Best suited team for NCAA tournament?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby jsaluki080 » February 3rd, 2023, 11:15 am

Since we're a 1-bid league this year, is there a team that would be best suited to advance the furthest in the NCAA tournament?You know, most of the MVC seems to be more or less on par with each other but, is there a team that matches up better with other conference opponents?
I know, maybe a dumb question but I'm really wanting to see an MVC team win a few games at the big dance and if my salukis get knocked out early at Arch Madness then who do I cheer for?
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best suited team for NCAA tournament?

Postby Saluki 4 Life » February 3rd, 2023, 11:26 am

Gotta be Drake or Bradley. Belmont has a star, always gives them a chance.
Saluki 4 Life
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bradley_townie » February 3rd, 2023, 11:42 am

Bradley's biggest weakness is their backcourt. The recipe for mid-major success in the tournament is teams with shooters since you are usually overmatched in athleticism in the post, so I would go with Belmont or Drake. Belmont with Sheppard, Friberg and Tyson would not be a fun matchup if they are hot.

Ja'Shon can have his way in the paint against most MVC bigs but will struggle against P5 teams because he is a bit undersized for his position. Hannah is athletic but it becomes harder for him to play his style against those bigger, stronger teams.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sivert » February 3rd, 2023, 11:47 am

jsaluki080 wrote:Since we're a 1-bid league this year, is there a team that would be best suited to advance the furthest in the NCAA tournament?You know, most of the MVC seems to be more or less on par with each other but, is there a team that matches up better with other conference opponents?
I know, maybe a dumb question but I'm really wanting to see an MVC team win a few games at the big dance and if my salukis get knocked out early at Arch Madness then who do I cheer for?

I think this is a really good question. As much as I hate to type it, it might be Drake. Having the option of a big man is something that UNI doesn't have. Belmont, also, can shoot and score with anybody. I think those would be my answer. I just haven't watched Bradley enough to really compare - I'll get my first good look at them on Saturday!
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 3rd, 2023, 11:52 am

I hate it but it's Drake.

Old guys and Roman Penn. They've got no depth but that doesn't really matter in the NCAA Tournament.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » February 3rd, 2023, 11:59 am

Good question and some good responses above.

As far as Southern, when they are really dialed in and determined defensively, as I'm sure they would be for an NCAA matchup, they can disrupt the hell out of even talented teams that aren't used to being guarded like that (see the first 15 minutes or so of the UNLV game and portions of the Oklahoma State game). The challenge is, most teams eventually adjust, and all those NCAA teams will have a long, athletic, physical wing to make life tough for Domask, necessitating others to step up offensively, which often doesn't go well. I wouldn't totally rule out the Salukis pulling an upset with the right matchup, but I agree some of the others are probably better-suited.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » February 3rd, 2023, 1:50 pm

Drake for all the reasons everyone has said. They got the old dude playing for them. Emmenecker joked late in the broadcast on Wednesday about Sturtz being their glue guy for 10 years.

After that...I'm not sure I see anyone having the horses to advance.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 3rd, 2023, 2:20 pm

I agree on Drake. Mostly because of Penn and Devries.

Bradley's roster overall is probably as good as Drake's - but it doesn't have the same guard play or same ability of guys to create shots. Guys like Mast, Henry and Leons all need guards to get them the ball.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » February 3rd, 2023, 3:01 pm

Its all about matchup come tourney time. But any team from the Valley currently in the top 8, slotted into the 12 seed line would have a good shot at advancing, perhaps to the Sweet 16.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Salukimadness86 » February 3rd, 2023, 3:32 pm

I'd say Drake/Bradley based on recent tournament success and experience for both. BU plays well at the MVC tourney, and Drake has had some nice wins in the NCAA's. BU has some strong, athletic players, who can play some excellent defense. Drake has multiple fifth year Seniors who have been there/done that.
As for the MVC tournament?
UNI could surprise, as well as Belmont, SIU, and Murray. The league is up for grabs, and will not change come MVC Tourney time. Whomever gets on a roll trending that weekend will have the advantage.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball