Way too early look at next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Way too early look at next year

Postby Chuck A » May 7th, 2023, 4:34 am

At this point, for me, next season's favorite is Belmont. Although they lost some to the portal and Ben Sheppard trying the NBA, they also rebounded quite well from the same portal and acquired some good high school recruits. Belmont seems to have the most upside.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BruinGrad » May 7th, 2023, 4:44 am

Chuck A wrote:At this point, for me, next season's favorite is Belmont. Although they lost some to the portal and Ben Sheppard trying the NBA, they also rebounded quite well from the same portal and acquired some good high school recruits. Belmont seems to have the most upside.

I really like Belmont's front line now, but depth at the shooting guard position is a concern for me. If one of the freshmen guards develops quickly, I would feel better about our chances.
BruinGrad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Chuck A » May 7th, 2023, 5:06 am

BruinGrad wrote:
Chuck A wrote:At this point, for me, next season's favorite is Belmont. Although they lost some to the portal and Ben Sheppard trying the NBA, they also rebounded quite well from the same portal and acquired some good high school recruits. Belmont seems to have the most upside.

I really like Belmont's front line now, but depth at the shooting guard position is a concern for me. If one of the freshmen guards develops quickly, I would feel better about our chances.

Cade Tyson could very well be in the running for the Larry Bird Award. NBA potential.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jturner38 » May 8th, 2023, 9:01 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Ali wrote:So who is the favorite? Probably Drake in my opinion just because Devries is back, but I don't think D+ is a slam dunk pick for the top spot. Better question might be if the Valley can rise up some and get back to being a multi-bid league.

Drake still has 5 or 6 scholarships open, depending on whether Brodie gets a redshirt for his second season at Seton Hall. Way, way too many unknowns to put Drake as the favorite.

Just curious, how many scholarship do other MVC schools have open? I'm pretty sure Illinois State has filled all of their's.

INSU has 1 more scholarship to fill. We think it should be a big to split time/backup Avila. We do have a HS Big but we have no idea how ready he will be plus having another big won't hurt. Otherwise I guess we would go small with Kent playing the 5.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ValleyFAN » May 8th, 2023, 11:46 am

The portal is great because now every single fanbase thinks their team is going to win the league. Love it.
I think projecting the league largely depends on three things:
1. Returning production which will lead to immediate cohesion.
2. Coaching, coaching, coaching.
3. Portal additions.

The first one is really important. And if you're relying on number three, you'd better have number two for sure.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » May 8th, 2023, 2:20 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:The portal is great because now every single fanbase thinks their team is going to win the league. Love it.
I think projecting the league largely depends on three things:
1. Returning production which will lead to immediate cohesion.
2. Coaching, coaching, coaching.
3. Portal additions.

The first one is really important. And if you're relying on number three, you'd better have number two for sure.

I hardly see people saying that ; don't think fans from UE,Valpo, Illinois State, SIU, Murray, UIC, or even Missouri State think they're gonna win the league this year.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 9th, 2023, 11:33 am

Chuck A wrote:
BruinGrad wrote:

Cade Tyson could very well be in the running for the Larry Bird Award. NBA potential.

I think I feel reasonably comfortable saying that only Bradley, Indiana State, Drake, Belmont or UNI have a chance to be picked to finish first next season and can eliminate the other 7 teams from consideration.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » May 9th, 2023, 12:31 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:I think I feel reasonably comfortable saying that only Bradley, Indiana State, Drake, Belmont or UNI have a chance to be picked to finish first next season and can eliminate the other 7 teams from consideration.

Now I don't think you can say that; Missouri State beat all those teams but Bradley last year and have more returning experience than almost all, with 8 guys with starting experience returning and getting Lee back from injury and a pair of solid adds in the portal . Ford's Ford, but MSU has as much talent as they've had in the years they've finished 2nd and and a pair of 3rds under Ford. We will be in the race.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » May 9th, 2023, 12:52 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:I think I feel reasonably comfortable saying that only Bradley, Indiana State, Drake, Belmont or UNI have a chance to be picked to finish first next season and can eliminate the other 7 teams from consideration.

Replace Belmont with Missouri State and I think you're right.

Belmont has a lot back but Ben Sheppards don't grow on trees.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball