MVC Games Week 12

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 12

Postby Adunk33 » January 31st, 2023, 10:33 am

SalukiWorld wrote:The MVC needs to avoid conflicts with the NFL Playoffs. Guessing it was because of TV.

Surprisingly, I thought it was solid (relatively speaking) attendance outside of the students. I'm thinking that was in large part due to the kid's halftime cheer clinic. Had the students shown up, it would've been over 5k. Again, not that they would've been engaged with the game, but they'd be butts in seats.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 31st, 2023, 2:54 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I'm also going to continue to push Jonathon Mogbo as the DPOY. He won't get it as a newcomer, but be continues to be impactful every game on the defensive end and is scoring decently . He can and does guard 1-5 , rebounds, blocks shots and is among league leaders in steals. Had 16 rbs vs Murray.

I love Mogbo. I think he's the most underrated player in the conference right now. I still have Malevy as DPOY right now, but Mogbo would be my second. He gets steals, blocks and his defensive metrics are as good as anyone's. He needs to be talked about more.

But I'm sure someone like DJ Wilkins will make the all defensive team again over him.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 31st, 2023, 3:18 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I'm also going to continue to push Jonathon Mogbo as the DPOY. He won't get it as a newcomer, but be continues to be impactful every game on the defensive end and is scoring decently . He can and does guard 1-5 , rebounds, blocks shots and is among league leaders in steals. Had 16 rbs vs Murray.

I love Mogbo. I think he's the most underrated player in the conference right now. I still have Malevy as DPOY right now, but Mogbo would be my second. He gets steals, blocks and his defensive metrics are as good as anyone's. He needs to be talked about more.

But I'm sure someone like DJ Wilkins will make the all defensive team again over him.

And I get that about Wilkins or any of the veteran players who've worked 3-4 years [6-8 for Wilkins, lol] to earn their rep. That's why I said I doubt Mogbo will get much play for DPOY , but he definitely belongs on the all defensive team. I haven't seen another player who makes as many defensive plays in a game this year as Jonathan, or someone who can guard 1-5 as effectively, although Malevey fits a similar profile. And Mogbo who came via juco, effectively is just a soph because he gets 2 more years after this . Of course it's always hard to make projections these days with the TP ever hovering. But boy he's fun to watch around the goal.

He had some Alize Johnson qualities when we were recruiting him with his agility and ability to run the floor, and his out of space rebounding. He's not as adept a facilitator as Alize or an effective perimeter shooter, but he can run the floor with any big , and is much more a defensive presence than Alize was . He's really coming on . A bit foul and turnover prone yet, but Big Bo is a force.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 31st, 2023, 3:54 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

And I get that about Wilkins or any of the veteran players who've worked 3-4 years [6-8 for Wilkins, lol] to earn their rep. That's why I said I doubt Mogbo will get much play for DPOY , but he definitely belongs on the all defensive team. I haven't seen another player who makes as many defensive plays in a game this year as Jonathan, or someone who can guard 1-5 as effectively, although Malevey fits a similar profile. And Mogbo who came via juco, effectively is just a soph because he gets 2 more years after this . Of course it's always hard to make projections these days with the TP ever hovering. But boy he's fun to watch around the goal.

He had some Alize Johnson qualities when we were recruiting him with his agility and ability to run the floor, and his out of space rebounding. He's not as adept a facilitator as Alize or an effective perimeter shooter, but he can run the floor with any big , and is much more a defensive presence than Alize was . He's really coming on . A bit foul and turnover prone yet, but Big Bo is a force.

One of my friends has taken to calling him Mogzilla and I absolutely hate it lol.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 31st, 2023, 4:06 pm

Hopefully you come to hate it even more the next 2 years, :D
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball