MVC Games Week 11

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 11

Postby tribecalledquest » January 19th, 2023, 2:27 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Almost every game with Drake the last 2-3 years has been epic,a couple overtimes and mostly single possession games at the end. Say what you want but Dana is 4-1 in his last 5 vs Devries/Drake, and the only Valley team to win in Des Moines in the last 14 home games for Drake, is Missouri State , twice. Ford takes alot of heat, probably none more than from the hometown fans, and probably deservedly; but he consistently fields an interesting arrangement of talent, and has us in the hunt . This is a team with 14 new faces, lost it's pg early, then lost it's best shooter a couple weeks ago . I hear a number of other teams lament their injuries, but those two are as impactful as any in the league on one team, imo.

Anyway, gritty win for the Bears; weekend sure looks interesting with Belmont @ Bradley and SIU at Missouri State .

Man I give the Bears a ton of credit for that win - but good God what are the Bears trying to do on offense?

The last three possessions of regulation and the last one in OT were just so awful. Give it to one guy, have the shot clock run down and then shoot a bad shot or turn it over while everyone else stands there?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 19th, 2023, 2:33 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Almost every game with Drake the last 2-3 years has been epic,a couple overtimes and mostly single possession games at the end. Say what you want but Dana is 4-1 in his last 5 vs Devries/Drake, and the only Valley team to win in Des Moines in the last 14 home games for Drake, is Missouri State , twice. Ford takes alot of heat, probably none more than from the hometown fans, and probably deservedly; but he consistently fields an interesting arrangement of talent, and has us in the hunt . This is a team with 14 new faces, lost it's pg early, then lost it's best shooter a couple weeks ago . I hear a number of other teams lament their injuries, but those two are as impactful as any in the league on one team, imo.

Anyway, gritty win for the Bears; weekend sure looks interesting with Belmont @ Bradley and SIU at Missouri State .

Man I give the Bears a ton of credit for that win - but good God what are the Bears trying to do on offense?

The last three possessions of regulation and the last one in OT were just so awful. Give it to one guy, have the shot clock run down and then shoot a bad shot or turn it over while everyone else stands there?

Reminds me of the Barry Hinson strategy. Tie game, have a guard dribble around until a couple seconds left. Step back 3 from 25 feet. Miss. Every time.

I kind of understood it a bit when we had Anthony Beane. But when he was gone it was Mike Rodriguez doing it, who wasn’t even a good shooter. Pissed me off every time.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » January 19th, 2023, 3:30 pm

BCPanther wrote:

I've given Dana crap in the past but he's done a really nice job this year. Seems like he picked up kids that wanted to play hard rather than kids that all the recruiting services loved and he's gotten them to buy in. There are still some WTF moments from the bench but, all in all, he's really shown growth.

A good Missouri State is good for the league.

I really think Dana got a couple of natural scrappers and then assembled so much overall talent he could sit guys who were playing selfish until they decided they better get with the program and play with their hair on fire if the wanted back in.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » January 21st, 2023, 5:04 pm

Think Ben Sheppard is the frontrunner for POY right now
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball