MVC Games Week 12

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 12

Postby Saluki 4 Life » January 30th, 2023, 10:14 am

BCPanther wrote:
Saluki 4 Life wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Talk about a crazy weekend to tighten everything back up in the Valley. Look at these standings:
9-3 - Belmont, SIU
8-4 - Bradley, Drake, UNI
7-5 - Ind. St, Murray, MSU
4-8 - Valpo, Ill St.
1-11 - UIC
0-12 - Evansville

And look at these games on Wednesday, both leaders have to go on the road against tough opponents:
SIU @ Bradley
Belmont @ Murray
UIC @ Ill St.
Valpo @ MSU
Ind St. @ Evansville
UNI @ Drake

Very likely scenario where we'll have a 4 way tie for 1st based and 4 more will be one game back. What a crazy year.
Some team is going to get a bye to Friday with 13 wins while another team with 13 wins will be playing a dangerous ILL ST team. I don't think seeding even matters at this point, everyone will just hope to get match ups they like.

I have zero desire to play Illinois State a 3rd time. They play so hard and if he can get some better talent to buy in to playing that hard, they're going to get good quick.
Agreed, I think anyone who gets the 5 and 6 will feel fine going into Thursday... I would not be pumped to be the 7 and 8 seed on Thursday playing Valpo or ILL ST. The most likely teams to face that scenario are the ones low on the tiebreak poll. Probably Murray, UNI because of NET, Missouri State... It is going to be razon think. Part of me wonders if the 5 or 6 might not have some benefits over the 4 and 3..
Saluki 4 Life
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » January 30th, 2023, 10:15 am

BCPanther wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Obviously you don't watch your own team much; so sad when you have to be a butt sore loser . Your coach and star whiney baby are in the officials and our players ears all night whining and crying. Also please go back to Reed Timmers antic's at MSU after a Drake win a few years ago.

When you spend your time with Dana and Mac that's going to happen.

Tucker is as bad as I've seen with going to officials at EVERY. SINGLE. WHISTLE.

I'm so confused. What and who is this about?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 30th, 2023, 10:21 am

Not sure how the race will end up and therefore it's impact on the POY voting, but having seen all the teams play a few times, I think the most talented player in the league is Belmont's Ben Sheppard, and he's probably as good a pro prospect as we have as well. His ability to put the ball on the floor and hit mid range shots along with being a legitimate 6'6 guard who can defend , handle, and create separate him from Devries and Domask imo. He's a stud .

I'm also going to continue to push Jonathon Mogbo as the DPOY. He won't get it as a newcomer, but be continues to be impactful every game on the defensive end and is scoring decently . He can and does guard 1-5 , rebounds, blocks shots and is among league leaders in steals. Had 16 rbs vs Murray.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 30th, 2023, 10:47 am

Drakey wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Obviously you don't watch your own team much; so sad when you have to be a butt sore loser . Your coach and star whiney baby are in the officials and our players ears all night whining and crying. Also please go back to Reed Timmers antic's at MSU after a Drake win a few years ago.

When you spend your time with Dana and Mac that's going to happen.

Tucker is as bad as I've seen with going to officials at EVERY. SINGLE. WHISTLE.

I'm so confused. What and who is this about?

I didn't get the "Mac", not sure who he was referencing. But the other part is about a Drake fan who at least twice now has complained about the Bears taunting the Drake crowd after the Bears beat Drake in Des Moines. I'll be the first to say Dalen Ridgnal likes to stir the opponent crowd. He'll shoosh them after a 3 among other things, hold his hand to his ear , things like that, and was demonstrative after the win. He's a good kid,plays hard and let's it fly as to how he goes about things . I think Drake even filed a complaint to the league after the game, which was petty given how benign the situation was. While he never said so publicly , I believe Dana actually disciplined Dalen and another player following,as he mentioned they had their minutes reduced per. "coach's decision"; there were no technicals, league warnings etc. Did Dalen do it, yeah, he has a number of times this year. Would most MSU fans rather he wouldn't, yeah.

I simply pointed out that the Drake fan might want to refer back to how Drake and Reed Timmer acted in Springfield after a Drake win a few years back and how whiney his coach and star player are every game before he starts with too much " better than though" bs. I guess BC Panther has witnessed the constant double Devries official whining as well .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 30th, 2023, 11:02 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I didn't get the "Mac", not sure who he was referencing. But the other part is about a Drake fan who at least twice now has complained about the Bears taunting the Drake crowd after the Bears beat Drake in Des Moines. I'll be the first to say Dalen Ridgnal likes to stir the opponent crowd. He'll shoosh them after a 3 among other things, hold his hand to his ear , things like that, and was demonstrative after the win. He's a good kid,plays hard and let's it fly as to how he goes about things . I think Drake even filed a complaint to the league after the game, which was petty given how benign the situation was. While he never said so publicly , I believe Dana actually disciplined Dalen and another player following,as he mentioned they had their minutes reduced per. "coach's decision"; there were no technicals, league warnings etc. Did Dalen do it, yeah, he has a number of times this year. Would most MSU fans rather he wouldn't, yeah.

I simply pointed out that the Drake fan might want to refer back to how Drake and Reed Timmer acted in Springfield after a Drake win a few years back and how whiney his coach and star player are every game before he starts with too much " better than though" bs. I guess BC Panther has witnessed the constant double Devries official whining as well .

That reference was to Dana Altman and Greg McDermott. Two unbelievable whiners that also happen to be Darian's mentors.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » January 30th, 2023, 11:24 am

BCPanther wrote:
Saluki 4 Life wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Talk about a crazy weekend to tighten everything back up in the Valley. Look at these standings:
9-3 - Belmont, SIU
8-4 - Bradley, Drake, UNI
7-5 - Ind. St, Murray, MSU
4-8 - Valpo, Ill St.
1-11 - UIC
0-12 - Evansville

And look at these games on Wednesday, both leaders have to go on the road against tough opponents:
SIU @ Bradley
Belmont @ Murray
UIC @ Ill St.
Valpo @ MSU
Ind St. @ Evansville
UNI @ Drake

Very likely scenario where we'll have a 4 way tie for 1st based and 4 more will be one game back. What a crazy year.
Some team is going to get a bye to Friday with 13 wins while another team with 13 wins will be playing a dangerous ILL ST team. I don't think seeding even matters at this point, everyone will just hope to get match ups they like.

I have zero desire to play Illinois State a 3rd time. They play so hard and if he can get some better talent to buy in to playing that hard, they're going to get good quick.

This is good to hear. I've been saying all year this team has fight and are bought in. They play harder than any Redbird team in recent memory and the "want" is there. You never know if that's going to lead to wins or not but they have been "in" all but two of their MVC games. 5 of 8 conference losses have been within 6pts. They'll battle. If Pedon is doing what he has with this personnel, I can't wait until he gets some more of "his guys" on the roster.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 30th, 2023, 11:26 am

Also, shout out to the SIU fans/Dawg pound that made the trip to Normal. For whatever reason, other than the Return to Horton game against SIUE, our fans bring no energy until crunch time-which was really more of the same last night. Even when we got up double digits in the second half, you'd think we were at a library. In fairness to them, they haven't had much to cheer for the last 5 years, but man, sometimes the fans are the ones that need to bring it.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » January 30th, 2023, 11:59 am

Adunk33 wrote:Also, shout out to the SIU fans/Dawg pound that made the trip to Normal. For whatever reason, other than the Return to Horton game against SIUE, our fans bring no energy until crunch time-which was really more of the same last night. Even when we got up double digits in the second half, you'd think we were at a library. In fairness to them, they haven't had much to cheer for the last 5 years, but man, sometimes the fans are the ones that need to bring it.

Not a good student turnout either. Hope that turns around a week from Wednesday.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 30th, 2023, 12:05 pm

hot nuts wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:Also, shout out to the SIU fans/Dawg pound that made the trip to Normal. For whatever reason, other than the Return to Horton game against SIUE, our fans bring no energy until crunch time-which was really more of the same last night. Even when we got up double digits in the second half, you'd think we were at a library. In fairness to them, they haven't had much to cheer for the last 5 years, but man, sometimes the fans are the ones that need to bring it.

Not a good student turnout either. Hope that turns around a week from Wednesday.

That was a terrible student turnout-maybe the worst of the year. We've had some solid student numbers this year but their level of engagement/interaction with the game I'd put around 5%. With the exception of a handful, they sit and clap as if they are watching play. I don't get it. Energy starts with the students and is often infectious to the rest of the Arena. Hopefully, they do come out for the BU game otherwise that confetti is going to look really strange on empty chairs...
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » January 30th, 2023, 1:09 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
hot nuts wrote:

That was a terrible student turnout-maybe the worst of the year. We've had some solid student numbers this year but their level of engagement/interaction with the game I'd put around 5%. With the exception of a handful, they sit and clap as if they are watching play. I don't get it. Energy starts with the students and is often infectious to the rest of the Arena. Hopefully, they do come out for the BU game otherwise that confetti is going to look really strange on empty chairs...

The MVC needs to avoid conflicts with the NFL Playoffs. Guessing it was because of TV.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball