NET

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NET

Postby Majik45 » February 23rd, 2023, 3:13 pm

Drakey wrote:Delude yourself then. Bradley lucked in to two games counting as Quad 1, which are just mid majors who happened to be better than usual (Liberty and Utah State) Got Auburn in a tournament, which most Valley teams would not be able to get into, and took a buy game at Arkansas. You got ONE power 5 regularly scheduled game at their place with no chance that nay of them would ever play in Peoria.

I mean technically the Arkansas game was a "Neutral" site game, as the game was played in Little Rock, not in Fayetteville on their home court.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » February 23rd, 2023, 3:38 pm

Drakey wrote:Delude yourself then. Bradley lucked in to two games counting as Quad 1, which are just mid majors who happened to be better than usual (Liberty and Utah State) Got Auburn in a tournament, which most Valley teams would not be able to get into, and took a buy game at Arkansas. You got ONE power 5 regularly scheduled game at their place with no chance that nay of them would ever play in Peoria.

I've got a pretty solid grasp on how D1 basketball scheduling works.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 23rd, 2023, 5:21 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

That's responsive. You have no evidence so you deem yourself an expert.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 23rd, 2023, 5:34 pm

Drakey wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

That's responsive. You have no evidence so you deem yourself an expert.

What evidence would you like?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Countrypanther » February 23rd, 2023, 6:33 pm

I'm with Drakey, good Valley programs rarely will ever get the opportunity to play multiple top 75 P5 teams in one nonconference season. I'm of the opinion that all good mid major teams should refuse to play any P5 schools until the NCAA tournament. Make it even more obvious that the deck is stacked.
Countrypanther
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Action10 » February 23rd, 2023, 7:45 pm

Liberty has won 20 games in 7 straight seasons and 30 games in the 2020 season. Both Liberty and Utah State have made 2 of the past 3 NCAA Tournaments and both teams had won their conference auto-bid in 2020 before COVID ended the season.
Buy games at power conference teams are a good opportunity to get a resume building win AND get paid $75,000+, so what's wrong with that?
I don't understand your points here.....
Action10
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 30ASaluki » February 23rd, 2023, 8:18 pm

Drakey wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Bottom line is we need to schedule better. Wardle did a good job this year but didn’t cash in on the opps unfortunately.

You don't get it. They won't play a decent mid major team.

Oklahoma State plays in Carbondale this year, 2 for 1 deal. You take what you can get.
30ASaluki
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Drakey » February 23rd, 2023, 8:27 pm

Action10 wrote:

Liberty has won 20 games in 7 straight seasons and 30 games in the 2020 season. Both Liberty and Utah State have made 2 of the past 3 NCAA Tournaments and both teams had won their conference auto-bid in 2020 before COVID ended the season.
Buy games at power conference teams are a good opportunity to get a resume building win AND get paid $75,000+, so what's wrong with that?
I don't understand your points here.....

My point is pretty simple. The power 5 conferences have developed a system where post season qualifications are based on how many teams in those 5 conferences you have played, and the teams from those conferences will not schedule good mid-major teams. Those teams play each other or very low major teams at home for guaranteed victories. I thought everybody who was a fan of any mid-major program realized this. Somebody made a comment that my assertion was nonsense and that Power 5 games are easy to schedule. Drake use to play Iowa, Iowa State yearly and also would play Big Ten and Big Twelve teams on a regular basis. Iowa and Iowa State made sure that ended. They didn't have room on their schedule as they had to schedule a couple more SWAC teams and South Carolina Upstate.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Action10 » February 23rd, 2023, 8:47 pm

Drakey wrote:My point is pretty simple. The power 5 conferences have developed a system where post season qualifications are based on how many teams in those 5 conferences you have played, and the teams from those conferences will not schedule good mid-major teams. Those teams play each other or very low major teams at home for guaranteed victories. I thought everybody who was a fan of any mid-major program realized this. Somebody made a comment that my assertion was nonsense and that Power 5 games are easy to schedule. Drake use to play Iowa, Iowa State yearly and also would play Big Ten and Big Twelve teams on a regular basis. Iowa and Iowa State made sure that ended. They didn't have room on their schedule as they had to schedule a couple more SWAC teams and South Carolina Upstate.

Then how does UNI get these games with power conference schools? How does SIU get these games with power conference schools? How does Liberty, St. Mary's, Oral Roberts, Utah State, San Diego State, San Francisco get these games with power conference schools? North Texas, UAB, UNLV, Florida Atlantic get them too. These are all top quality mid-majors and they are all getting power conference opponents and some of them multiple power conference opponents, along with other good mid-major opponents.

What am I missing?
Action10
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » February 23rd, 2023, 9:23 pm

Action10 wrote:
Drakey wrote:My point is pretty simple. The power 5 conferences have developed a system where post season qualifications are based on how many teams in those 5 conferences you have played, and the teams from those conferences will not schedule good mid-major teams. Those teams play each other or very low major teams at home for guaranteed victories. I thought everybody who was a fan of any mid-major program realized this. Somebody made a comment that my assertion was nonsense and that Power 5 games are easy to schedule. Drake use to play Iowa, Iowa State yearly and also would play Big Ten and Big Twelve teams on a regular basis. Iowa and Iowa State made sure that ended. They didn't have room on their schedule as they had to schedule a couple more SWAC teams and South Carolina Upstate.

Then how does UNI get these games with power conference schools? How does SIU get these games with power conference schools? How does Liberty, St. Mary's, Oral Roberts, Utah State, San Diego State, San Francisco get these games with power conference schools? North Texas, UAB, UNLV, Florida Atlantic get them too. These are all top quality mid-majors and they are all getting power conference opponents and some of them multiple power conference opponents, along with other good mid-major opponents.

What am I missing?

Darian has proven over and over he's unwilling to go on the road. If you want those games, your can find those games. You just have to be flexible in dates and not pick and and choose who you play.

You also have to do the hard work to figure out what mid-majors are going to be good and be willing to go on the road for the first one. The only series he's gotten like that is Richmond and I know that Richmond initiated that one because Jake got Darian to return Mooney's call.

It's really easy to buy Omaha or Kansas City or Mississippi Valley or SELA but you're scheduling yourself out of an at large before the you have your first practice.

It sucks that we're probably only going to have 3 non-conference home games next year but it's worth it if we can go win some of those games.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball