Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 8th, 2023, 4:32 pm

It will be a week ago tomorrow they were blasted by 30 on a Thursday night. They lose their top players and have no non-seniors averaging 5 PPG.

KenPom/Attendance
'11 95 / 3362
'12 138 / 3383
'13 65 / 3173
'14 163 / 2833
'15 64 / 3066
'16 42 / 3572
[Lottich]
'17 104 / 3086
'18 150 / 2722
'19 220 / 2611
'20 146 / 2797
'21 193 / na
'22 202 / 1758
'23 289 / 1625
Last edited by MissouriValleyUnite on March 8th, 2023, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Postby BCPanther » March 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm

They apparently can't afford to buy him out for his last year, so yes?

What an absolute dumpster fire of an add.

To be fair to Lottich, nobody can win there with the support they're given and if somebody happens to, they'll be gone so fast that heads will spin.
Last edited by BCPanther on March 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm

I would hope not, but if he's not fired by now, I doubt he will be.

Valpo has been a terrible addition.
Last edited by TylerDurden on March 8th, 2023, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » March 8th, 2023, 4:51 pm

BCPanther wrote:They apparently can't afford to buy him out for his last year, so yes?

To be fair to Lottich, nobody can win there with the support they're given and if somebody happens to, they'll be gone so fast that heads will spin.

I can agree with that on some levels. They do not have much in the way of support/resources, so winning there is hard.

However, weren't they promising some upgrades and additional support if they were added?

From the outside, it appears they haven't done much in the way of improvements.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 8th, 2023, 4:54 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
BCPanther wrote:They apparently can't afford to buy him out for his last year, so yes?

I can agree with that on some levels. They do not have much in the way of support/resources, so winning there is hard.

However, weren't they promising some upgrades and additional support if they were added?

Can't find a link, but I think they added air conditioning a few years ago.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 8th, 2023, 4:57 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:

Can't find a link, but I think they added air conditioning a few years ago.

I hope so. UNI played an early September volleyball game there where it was 94 degrees on the court.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » March 8th, 2023, 4:59 pm

The only thing I can think of is maybe the administration is scrambling to make the finances work, but agreed, the silence so far is not encouraging. At a minimum the AD owes Valpo fans some sort of public commentary on the state of the program.

But if they keep Lottich due to insufficient resources (and what other rationale could there be?), that kind of underscores the point of Valpo being a really lousy addition.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 8th, 2023, 5:42 pm

What happened the Valpo poster? VUgrad something, right? Wish we could get an update from the ground.

If Valpo was attempting to sell private art collection pieces to fund real estate (new student dorm), I’m guessing that means they can’t even get financing based off their financials. If that’s the case, there isn’t a positive thing about athletics. No facilities upgrades, increased recruiting budget, or competitive salary increases will be coming at a time where you have several coaches at Valley schools who will probably see raises in the short to medium timeframe.

They’re gonna be the new Evansville for a long time to come if that’s all true. Yeesh.
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby just ducky » March 8th, 2023, 6:06 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:What happened the Valpo poster? VUgrad something, right? Wish we could get an update from the ground.

If Valpo was attempting to sell private art collection pieces to fund real estate (new student dorm), I’m guessing that means they can’t even get financing based off their financials. If that’s the case, there isn’t a positive thing about athletics. No facilities upgrades, increased recruiting budget, or competitive salary increases will be coming at a time where you have several coaches at Valley schools who will probably see raises in the short to medium timeframe.

They’re gonna be the new Evansville for a long time to come if that’s all true. Yeesh.

The situation is bad and getting worse. I think the administrators have switched into institutional survival mode meaning a Lottich contract buyout is unlikely. Meanwhile the fans including myself are staying away in droves and must be 85% plus in favor of a fresh start. We no longer discuss basketball on the board only who and how to engineer a coaching replacement.

I'll post something on our board to try to to get somebody to come over and say something but I personally am not optimistic.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Milanmiracle » March 8th, 2023, 6:48 pm

Valpo is selling artwork to raise funds for the university itself. Moody’s downgraded their credit rating. Any other questions?

The optics of buying out a basketball coach while selling valuable assets and eliminating programs, professors, and athletic teams over the last few years isn’t a good look. Valpo joining the MVC was a mistake by both parties. They’re WAY over their head.
Milanmiracle
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball