MVC Games Week 10

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 10

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 14th, 2023, 9:50 pm

Drake protects the home court with a big win against Bradley tonight.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » January 15th, 2023, 10:16 am

Bulldog2323 wrote:Drake protects the home court with a big win against Bradley tonight.

The Bulldogs were impressive. Bradley, was not.

I think BCPanther is right. There aren't any good teams in the league. Three really bad ones - a couple just above that - and then about 7-8 who are all the same.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby JustPlainNormal » January 15th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Pedon will do a great job at Illinois State. The program reset starts with playing hard all the time. They will not always play well, but start with getting players who buy into playing hard no matter the score. Absolutely they are a little undermanned at two positions (point guard and post) but they have shown signs of being to play with anyone for stretches of time. Being able to make free throws keeps you in games and the rebounding has been better than recent seasons. They will be in the upper half of the conference in two years.
JustPlainNormal
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 15th, 2023, 4:05 pm

BCPanther wrote:
squirrel wrote:It gets a lot harder to catch the Trees if they hold serve at home against SIU and Bradley.

That said, I think they go 0-2 this week and we have just an absolute jumbled mess for the rest of the league schedule.

Good call on the Trees this week.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » January 15th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Holy walkin' chickens... a three way tie for first and five way tie for fourth with one game back. Any of these eight can win either of the championships! Hot dog.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Campbellproud » January 15th, 2023, 4:53 pm

racernation wrote:Holy walkin' chickens... a three way tie for first and five way tie for fourth with one game back. Any of these eight can win either of the championships! Hot dog.

Yep. Pretty obvious who the Thursday teams are. The title race is wide open. Going to be a fun six weeks.
Campbellproud
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby SalukiBand » January 15th, 2023, 5:07 pm

Campbellproud wrote:
racernation wrote:Holy walkin' chickens... a three way tie for first and five way tie for fourth with one game back. Any of these eight can win either of the championships! Hot dog.

Yep. Pretty obvious who the Thursday teams are. The title race is wide open. Going to be a fun six weeks.

Remember, the schedule for the Valley Tournament is different with 12 teams coming to St. Louis. The top 4 teams get a bye on Thursday and play the Thursday winners on Friday.

I got a chance to see ISUred play for the first time this year vs. the Salukis last night. I thought they had some decent pieces. The big kid (McChesney???) made some open looks from the 3 in the first half and the Redbirds were in the game at halftime. But SIU cranked up the defense in the second half. They sped him up and he couldn't get any open looks. On top of that, ISUred turned the ball over 15 times compared to only 4 by the Salukis.

One thing, though. Out of the 60 games left in the conference season, every one of them (with few exceptions) will be dogfights from start to finish.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » January 15th, 2023, 7:37 pm

The bottom three are so bad that I don't really think it's much of a disadvantage to be the 5, 6 or 7. You'll get an 'easy' game and knock the big building jitters out of the way on Thursday and then not play a team that's appreciably better than you are on Friday.

I think Illinois State has the ability to put a scare into whoever the 8 is.

Probably an off season discussion but there needs to be a real come to Jesus moment for this league over the summer. Everybody has underachieved to this point.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 15th, 2023, 8:39 pm

BCPanther wrote:The bottom three are so bad that I don't really think it's much of a disadvantage to be the 5, 6 or 7. You'll get an 'easy' game and knock the big building jitters out of the way on Thursday and then not play a team that's appreciably better than you are on Friday.

Probably an off season discussion but there needs to be a real come to Jesus moment for this league over the summer. Everybody has underachieved to this point.

Problem is coaches don’t like to hear it. They get their shackles up with any suggestions. They all secretly want every team but their own to suck.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 15th, 2023, 8:40 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:The bottom three are so bad that I don't really think it's much of a disadvantage to be the 5, 6 or 7. You'll get an 'easy' game and knock the big building jitters out of the way on Thursday and then not play a team that's appreciably better than you are on Friday.

Problem is coaches don’t like to hear it. They get their shackles up with any suggestions. They all secretly want every team but their own to suck.

Truer words...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball