Way too early look at next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Way too early look at next year

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 24th, 2023, 12:10 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:BTW, I think Coach Mullins has done a great job of bringing SIU back to the brink from what we had under Lowery's last few years and then that dude who followed him.

Barry's last four seasons SIU had a Ken Pom of: 139, 150, 135, 146 - 142.50 AVE

Mullin's first four seasons SIU has a Ken Pom of: 178, 192, 125, 130 - 156.3 AVE

I know SIU fans FEEL differently about the program. But looking at it objectively it's basically the same program now as it was under Barry.

Great post. That’s actually a slightly better program under Barry - both in Arch Madness seeding and KenPom.

Both are good coaches, but SIU fans will only give credit to one.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » February 24th, 2023, 12:14 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:BTW, I think Coach Mullins has done a great job of bringing SIU back to the brink from what we had under Lowery's last few years and then that dude who followed him.

Barry's last four seasons SIU had a Ken Pom of: 139, 150, 135, 146 - 142.50 AVE

Mullin's first four seasons SIU has a Ken Pom of: 178, 192, 125, 130 - 156.3 AVE

I know SIU fans FEEL differently about the program. But looking at it objectively it's basically the same program now as it was under Barry.

Great post. That’s actually a slightly better program under Barry - both in Arch Madness seeding and KenPom.

Both are good coaches, but SIU fans will only give credit to one.

While true, I still would tend to give Mullins some benefit of the doubt just based on the fact it's the first rodeo of his career. But yeah, it's largely a push.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 1:47 pm

I'd say SIU is slightly better right now under Mullins because Barry wouldn't be getting wins against Butler, Colorado, and Oklahoma State. But Barry also had SIU advancing to Saturday in Arch Madness 3 of his 7 seasons, something Mullins hasn't done yet and Barry was there with Wichita still so the conference was a bit tougher.

If SIU can't get past Friday this year and they lose all their Seniors and next year is a rebuild year, it's going to be really hard for people to continue to defend Mullins.

Mullins isn't even going to get close to an NIT with 4 years of Domask and Jones, that's really more gross than anything Dana Ford has done.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PretzelDawg » February 24th, 2023, 3:08 pm

Mullins last 2 years are much better than a barbeque sauce salesman who had been at it for 20 years.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Salukimadness86 » February 24th, 2023, 3:35 pm

PretzelDawg wrote:Mullins last 2 years are much better than a barbeque sauce salesman who had been at it for 20 years.

Bingo!
Mullins is technically completing his third full season as a Head Coach.
COVID season had too many postponements, players out, and stoppage of play. This is true for any team that season. Bottom line is Hinson had SEVEN full seasons at SIU and zero post season. Nice guy who could sell you anything, just couldn't win or beat anyone when it mattered. Nuff said.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 30ASaluki » February 24th, 2023, 3:48 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I'd say SIU is slightly better right now under Mullins because Barry wouldn't be getting wins against Butler, Colorado, and Oklahoma State. But Barry also had SIU advancing to Saturday in Arch Madness 3 of his 7 seasons, something Mullins hasn't done yet and Barry was there with Wichita still so the conference was a bit tougher.

If SIU can't get past Friday this year and they lose all their Seniors and next year is a rebuild year, it's going to be really hard for people to continue to defend Mullins.

Mullins isn't even going to get close to an NIT with 4 years of Domask and Jones, that's really more gross than anything Dana Ford has done.

Gosh, I really hate to spoil a good story with the facts, but…, Hinson left the cubbard pretty bare, SIU was picked last in the conference in Mullins first year, as I recall they finished 5th. Mullins was a hero. In year two Domask missed probably 90% of the conference games with a foot injury and surgery, so it is quite disingenuous to state that he had 4 years of Domask and Jones. But you never have anything positive to say about SIU, so I understand.
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
PretzelDawg wrote:Mullins last 2 years are much better than a barbeque sauce salesman who had been at it for 20 years.

Bingo!
COVID season had too many postponements, players out, and stoppage of play. This is true for any team that season. Bottom line is Hinson had SEVEN full seasons at SIU and zero post season. Nice guy who could sell you anything, just couldn't win or beat anyone when it mattered. Nuff said.

Time to sign Mullins to a lifetime contract.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 24th, 2023, 4:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:

Bingo!

Time to sign Mullins to a lifetime contract.

Agreed. Worked out great the last time they did it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » February 24th, 2023, 4:08 pm

I’ll never get why SIU fans wanted Hinson fired for not making a postseason tournament but defend Mullins who hasn’t hit a postseason tournament in 4 years (assuming they don’t win Arch Madness this year). If Domask and Jones are gone, next year is a 5th year rebuild and now you’re looking at Year 6 as the next chance for a postseason appearance (whether it be NIT or NCAA’s).

I want Mullins to succeed but he’s looking very shaky right now. His in-game coaching is bottom tier in the Valley and they haven’t been able to develop any of their recruits besides Domask and Jones (and Jones is underachieving this season).

And for Hinson left the cupboard bare, wait until you find out who recruited Lance Jones

FWIW, SIU made the correct decision to let Hinson go. You shouldn’t settle for mediocrity and that’s what Hinson was bringing and I was a fan of the Mullins hire. I’m just calling it for what it is right now and I hope things get better.
Last edited by SalukiWorld on February 24th, 2023, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiHoops » February 24th, 2023, 4:09 pm

Mullins better find some success in Arch Madness or the portal...

If not, I have to believe Southern is taking a dive in the standings. Just 1 Class of 23 commit thus far... That makes you wonder what is in store for the offseason. Also, it's hard for me to imagine that Domask and Jones both come back. And if SIU fails to make a semi yet again, I don't really blame them.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball