Top 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Top 4

Postby BCPanther » February 16th, 2023, 3:41 pm

It's an exact copy of the Big 12 tiebreaker system which isn't surprising since Jeff Jackson ran Big 12 basketball for years.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 16th, 2023, 4:18 pm

Wasn’t the “who you beat, starting at the top and working your way down” our tiebreaker system until 2011 or so (when it was changed to RPI)?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » February 16th, 2023, 4:27 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Wasn’t the “who you beat, starting at the top and working your way down” our tiebreaker system until 2011 or so (when it was changed to RPI)?

Tie breaker went by total points, and points were awarded as follows:
20 points - beating 1st place on road
19 points - beating 1st place at home
18 points - beating 2nd place on road
17 points - beating 2nd place at home
and so on.

Add all of them up and you get a total score, so road wins, and beating people higher in the standings were worth more.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » February 17th, 2023, 5:18 am

As I try to read everyone's post on the tie breaker system as my beloved Aces sit
in last place :D .Why doesn't the league go to a 22 game league schedule, that way
everyone plays everyone twice and it's a lot less complicated. :Cheers:
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » February 17th, 2023, 8:42 am

municup14 wrote:As I try to read everyone's post on the tie breaker system as my beloved Aces sit
in last place :D .Why doesn't the league go to a 22 game league schedule, that way
everyone plays everyone twice and it's a lot less complicated. :Cheers:

Because we'd like to at least have a shot at at large bids.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » February 17th, 2023, 10:29 am

I dont understand how playing 2 more conference limits the chances of getting a at large bid.The majority of the non conference schedule is weaker teams than a conference team.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 17th, 2023, 10:41 am

municup14 wrote:I dont understand how playing 2 more conference limits the chances of getting a at large bid.The majority of the non conference schedule is weaker teams than a conference team.

I think the argument would be that adding conference games doesn't add wins, it just adds losses for the top finishers. It's a small sample size, but this year shows that the amount of wins it takes to win the conference didn't go up by adding two games. So basically we're just adding two losses to every teams record.

If you want a better sample size, look at the Big Ten. They went to 20 games and everyone's conference record gravitated closer to .500 ever since. All evidence points towards more conference games = more losses for the top teams. The Valley simply doesn't have the luxury that the Big Ten does a far as perception of a conference grind.

I'd vote for a return to 18 (or even 16!) before I'd vote for 22.
Last edited by ColonialBulldog on February 17th, 2023, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby So iLL 24 » February 17th, 2023, 10:42 am

municup14 wrote:I dont understand how playing 2 more conference limits the chances of getting a at large bid.The majority of the non conference schedule is weaker teams than a conference team.

UE is only better than like 15 teams in all of NCAA. Can all of the other schools drop UE from the schedule?
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » February 17th, 2023, 10:47 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:

I think the argument would be that adding conference games doesn't add wins, it just adds losses for the top finishers. It's a small sample size, but this year shows that the amount of wins it takes to win the conference didn't go up by adding two games. So basically we're just adding two losses to every teams record.

If you want a better sample size, look at the Big Ten. They went to 20 games and everyone's conference record gravitated closer to .500 ever since. All evidence points towards more conference games = more losses for the top teams. The Valley simply doesn't have the luxury that the Big Ten does a far as perception of a conference grind.

I'd vote for a return to 18 (or even 16!) before I'd vote for 22.

Exactly correct. All you're doing with 22 is guaranteeing yourself 12 more losses and more exposure to bad metrics teams for your top teams (i.e. Bradley and Drake not having to play extras against the bottom this year). This schedule is set up the way it is for a reason.

I'd go back to 18 in a heartbeat.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 17th, 2023, 12:21 pm

And the crappy non conference games still would remain.

Use Bradley for example - if the league went to 22 conference games the Akron and Utah State games would be on the chopping block, not the home games v. Stonehill and Merrimack.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball