be competitive consistently. And I'm talking across the board in athletics , as there are athletic programs in this conference that seem to struggle to be competitive in most everything. I mean if your not challenging for a title in at least a couple of the major team sports consistently , that's gotta be depressing.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby third rail » January 22nd, 2023, 10:46 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:
86 - Drake
100 - SIU
106 - Indiana St
134 - Belmont
136 - Missouri St
170 - Murray St
195 - UNI
241 - Illinois St
272 - UIC
317 - Valparaiso
344 - Evansville

142 - Wichita
283 - Loyola

Forget Loyola. They will be bottom feeders until the NCAA dissolves. They are useless and it's great that the A10 took on their dead weight.

You should add Tulsa to that list, too. They check in at 239.
third rail
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby otterbelle » January 26th, 2023, 10:55 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:If you have a member who’s bottom of the league for several years yet is consistently an attendance leader, that’s a valuable member. Eventually they’ll hit the right coach.

Evansville didn't have 2 D1 programs when UE was drawing well. There are a lot more USI alums in Evansville than UE, and USI is a clear threat to pass UE as the community's team in the future if UE doesn't get it together.
otterbelle
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby E-Villan » January 26th, 2023, 9:17 pm

otterbelle wrote:

Evansville didn't have 2 D1 programs when UE was drawing well. There are a lot more USI alums in Evansville than UE, and USI is a clear threat to pass UE as the community's team in the future if UE doesn't get it together.

I take it you are speaking from an USI perspective. I would have to think the USI peak attendance period to date was during the Bruce Pearl era in the mid-90's. At the same time, UE was averaging over 10K. Things are different now, but there is certainly a precedent for both programs to be supported at the same time. In fact, I would argue that this year is a case in point. I would assume USI is in the upper half of the OVC, and despite the gigantic rebuild, UE still is selling tickets. Improved performance will only increase that number.

From a bragging point and some community perception, USI going D-1 may provide a stimulus for improvement at UE, but frankly, that had to happen regardless of what USI does. I am not surprised USI hit the ground running and truly hope it continues. I also hope there is a game every year with a charity being the big benefactor. I haven't been out to the new arena yet, but plan to this year at some point. I really don't see the either/or some are trying to paint.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball