Top 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Top 4

Postby Saluki 4 Life » January 19th, 2023, 8:11 am

The battle for a bye in STL is going to be razor thin... It's possible there are going to be multiple 13 win teams that end up play Thursday after tie breakers. 2 Questions.

1 - If you had to predict today who gets top 4, who are you taking?

2 - What are the new tie break procedures? I can't find them online, but I thought I heard they eliminated using NET ranking after head to head.

I Will go first, I think Bradley, SIU, Drake and Missouri State find a way to get byes... I say that with 0% confidence because Belmont and UNI have just as good a chance as anyone and Murray still has a chance as well.
Saluki 4 Life
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Top 4

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Top 4

Postby BCPanther » January 19th, 2023, 8:26 am

Bradley, SIU, UNI and Belmont.

No idea what order but I'll go with those four. Missouri State and Drake finding their way in wouldn't shock me. I think Indiana State is coming back down to earth. I don't think Murray gets there.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Saluki 4 Life » January 19th, 2023, 8:38 am

BCPanther wrote:Bradley, SIU, UNI and Belmont.

No idea what order but I'll go with those four. Missouri State and Drake finding their way in wouldn't shock me. I think Indiana State is coming back down to earth. I don't think Murray gets there.

I would say the team I am most confident in being top 4 is Bradley. I would say they are the only team I would be comfortable saying they are going to get a bye.
Saluki 4 Life
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ISUSOX13 » January 19th, 2023, 9:15 am

Great topic.

I think SIU and Bradley will be two of the four.

Leaning Missouri State as a third right now based on their last two performances. Give me the winner of the Belmont at UNI game on the final day of the season as the fourth.

I feel more confident saying Murray State and ISU-red will kick the tournament off in the 8-9 game.
ISUSOX13
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Adunk33 » January 19th, 2023, 9:26 am

Drake, Belmont, SIU, UNI in no particular order.

Coach Jake does it again. Lose your top big? No problem. Lose one of your top 2 players? Don't worry about it. Adjust and keep winning. Good for them.

Mo State would probably be my alt if I had to have one. They can win games based on talent alone.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 19th, 2023, 9:34 am

Bradley, SIU, and Belmont is my highest 3. With 4, I’ll go Indiana State. I can see why other people are picking UNI and Missouri State though. I give Missouri State the 4 if they beat SIU Saturday. I think UNI will eventually drop off a bit (yes I know coach Jake is there).
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » January 19th, 2023, 9:43 am

My guess (no particular order) would be Belmont, Bradley, Drake and SIU. I know Drake is somewhat on the ropes with four losses now but I still trust their combo of personnel and coaching to win some big games in February more than the alternatives. UNI has exceeded my expectations for them but I still think their youth will catch up with them a bit through the 20-game grind and Missouri State is capable but seldom consistent game to game, week to week. I do think Indiana State will get a second wind at some point and it wouldn't shock me if they claw back into the top four if some of the other contenders stumble.

As for the Salukis, I expect some nice home crowds down the stretch and I think they'll be tough to beat in Carbondale, but they still have to go to Springfield, Peoria and Des Moines among their road slate, so they'll have to earn their way into that top four and, hopefully, title contention.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Saluki 4 Life » January 19th, 2023, 10:22 am

siudawgs wrote:My guess (no particular order) would be Belmont, Bradley, Drake and SIU. I know Drake is somewhat on the ropes with four losses now but I still trust their combo of personnel and coaching to win some big games in February more than the alternatives. UNI has exceeded my expectations for them but I still think their youth will catch up with them a bit through the 20-game grind and Missouri State is capable but seldom consistent game to game, week to week. I do think Indiana State will get a second wind at some point and it wouldn't shock me if they claw back into the top four if some of the other contenders stumble.

As for the Salukis, I expect some nice home crowds down the stretch and I think they'll be tough to beat in Carbondale, but they still have to go to Springfield, Peoria and Des Moines among their road slate, so they'll have to earn their way into that top four and, hopefully, title contention.

I think getting to 14 wins will secure a bye, admittedly I know SIU's schedule better but if they can win their home games and find 2 wins on the road (MSU, ILL ST, Valpo, Bradley, Drake, UIC) that would get them there.

Holding serve at home will be difficult too.
Saluki 4 Life
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiBand » January 19th, 2023, 10:34 am

Saluki 4 Life wrote:I think getting to 14 wins will secure a bye, admittedly I know SIU's schedule better but if they can win their home games and find 2 wins on the road (MSU, ILL ST, Valpo, Bradley, Drake, UIC) that would get them there.

Holding serve at home will be difficult too.

14 will DEFINITELY get you a bye. You might have a 50/50 shot with 13 wins. I think most would look at that schedule and say that Valpo and UIC are the 2 most-probable road wins. You'd think ISUred is possible but not a given. The home games (Murray, MoState, Valpo, Bradley and UNI) has it's share of possible speed bumps in the way.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bradley_townie » January 19th, 2023, 11:31 am

SIU, Belmont, Drake and Bradley are my top 4.

I think Drake will find a way to claw up the standings. Too much talent on that team.

Indiana State is a good scoring team but had a tough time with Bradley's bigs. Mast, Ja'Shon and Leons were basically getting whatever they wanted down low. I think they'll fall out of the top 4.

SIU is playing to their potential. Cannot wait for their games against Bradley. Should be a real defensive grindhouse.

Belmont looked so talented on offense against Murray. They have 3 point shooters who can take over, their passing is crisp, and they are relentless with the backdoor cuts. Tough team to defend.

Despite being shaky at times on the road, Bradley leads the MVC in both offensive and defensive efficiency per KenPom. This is a very solid team, just have to find a way to keep gutting it out on the road. I think they will be right there competing toward the top.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball