Transfer Portal 2023

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Postby tribecalledquest » May 17th, 2023, 9:43 pm

To me it's simple.

If you are a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, etc. Then if you have extra seasons you label them as such at the time. Redshirt-senior, 6th year, grad transfer, whatever. To me it provides a lot more clarity and information on how old these guys really are.

It doesn't change anything on the court either way obviously.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ValleyFAN » May 18th, 2023, 6:46 am

tribecalledquest wrote:To me it's simple.

If you are a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, etc. Then if you have extra seasons you label them as such at the time. Redshirt-senior, 6th year, grad transfer, whatever. To me it provides a lot more clarity and information on how old these guys really are.

Agreed and this is why I get annoyed when teams label a 3rd or 4th year player as a sophomore, and then the media proclaims them as a "young" team. It gets old.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sivert » May 18th, 2023, 7:54 am

The way we do it is best! Your method is terrible!
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 18th, 2023, 10:01 am

ValleyFAN wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:To me it's simple.

Agreed and this is why I get annoyed when teams label a 3rd or 4th year player as a sophomore, and then the media proclaims them as a "young" team. It gets old.

Yeah, it just seems really dumb to me that Trey Campbell is in his second year and Nate Heise is graduating and they are both listed as sophs.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bulldog4life24 » May 19th, 2023, 9:51 pm

Drake added 6’7” wing Carlos Rosario today, a transfer from Wash State w/ 3 years of eligibility left. Medical redshirt last year. Chose the Bulldogs over Toledo and Oral Roberts
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PretzelDawg » May 22nd, 2023, 9:40 am

High schools offer so much more college credit than they did previously. This also makes it hard to label what year a player really is. For athletic purposes, freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior still seems to make the most sense. Once we get these COVID players through the process, redshirts or medical redshirts should be about the only thing making the system weird right now.
PretzelDawg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sivert » May 22nd, 2023, 5:38 pm

I think I would most like to have an X-X-year system. Where “year” is based on eligibility and for “X” put in R for red shirt, C for COVID, and I for Injury

So Phyfe would be a R-C-I-senior this year, if he gets the injury exception.
Go Panthers!!
sivert
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 23rd, 2023, 7:08 am

sivert wrote:I think I would most like to have an X-X-year system. Where “year” is based on eligibility and for “X” put in R for red shirt, C for COVID, and I for Injury

I wish Phyfe would just retire already so we can all stop pretending that he is going to come back and play this season, let alone make an impact.

(God bless him, I feel bad he's had to deal with this, but he's never going to play again)
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 23rd, 2023, 7:43 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
sivert wrote:I think I would most like to have an X-X-year system. Where “year” is based on eligibility and for “X” put in R for red shirt, C for COVID, and I for Injury

I wish Phyfe would just retire already so we can all stop pretending that he is going to come back and play this season, let alone make an impact.

(God bless him, I feel bad he's had to deal with this, but he's never going to play again)

Your compassion knows no bounds.... :roll:
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 23rd, 2023, 1:46 pm

BCPanther wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

Your compassion knows no bounds.... :roll:

Don't twist my words around. Again, I'm not wishing ill on the kid. I feel terrible for him. But he hasn't played a game healthy in 26 months. I get that UNI fans are trying to be optimistic, but lets call a spade a spade here. You can't possibly make an objective evaluation of the 2023-2024 UNI season and have Austin Phyfe in it right now.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball