MVC Games Week 13

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 13

Postby ValleyFAN » February 2nd, 2023, 11:20 am

Majik45 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:I didn't hear the post-game show, but apparently DeVries said he does not believe in fouling late when up 3 points :huh:

That is really, really dumb. And not supported by any actual logic or information.

I'm not a big fan of the fouling when up 3, but I've changed my mind when you are under about 5-6 seconds. There was no excuse not to foul at the end of regulation with 3.8 seconds left going the length of the court.

Interesting situation came up along those lines in the MSU/Valpo game. It was tied, Valpo ball with around 15 seconds remaining. The Bears had only committed 2 team fouls for the half, so a bunch of fouls to give. They did foul intentionally with around 4 seconds left, but opted to play the rest straight up. Krikke had the ball in a good spot, dribbled it a couple times, Mogbo was able to contest and block the shot without fouling while those of us in the crowd held our breath. Several of us in the crow couldnt believe there wasnt a foul on purpose by the Bears but it all worked out for them.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 2nd, 2023, 11:22 am

UNI-Bradley game on Saturday Night shifted to ESPNEWS from ESPN2 for LeBron... :roll: :roll:
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 2nd, 2023, 2:00 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:The Bears held off Valpo last night without Donovan Clay.

I read this and thought "well ya, he transfered two years ago".
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 2nd, 2023, 2:03 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNI-Bradley game on Saturday Night shifted to ESPNEWS from ESPN2 for LeBron... :roll: :roll:

I'm sure there are some stipulations somewhere, but this just feels like an obvious breach of contract. The media rights probably guarantee a certain number of nationally televised games on ESPN networks. It's a bs move.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Adunk33 » February 2nd, 2023, 3:02 pm

Majik45 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:I didn't hear the post-game show, but apparently DeVries said he does not believe in fouling late when up 3 points :huh:

That is really, really dumb. And not supported by any actual logic or information.

I'm not a big fan of the fouling when up 3, but I've changed my mind when you are under about 5-6 seconds. There was no excuse not to foul at the end of regulation with 3.8 seconds left going the length of the court.

I let the amount of time indicate whether or not it's smart to foul or not. Generally, I say DO foul! But, to your point...that little time and they have to go the length of the court, let them dribble once or twice and the foul. At that point, you'd be looking at right around a second. They would then have to make the first FT and then miss the second to get a tip in. Drake is bigger than UNI, right? In that situation, if I'm Drake, I tell my guys, don't even really worry about securing the rebound, just get a hand all the ball and tip it straight up, as high as you can, clock starts as soon as it's touched and game over. Or you know, secure the board if you can 8-)

95% of the time, it makes sense to foul up 3.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » February 2nd, 2023, 5:06 pm

smidge34 wrote:Image

Why does Matt Lottich still have a job?

He was gifted the best team in the Horizon League in his first season (16-17), got upset in the conference tournament by the No. 10 seed, then get destroyed by Illinois State in the NIT. They still had a good year, so I won't hold the end of it against him.

Since then, they joined the MVC and made it to .500 in league play one time, the only time he's led a winning season during that stretch. That one season is when they made a miracle run at Arch Madness.

Adding Valpo is looking more and more like a complete whiff.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 4th, 2023, 10:35 pm

Good road win for Bradley today. The Braves shot the heck out of the ball - better than usual but that happens sometimes. I thought UNI - Bowen Born especially - looked a bit tired. Bradley did a great job on him but he didn't seem to have the same life as usual.

I am probably a bit biased but I think Bradley has the best roster in the league top-to-bottom. But it's close - obviously. When Bradley's guards make shots like they did today they are really, really tough.

UNI is going to be really good assuming the health and improvement are there. A lot of talent on that roster.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 5th, 2023, 7:55 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Good road win for Bradley today. The Braves shot the heck out of the ball - better than usual but that happens sometimes. I thought UNI - Bowen Born especially - looked a bit tired. Bradley did a great job on him but he didn't seem to have the same life as usual.

I am probably a bit biased but I think Bradley has the best roster in the league top-to-bottom. But it's close - obviously. When Bradley's guards make shots like they did today they are really, really tough.

UNI is going to be really good assuming the health and improvement are there. A lot of talent on that roster.

He re-aggravated the calf injury on Wednesday night and was dragging that leg around most of the night. I almost wonder if we sit him on Wednesday night to give him 5 or 6 days.

Bradley was incredibly impressive last night. Everytime we'd make a run, they'd step up and make the right play. Patient, composed and decisive. Just a bunch of skilled older guys and I agree that it's the best roster especially when Hickman is right.

I love this crazy, stupid, unpredictable, bananas league.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball