Best suited team for NCAA tournament?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best suited team for NCAA tournament?

Postby BCPanther » February 10th, 2023, 8:38 am

municup14 wrote:So if Drake loses only 1 more conference game,makes it to the finals of Arch Madness
do they make the Tournament as a at large.Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

You see, the patch on the front of the jersey says 'The Valley' so no, there's no chance.

We need 17-14 Big Ten teams in that have 3 Quad 1 wins in 15 opportunities. Losses only matter if you have the audacity to not be in a Power league.

The NET is awesome. Run up the score in the 8 home games you buy, lose 2 other OOC games to teams that have done the exact same thing, go 9-11 in 20 other games against teams that have done the exact same thing and get in the tournament at 17-14. BUT then if a team outside the power leagues does the exact same thing you tell them that they didn't play a tough enough OOC schedule. It's an awesome system that's totally fair and not completely built on the day to day whims of CBS/Turner.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » February 10th, 2023, 11:00 am

BCPanther wrote:
municup14 wrote:So if Drake loses only 1 more conference game,makes it to the finals of Arch Madness
do they make the Tournament as a at large.Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

You see, the patch on the front of the jersey says 'The Valley' so no, there's no chance.

We need 17-14 Big Ten teams in that have 3 Quad 1 wins in 15 opportunities. Losses only matter if you have the audacity to not be in a Power league.

The NET is awesome. Run up the score in the 8 home games you buy, lose 2 other OOC games to teams that have done the exact same thing, go 9-11 in 20 other games against teams that have done the exact same thing and get in the tournament at 17-14. BUT then if a team outside the power leagues does the exact same thing you tell them that they didn't play a tough enough OOC schedule. It's an awesome system that's totally fair and not completely built on the day to day whims of CBS/Turner.

Honestly - neither Drake or Bradley are good enough to be at large teams this season.

Sometimes we overplay the "poor mid major card". The talent level isn't there this season.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 10th, 2023, 11:21 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Honestly - neither Drake or Bradley are good enough to be at large teams this season.

Sometimes we overplay the "poor mid major card". The talent level isn't there this season.

Oh, I don't disagree at all with this year but the system is still an absolute disaster for anyone at our level.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 10th, 2023, 3:22 pm

BCPanther wrote:Oh, I don't disagree at all with this year but the system is still an absolute disaster for anyone at our level.

It's why I think winning the league regular season is big. The NIT is a legit, good tournament now. I think it should be seen as a pretty big accomplishment. Getting hot over three days in STL is great - but if you stub your toe at least you get an NIT invite if you win the league.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » February 10th, 2023, 9:50 pm

This is statistically the worst Valley season since 2019 right now (by KenPom), which was the worst one since at least Creighton was here and probably way past that. I knew it would be a bit of a reloading year for most of the league, especially with how hard most of the teams got hit by the portal. I think good days are ahead for the conference and this is just a blip. But no, the Valley will not have an at-large this year.

Drake and Bradley are carrying the conference right now from a KenPom/NET metric side of things. SIU is obviously right there for the Valley championship but I think they've been a pretty big disappointment to me. The wins are there (which is really the most important thing) but I've lost a bit of faith going forward if this is the best they can be with a senior-led team. 20 turnovers and nearly losing to UIC was absolutely gross and they've played down to their competition all year. Things have to be cleaned up going forward. SIU currently has the same KenPom ranking (125) that they ended last year with, that kind of tells the story there.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Countrypanther » February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm

Drake blew their chance at an at large by losing to the Bears twice, Trees once and SIU. Also the loss to Richmond by 30ish isn't a good look.
Countrypanther
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 10th, 2023, 10:54 pm

Countrypanther wrote:Drake blew their chance at an at large by losing to the Bears twice, Trees once and SIU. Also the loss to Richmond by 30ish isn't a good look.

Richmond is the big one. Those big losses hurt your NET badly. I know it’s capped at 10, but has a major effect on your defense and offense efficiencies.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ColonialBulldog » February 10th, 2023, 10:57 pm

Countrypanther wrote:Drake blew their chance at an at large by losing to the Bears twice, Trees once and SIU. Also the loss to Richmond by 30ish isn't a good look.

You're correct. Drake needed to keep the loss column under 5 to get an at large. I just think the standard has gotten out of hand. What's worse is that I think valley fans are starting to buy in to an inferiority complex.

Go watch Iowa, a team with losses to EIU and Nebraska (which would be unforgivable losses for Drake). The hawkeyes just don't pass the eye test. They're 15-9 and projected as a 7 seed. The scales are tipped.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Countrypanther » February 12th, 2023, 11:32 am

P5 schools have ruined college bowl games and are well on their way to ruining the Big Dance. Rarely will P5 play mid major away games, only opportunity is in the NCAA tourney. David vs Goliath is exciting to most fans.
Countrypanther
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » February 12th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Countrypanther wrote:P5 schools have ruined college bowl games and are well on their way to ruining the Big Dance. Rarely will P5 play mid major away games, only opportunity is in the NCAA tourney. David vs Goliath is exciting to most fans.

P5 schools make all the money and fund everything else. That’s the cold, hard, truth.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball