MVC Games Week 16

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games Week 16

Postby SalukiWorld » February 26th, 2023, 10:39 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:Sunday’s game made decide Larry Bird Award Winner.

Should be Tucker either way

Tucker didn’t look like the Larry Bird winner against Bradley.
Mast looked like the POY.

Tucker went for 28 last time they played and Mast went for 10. One game won't change my mind. It'll be Tucker.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » February 27th, 2023, 8:23 am

Tucker probably wins POY because voters reward scoring, which is an important thing in basketball :) and his team was close to the top.

I agree with others that he's likely less valuable than Penn, though his presence makes Penn better. I think that gets overlooked. Part of the reason Penn has space to operate is because Tucker is on his team.

I won't be surprised if Mast gets a ton of first place votes. He's a good, steady player who does a hell of a job on the glass - and his team won the league.

Krikke should be 1st team even though Valpo is hot garbage. He's had a great year.

Count me as a fan of Leons as well. Guy is a tough, long defender.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bradley_townie » February 27th, 2023, 8:47 am

Rienk Mast is absolutely deserving of POY.

He likely won't get it because he doesn't put up the monster points that voters gravitate towards. Bradley is deep enough that there isn't a reliance on one or two guys scoring most of your points like some other teams with POY candidates. He is the rock of Bradley's offense and without him this team doesn't win the title. He gets overshadowed a bit by Leons on how good he is defensively. 2nd in the MVC in rebounds/game and does a great job defending the rim.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » February 27th, 2023, 8:57 am

Side note: WTH is Bradley doing?

I went to the BU site to read their recap of the game...and nothing. Seriously? The game started at 3 p.m. CST - it's now 9 a.m. CST.

Write the damn game story and post it.

Winning the league title should be plastered on your front page.

Did they fire the SID staff?
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 27th, 2023, 9:00 am

TylerDurden wrote:Side note: WTH is Bradley doing?

I went to the BU site to read their recap of the game...and nothing. Seriously? The game started at 3 p.m. CST - it's now 9 a.m. CST.

It’s been a major problem all year. The SID for MBB is a former BB manager who just graduated in December. He cares but is in over his head and his priorities are out of whack.

And the upper admin of athletics doesn’t prioritize that roll at all. It’s too bad.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bradley_townie » February 27th, 2023, 9:03 am

The student newspaper at least is locked in and does a pretty good job with coverage. http://www.bradleyscout.com/
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Majik45 » February 27th, 2023, 9:34 am

TylerDurden wrote:I won't be surprised if Mast gets a ton of first place votes. He's a good, steady player who does a hell of a job on the glass - and his team won the league.

Mast is just just so steady of a player. He reached double figures in 24 of 25 games this year, not reaching it the game at Murray State where he only played 22 minutes with 2 first half fouls. He averaged 13.85 points in MVC play, yet only scored over 20 points once. He had 6 double doubles in MVC ply in 20 games, and reached at least 8 rebounds in 10 of 20 games, averaging 7.85 rebounds a game in MVC play. He also quietly is averaging nearly 2.85 assists in MVC play as well.

Not a flashy huge numbers guy, but just an absolute steady presence in the middle for Bradley.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » February 27th, 2023, 9:36 am

bradley_townie wrote:

The student newspaper at least is locked in and does a pretty good job with coverage. http://www.bradleyscout.com/

They hired a new SID for MBB and a couple other sports just over a month ago, and from all accounts doesn't take advice or direction well. And so far, doesn't seem to be willing to put in the work. Probably too busy celebrating to be bothered with the post-game responsibilities.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 27th, 2023, 9:48 am

Hopefully he gets better. I believe he’s only 22.
Last edited by MissouriValleyUnite on February 27th, 2023, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » February 27th, 2023, 10:13 am

squirrel wrote:They hired a new SID for MBB and a couple other sports just over a month ago, and from all accounts doesn't take advice or direction well. And so far, doesn't seem to be willing to put in the work. Probably too busy celebrating to be bothered with the post-game responsibilities.

Too bad. This is a great moment for BU and it's being squandered because of a bad hire.

If I were the AD and invested that much in a program, I'd want a capable person telling the story.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball