Arch Madness Matchups

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Arch Madness Matchups

Postby Mikovio » February 28th, 2023, 10:28 am

SalukiWorld wrote:I think SIU could have given Bradley a fight. Think Bradley is probably happy they don’t have to deal with that again. SIU already won their ugly game against Drake this year, not sure it’s going to happen again.

Agree with this. I’m very happy SIU is on the other side. Their bruising stout defense will take a lot out of you even if you win. Let Drake have that rock fight. Plus SIU will have a huge crowd.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » February 28th, 2023, 11:38 am

Aspects I'm most curious about this first year with 12 teams:

How the 8/9 winner competes with a full day to recover instead of 15 hours.

How competent teams can capitalize on court and environment familiarity on day two.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » February 28th, 2023, 11:55 am

I was watching Josh Schertz’s press conference after Sunday’s loss and he seemed to spin it where playing on Thursday actually isn’t bad because Friday teams won’t be able to practice in the arena at all. The first time Friday teams play at Enterprise is when their game starts.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » February 28th, 2023, 12:00 pm

3 games in 3 days > 4 games in 4 days. There’s no spinning around that.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » February 28th, 2023, 12:31 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I was watching Josh Schertz’s press conference after Sunday’s loss and he seemed to spin it where playing on Thursday actually isn’t bad because Friday teams won’t be able to practice in the arena at all. The first time Friday teams play at Enterprise is when their game starts.

Yep. In the past, it hasn't mattered too much because the imbalance between the play-in teams was greater.

It's a unique advantage for the first half, I think. And for a faster paced team like Indiana St, there isn't time for opponents to process the same information. But interestingly, Belmont is the team I think that is best-equipped to adapt and respond to a new environment, and quickly.

Indiana State also can get off and running and rest guys with a blowout late.

But the conversation beyond day 2 is how your legs can withstand day 3.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 28th, 2023, 12:55 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:I was watching Josh Schertz’s press conference after Sunday’s loss and he seemed to spin it where playing on Thursday actually isn’t bad because Friday teams won’t be able to practice in the arena at all. The first time Friday teams play at Enterprise is when their game starts.

Spin is definitely the right verb to use.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 28th, 2023, 1:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

I think there is absolutely an argument that playing on Thursday helps teams in their "Friday" matchup. Familiarity and getting the nerves out and playing "with nothing to lose" against a team that is supposed to beat you are all positives and worth pointing out. Having to play Thursday doesn't kill your legs by Friday. Having to play Thursday is absolutely a disadvantage as you get later into the week and your legs wear more and more.

It's definitely a disadvantage overall, but I can definitely understand some of the advantages earlier on in the tournament specifically for someone like Indiana State that is likely going to get something equivalent to a practive scrimmage against Evansville.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby usmcsaluki » February 28th, 2023, 1:20 pm

squirrel wrote:The 1 seed has won Arch Madness just twice in the last 8 tournaments.

Thanks for finding and posting this; I was wondering this recently.

I'm confident the title will go to one of the top 3 seeds, but the teams at the top are just so close this year - should make for a fun weekend!
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Billyb60046 » February 28th, 2023, 1:51 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I think there is absolutely an argument that playing on Thursday helps teams in their "Friday" matchup. Familiarity and getting the nerves out and playing "with nothing to lose" against a team that is supposed to beat you are all positives and worth pointing out. Having to play Thursday doesn't kill your legs by Friday. Having to play Thursday is absolutely a disadvantage as you get later into the week and your legs wear more and more.

It's definitely a disadvantage overall, but I can definitely understand some of the advantages earlier on in the tournament specifically for someone like Indiana State that is likely going to get something equivalent to a practive scrimmage against Evansville.

I actually think the day off is an advantage to Bradley and Drake. Bradley obviously celebrating winning the regular season this week, so an extra day to rest up isn't a bad thing imo.
Drake is full of veteran players that have won a lot of games in STL. I am not letting them off the hook with a "it's their first game without a warm up in the arena" excuse this year. It might not be pretty, and you don't get style points for winning at Arch Madness, but Drake needs to find a way to win Friday, period.

They kept throwing out the stat that no team has ever won four games before in Arch Madness - I think if a team can, it's SIU or Indiana State, but that's a long weekend of four straight games. Indiana State maybe because Evansville will give them very little if any resistence imo.
Billyb60046
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » February 28th, 2023, 3:43 pm

I know for a fact that SIU won’t be winning 4 games in STL this year. Haha
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball