Transfer Portal 2023

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Postby BCPanther » May 23rd, 2023, 1:59 pm

If you look a few posts up on this very thread, I said that I didn't believe that we'd see Phyfe again and that's why getting Hutson was such a priority.

UNI will be very good this year regardless of Phyfe's status. Anything he would happen to give us, and again that feels like a longshot, is pure gravy.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 24th, 2023, 7:29 am

BCPanther wrote:If you look a few posts up on this very thread, I said that I didn't believe that we'd see Phyfe again and that's why getting Hutson was such a priority.

UNI will be very good this year regardless of Phyfe's status. Anything he would happen to give us, and again that feels like a longshot, is pure gravy.

I never said you didn't. Its a lot of other UNI fans that I see still placing him in the starting lineup. But I do agree that regardless of Phyfe, UNI should be very good next year. There is no reason that they shouldn't be picked to finish top 4 and have a chance to compete for the title.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » June 12th, 2023, 9:51 am

SIU rounded out its roster over the past 10 days or so by adding a pair of veteran transfers: Jovan Stulic (6-6 from Little Rock, two years left) and RJ McGee (6-5 from Tulane, one year left).

Stulic is primarily a 3-point threat. He shot over 40 percent from 3 two seasons ago and then missed almost all of last year with an injury.

McGee started 27 games for Tulane over his career there but also came off the bench quite a bit. He scored 17 against Wichita in the AAC tournament last year and scored 14 in a game against Memphis but only averaged 4.4 ppg last year. He is a long guard who can slash some and appears to be just an OK shooter.

So this spring (summer?), SIU added four guys from the portal, also factoring in Jarrett Hensley from Cincinnati and Trey Miller from Incarnate Word, and Sheridan Sharp, a high school point guard signee. SIU also adds Kennard Davis, a high school wing who signed in the fall.

Plenty more time to analyze between now and November, but bottom line is SIU has a big, athletic and deep roster, but will likely have to have very balanced scoring to be an upper-half Valley team with only Miller having ever averaged 10 or more ppg at the D-I level. Going to need some guys to outperform their track records offensively.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball