2023 TOC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

2023 TOC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 13th, 2023, 7:12 am

The Bass Pro Tournament of Champions kicked off in Springfield yesterday. Considered one of the premier HS tournaments in the country annually , the tourney's format is a traditional 8 team tourney with all teams playing 3 games over 3 days . The tourney always includes a pair of local [Missouri/SW Missouri] teams and 6 of the best HS programs from across the country. The player list reads like a top 50 scouting report and in such, the tourney draws a ton of high profile coaches and scouts as well as a few celebs; last night Carmello Anthony was among those in the crowd , as his son plays for Christ the King out of NY.

This years teams are : Christ the King [NY], Bartlett [Tenn.], Sunrise Christian [ Kansas], St Rita [Chicago], Staley [Kansas City ], Calvary Christian [ Florida], Kickapoo [Springfield] and making it's first appearance Link Academy [Branson]. Link Academy is absolutely stacked with talent, and were National runner ups last year.

A benefit this year is the games can be watched via ESPN+. The 3 day event generally draws around 20,000+

Of note, I think only 1 player committed to a MVC team is playing this year, Cameron Manyawu of Staley who is going to Indiana St. He had 18 pts and 9 rbs in a losing effort.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

2023 TOC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2023 TOC

Postby Ali » January 14th, 2023, 9:55 am

At first, I thought this was a fishing competition.

On one hand it's cool to have high level HS hoops played in your backyard, but I hate the prevalence and growth of these "prep schools" whose only aim is to try and make money and gain exposure for the coaches and directors at the player's expense.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Re: 2023 TOC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 14th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Ali wrote:At first, I thought this was a fishing competition.

On one hand it's cool to have high level HS hoops played in your backyard, but I hate the prevalence and growth of these "prep schools" whose only aim is to try and make money and gain exposure for the coaches and directors at the player's expense.

Not any different than AAU; you have good prep schools and you have disreputable ones, just like AAU programs. But yeah, the TOC is one of the highlights of any basketball season for me; the number of big time college players and eventual pros that have played in the tourney is mind boggling when you read the history and look at the teams over the years.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball