TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Ballys filing for backruptcy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ballys filing for backruptcy

Postby BCPanther » January 27th, 2023, 8:34 am

Best news ever for MLB, NBA NHL as they'll be able to buy their rights back at a discount and start their own nationwide streaming service that they've had their eye on.

As for us, those networks will still exist in some form. Distribution without pro sports rights might get weird but we've still got NBC Sports Chicago not that that helps people outside the White Sox market territory.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiBand » January 27th, 2023, 9:21 am

I think that the best news about this is that it might force the leagues into rethinking the whole local blackout restrictions. I know that there are folks in Iowa that can't see at least a half a dozen MLB teams because of it.
I was on DirecTVstream so I could watch the Cardinals and Blues. When the latest price increase took the minimum package that has Bally's went over $100/month, that was as bad as having cable. So now, I am only paying $65/month to YouTube TV but I don't get access to the Blues and/or Cardinals. Yes, the have the direct-to-consumer package (Bally Sports Plus) for $20/month but they don't have the streaming rights yet for most of the MLB teams, including the Cardinals.
On the Valley side of things, I guess I will probably have to "sail the high seas" if I want to watch the first 2 days of the Valley Tournament.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Adunk33 » January 27th, 2023, 10:03 am

SalukiBand wrote:I think that the best news about this is that it might force the leagues into rethinking the whole local blackout restrictions. I know that there are folks in Iowa that can't see at least a half a dozen MLB teams because of it.
I was on DirecTVstream so I could watch the Cardinals and Blues. When the latest price increase took the minimum package that has Bally's went over $100/month, that was as bad as having cable. So now, I am only paying $65/month to YouTube TV but I don't get access to the Blues and/or Cardinals. Yes, the have the direct-to-consumer package (Bally Sports Plus) for $20/month but they don't have the streaming rights yet for most of the MLB teams, including the Cardinals.
On the Valley side of things, I guess I will probably have to "sail the high seas" if I want to watch the first 2 days of the Valley Tournament.

You can't get the Cardinal games on Bally Sports+????? That is crazy. I have to think that might be the only reason some (like me) would consider that platform. I'm not a big hockey guy but it seems like a ton of the games have been on ESPN+ lately.

Mo said after the Cardinals' season, he expected payroll to go up...Well...it really didn't so maybe he should repurpose some of that money towards a Cardinals Network, like the Cubs have Marquee and Yankees have YES.

As far as the MVC goes, luckily, most games are on ESPN+/3 and there is only a game or two per week on Bally.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiBand » January 27th, 2023, 11:23 am

Adunk33 wrote:
You can't get the Cardinal games on Bally Sports+????? That is crazy. I have to think that might be the only reason some (like me) would consider that platform. I'm not a big hockey guy but it seems like a ton of the games have been on ESPN+ lately.

Yep. There are around 15 or so MLB teams that Bally Sports Plus doesn't have the rights to carry. At least the Cardinals do seem have a "plan B" in place for this happening. But, add to that, the Cardinals are 30 percent owners of Bally Sports Midwest.

All NHL games are on ESPN+ (minus the TNT/TBS games). But the NHL has the same scenario (like MLB) of blacking out games in the local markets because of Bally's.

Mo said after the Cardinals' season, he expected payroll to go up...Well...it really didn't so maybe he should repurpose some of that money towards a Cardinals Network, like the Cubs have Marquee and Yankees have YES.

As far as the MVC goes, luckily, most games are on ESPN+/3 and there is only a game or two per week on Bally.

Yeah, I'm not worried about regular season games, unless the Salukis are involved. I'd just like to be able to watch those first 2 days of the tournament before CBS takes over.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 27th, 2023, 2:19 pm

The MVC contract only runs through next season. While Doug Elgin deserves credit for convincing Fox Sports Midwest to get onboard and starting what became a revolution in TV contracts, those days are now over. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we end the "MVC TV" or whatever you want to call it contract entirely and stick exclusively to the ESPNs and CBS/CBSSN.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » January 27th, 2023, 2:55 pm

Bulldog2323 wrote:The MVC contract only runs through next season. While Doug Elgin deserves credit for convincing Fox Sports Midwest to get onboard and starting what became a revolution in TV contracts, those days are now over. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we end the "MVC TV" or whatever you want to call it contract entirely and stick exclusively to the ESPNs and CBS/CBSSN.

I think you're correct.

The next TV contract is going to be interesting. I'd guess that the 11 we get from ESPN2/U are going to stay as they are and CBS is going to continue to sublicense the title game from ESPN.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the CBS Sports Net package go from 8 to 12 and keep the semifinals. Maybe shop a package to FOX for 8ish regular season games and the first 2 days in St Louis to FS2 though no one exactly seems to know how much Big 12 basketball inventory FOX is getting and if their Big Ten package is expanding.

If I'm the Big East I'm awfully worried about my next deal. FOX has taken on a bunch of inventory and I can't imagine ESPN offering the same money this FOX contract gave them since they now have all of the SEC and ACC, a Big 12 package and, most likely, a PAC10(12)(14) package coming and that's before we talk about the NBA and NHL.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 27th, 2023, 3:38 pm

In all likelihood, Thu/Fri of Arch Madness is likely an either/or between RSNs or ESPN+ moving forward. I’d much, much rather stick with Bally Sports.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bulldog2323 » January 30th, 2023, 9:45 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Bulldog2323 wrote:The MVC contract only runs through next season. While Doug Elgin deserves credit for convincing Fox Sports Midwest to get onboard and starting what became a revolution in TV contracts, those days are now over. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we end the "MVC TV" or whatever you want to call it contract entirely and stick exclusively to the ESPNs and CBS/CBSSN.

I think you're correct.

The next TV contract is going to be interesting. I'd guess that the 11 we get from ESPN2/U are going to stay as they are and CBS is going to continue to sublicense the title game from ESPN.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the CBS Sports Net package go from 8 to 12 and keep the semifinals. Maybe shop a package to FOX for 8ish regular season games and the first 2 days in St Louis to FS2 though no one exactly seems to know how much Big 12 basketball inventory FOX is getting and if their Big Ten package is expanding.

If I'm the Big East I'm awfully worried about my next deal. FOX has taken on a bunch of inventory and I can't imagine ESPN offering the same money this FOX contract gave them since they now have all of the SEC and ACC, a Big 12 package and, most likely, a PAC10(12)(14) package coming and that's before we talk about the NBA and NHL.

I highly doubt FOX will have room in their schedule for us even if they wanted anything. FOX is looking to get in on expanded College Football Playoff and maybe enter into a rotation with ESPN on top of their basketball commitments. In February and March FOX has to balance NASCAR in with college hoops as well. I just don't see the room.

I agree the first two rounds of Arch Madness will be on Bally Sports at best, ESPN+ most likely. That's pretty typical, Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC, and SEC are all on their networks. Big 12 & Big East only ones lucky to get first rounds on an ESPN TV channel/FS1.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiBand » February 2nd, 2023, 11:01 am

I have my doubts that Bally Sports will even be a viable option when this contract ends.
SalukiBand
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball