MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Re: MVC Games Week 11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ValleyFAN » January 19th, 2023, 7:05 am

Countrypanther wrote:Bears look a lot better than old bulldogs. :D

Really impressive win for the Bears. Drake was up big at halftime and seemingly couldn't be stopped. The Bears looked outmatched in every way, both on the floor and on the bench. Second half totally different story. Good adjustments by Ford and staff. Bears went small which helped the offense, and the intensity on defense really ramped up. Every time Drake punched the Bears were able to punch back. Sets up a fun matchup with SIU on Saturday with important conference standing implications.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » January 19th, 2023, 7:26 am

Almost every game with Drake the last 2-3 years has been epic,a couple overtimes and mostly single possession games at the end. Say what you want but Dana is 4-1 in his last 5 vs Devries/Drake, and the only Valley team to win in Des Moines in the last 14 home games for Drake, is Missouri State , twice. Ford takes alot of heat, probably none more than from the hometown fans, and probably deservedly; but he consistently fields an interesting arrangement of talent, and has us in the hunt . This is a team with 14 new faces, lost it's pg early, then lost it's best shooter a couple weeks ago . I hear a number of other teams lament their injuries, but those two are as impactful as any in the league on one team, imo.

Anyway, gritty win for the Bears; weekend sure looks interesting with Belmont @ Bradley and SIU at Missouri State .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 19th, 2023, 8:33 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Almost every game with Drake the last 2-3 years has been epic,a couple overtimes and mostly single possession games at the end. Say what you want but Dana is 4-1 in his last 5 vs Devries/Drake, and the only Valley team to win in Des Moines in the last 14 home games for Drake, is Missouri State , twice. Ford takes alot of heat, probably none more than from the hometown fans, and probably deservedly; but he consistently fields an interesting arrangement of talent, and has us in the hunt . This is a team with 14 new faces, lost it's pg early, then lost it's best shooter a couple weeks ago . I hear a number of other teams lament their injuries, but those two are as impactful as any in the league on one team, imo.

Anyway, gritty win for the Bears; weekend sure looks interesting with Belmont @ Bradley and SIU at Missouri State .

I've given Dana crap in the past but he's done a really nice job this year. Seems like he picked up kids that wanted to play hard rather than kids that all the recruiting services loved and he's gotten them to buy in. There are still some WTF moments from the bench but, all in all, he's really shown growth.

A good Missouri State is good for the league.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » January 19th, 2023, 8:59 am

Saying this as someone who literally only watch the final possession of the MOST-Drake game and without a dog in the fight, Penn definitely got fouled as he was going up on the half court heave. Dana obviously instructed his team to foul, as they were up 3, but timing was really bad. I get why Devries was upset.

As others have said, Arch Madness is going to be fun. At least two Thursday teams are going to win on Friday.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 19th, 2023, 9:29 am

Adunk33 wrote:Saying this as someone who literally only watch the final possession of the MOST-Drake game and without a dog in the fight, Penn definitely got fouled as he was going up on the half court heave. Dana obviously instructed his team to foul, as they were up 3, but timing was really bad. I get why Devries was upset.

As others have said, Arch Madness is going to be fun. At least two Thursday teams are going to win on Friday.

Maybe, but there’s no room to blame refs. Drake screwed up their own chances. Even if the foul is called, no guarantee that all 3 free throws go in.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 19th, 2023, 9:46 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:Saying this as someone who literally only watch the final possession of the MOST-Drake game and without a dog in the fight, Penn definitely got fouled as he was going up on the half court heave. Dana obviously instructed his team to foul, as they were up 3, but timing was really bad. I get why Devries was upset.

Maybe, but there’s no room to blame refs. Drake screwed up their own chances. Even if the foul is called, no guarantee that all 3 free throws go in.

100% agree. I'm never a guy to blame the people in striped for the outcome of the game. At the end of the day, they don't impact your ability to put the put the ball in the hole or stopping the other team from doing the same.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Majik45 » January 19th, 2023, 11:24 am

Just curious if anyone from Indiana State that was at the game last night might have seen what happened here that caused the ref to go to the Bradley huddle and then give a T during a Timeout?

https://twitter.com/icetimecleve/status ... 3864105986
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 19th, 2023, 11:43 am

Devries gets upset if you breathe around his son. Might get a call like that at the end of a game if he and his son didn't whine to the refs constantly the whole game. Noticed it in Springfield earlier, every time you look up either Tucker or Coach Dad is in the officials ear.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » January 19th, 2023, 1:38 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Almost every game with Drake the last 2-3 years has been epic,a couple overtimes and mostly single possession games at the end. Say what you want but Dana is 4-1 in his last 5 vs Devries/Drake, and the only Valley team to win in Des Moines in the last 14 home games for Drake, is Missouri State , twice. Ford takes alot of heat, probably none more than from the hometown fans, and probably deservedly; but he consistently fields an interesting arrangement of talent, and has us in the hunt . This is a team with 14 new faces, lost it's pg early, then lost it's best shooter a couple weeks ago . I hear a number of other teams lament their injuries, but those two are as impactful as any in the league on one team, imo.

I know Lee had a season-ending injury early and also the big guy Carper has been out but what was the injury to the shooter you're referring to? I must have missed that.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball