MVC Games Week 14

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 14

Postby bradley_townie » February 13th, 2023, 4:31 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Really curious what the atmosphere will be like on Senior day against Drake, especially if both teams can manage to get to 15-4. Would be something.

Looked like a pretty good crowd for Murray State. Official attendance was 6,213. I imagine that means somewhere between 5-6k actually in attendance.

If Bradley and Drake go 3-0 and are both sitting at 15-4, that means the winner takes the MVC title. Considering Bradley hasn't won a title in over 25 years, I could easily see 7-8k+ in attendance.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 13th, 2023, 5:47 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:You get called ridiculous for saying ridiculous things like there were 1,000 at the Ford Center. I was there yesterday, you weren't. The lower bowl holds around 6K. A fair estimation would have the lower bowl 45 to 50% filled, as such, would put butts in the seats around 3K. That doesn't include the suites, or bar areas. 30% of a 10K arena will look empty, and it is certainly below our standards.

TV appears worse because end zones aren't sold until the sidelines are full..which again, they obviously were not yesterday.

From what I understand, nearly everyone counts tickets sold. There have been group tickets sold, but not given away as you also ridiculously proclaim. I don't know how SIU does it, nor do I obsess about it either. Even at 3K the fact that many showed up on a beautiful Super Bowl Sunday after what this program has been through is impressive.

Just curious, does Evansville have an on campus arena that they don’t use?

No. I wish we had something like Bradley has, at least for a retro game or for the women's team. There is a fieldhouse on campus that the women's basketball and volleyball team play in. It's entirely too small to ever be used for anything more than it is. The simple truth is the campus is somewhat landlocked, especially for a sizeable project like an arena. There really isn't a need though, the Ford Center is exactly 2.0 miles down the same street from the door of Carson Center (the athletics building) to the main entrance.

It makes sense for them to use it logistically. The experience would be a lot better if they had something that actually fit their basketball team, and if it weren’t a hockey arena. That place is just way too big. And if I remember right, don’t they charge for parking in lots around and food being priced like you’re at a professional game? Having to deal with TicketMaster (and the fees associated with that) doesn’t help either. Granted, I know UE doesn’t have control on anything I just mentioned. I caught a USI game a couple weekends back and I really liked the experience there. That new arena fits them well.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BigMacAttack » February 13th, 2023, 6:27 pm

USI did open its new basketball arena this year with a capacity of 4,800. USI is located 5 miles west of downtown Evansville on 1,400 acres and has plenty of parking available for those fans.
UE is located 2 miles east of downtown Evansville on 100 acres. The campus is surround by residential property on 3 sides and the Lloyd expressway on the north side.
Carson Center was built in 1962 with 2 basketball courts for PE classes. The center also housed the swimming pool, a wrestling/volleyball gym, athletic offices, locker rooms and class rooms. The 2 basketball courts were repurposed a few years ago for the women's basketball team to play on campus rather than in the 10,000 seat Ford Center. Seating capacity is 1,000, bench seating with a few that have backs. There is no street parking for fans and the adjacent parking lot has several hundred spots available.
"Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read."- Frank Zappa.
BigMacAttack
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » February 13th, 2023, 6:40 pm

I've always parked for free in Evansville at the parking lot down the street from the Ford Center near the Events Plaza
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 13th, 2023, 7:31 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I've always parked for free in Evansville at the parking lot down the street from the Ford Center near the Events Plaza

I could be wrong on the parking but I thought I always had to pay like $10. Been a while though.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » February 14th, 2023, 7:29 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:I've always parked for free in Evansville at the parking lot down the street from the Ford Center near the Events Plaza

I could be wrong on the parking but I thought I always had to pay like $10. Been a while though.

That Events Plaza lot is free and about a 2-3 block walk. There are a few lots that charge $10 but not necessary. My usual lot is literally right next to the Ford Center along 6th. It is $5, and if you use the 6th Street stairs when leaving, you walk out of the building directly across the street from your car. Another easy option if it is raining or bad weather is the Doubletree garage. It is $7, but a lot of the times, they just have the exit gate open when you leave. Indoor parking, walk down a hallway and up to the catwalk into the Ford, never getting outside. Plus there is a lobby bar that makes a nice pit stop. Leaving downtown through the various exit options is a breeze compared to the old days of the giant Roberts Stadium lot that had all of 2 exit points.

Concessions are outrageous, and pretty much cost prohibitive for a family. This is on the arena operator, which has been under fire lately for a few issues, most recently, kicking Kenny Strawbridge's family out before they got to see him after a game. The university quickly jumped in and rectified it with the Venuworks going forward, along with a public statement. An example of the new AD and regime. A year ago, our AD would have simply said not our problem, that is between parents and the arena management.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball