Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Is Valpo keeping Lottich?

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 4th, 2023, 6:59 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:Valpo board thinks they're hiring Lowery. Looks like they'll get a new donor in Dean.

Yeah, there's 2 full pages on him in the coaching search thread and an additional 2 threads about him.

That would be the most shocking hire in MVC history and I find it super compelling.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » April 4th, 2023, 7:26 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Valpo board thinks they're hiring Lowery. Looks like they'll get a new donor in Dean.

Yeah, there's 2 full pages on him in the coaching search thread and an additional 2 threads about him.

That would be the most shocking hire in MVC history and I find it super compelling.

They could do way worse.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 4th, 2023, 7:31 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:They could do way worse.

The job Lowery did at Northwestern did this year was incredible - there's a reason he won ACOY.

I think the perception of him in the coaching fraternity is way different than the perception us MVC fans have. Our perception is outdated because it was years ago when he was in his 30s. He's 50 now and has rebuilt his career.

Coaches can learn lessons and improve too. Sonny Dykes was fired from Cal. He took TCU to the National Championship game in Year 1.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 4th, 2023, 8:28 pm

The job Lowery did at Northwestern did this year was incredible - there's a reason he won ACOY.

I think the perception of him in the coaching fraternity is way different than the perception us MVC fans have. Our perception is outdated because it was years ago when he was in his 30s. He's 50 now and has rebuilt his career.

Coaches can learn lessons and improve too. Sonny Dykes was fired from Cal. He took TCU to the National Championship game in Year 1.

Absolutely.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » April 4th, 2023, 11:27 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

Absolutely.

I agree with your point. You only have to look at Porter in our league for a perfect example of that. My concern with Lowery isn't that he necessarily failed at SIU, it's how he failed. Weber and Painter built SIU into arguably the strongest program in the league. By the time Lowery got the job, just keeping that train on the tracks would have been sufficient. Instead, once those recruits were gone, the program ran off the cliff and crashed, and crashed hard. A crash they still have never completely recovered from. Even Lickliter, who failed miserably rebuilding Iowa and UE was able to maintain Butler and have his protege take it to an even higher level when he left.

To my knowledge. Lowery has never even been a finalist for a HC job since. Even here in his hometown, between UE and USI there have been at least four openings since he left SIU and I don't think he ever got a sniff on any of them.

From the outside, it seems Tonagel was the best choice. Not sure what happened there. Hiring a highly successful coach from a lower level seems to have worked out for Indiana State. Another Indiana coach who shares that similarity would be Todd Franklin at Vincennes. He is 329-72 at Vincennes and 659-169 overall as a head coach. As a JUCO coach, he is rebuilding his roster every two years, which seems like fantastic training for recruiting and navigating the portal world we are in today.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » April 5th, 2023, 9:06 am

E-Villan wrote:
I agree with your point. You only have to look at Porter in our league for a perfect example of that. My concern with Lowery isn't that he necessarily failed at SIU, it's how he failed. Weber and Painter built SIU into arguably the strongest program in the league. By the time Lowery got the job, just keeping that train on the tracks would have been sufficient. Instead, once those recruits were gone, the program ran off the cliff and crashed, and crashed hard. A crash they still have never completely recovered from. Even Lickliter, who failed miserably rebuilding Iowa and UE was able to maintain Butler and have his protege take it to an even higher level when he left.

To my knowledge. Lowery has never even been a finalist for a HC job since. Even here in his hometown, between UE and USI there have been at least four openings since he left SIU and I don't think he ever got a sniff on any of them.

From the outside, it seems Tonagel was the best choice. Not sure what happened there. Hiring a highly successful coach from a lower level seems to have worked out for Indiana State. Another Indiana coach who shares that similarity would be Todd Franklin at Vincennes. He is 329-72 at Vincennes and 659-169 overall as a head coach. As a JUCO coach, he is rebuilding his roster every two years, which seems like fantastic training for recruiting and navigating the portal world we are in today.

Todd Franklin did a heck of a job at Southeastern Illinois College before he went to Vincennes. His brother coached the women’s team and it was not uncommon for both men’s and women’s to be ranked top 10 at the same time. We used to go up and watch doubleheaders on Saturdays there when I was a kid. I’m surprised Franklin has never had a look at the D1 level, at least to my knowledge.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » April 5th, 2023, 9:35 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
Todd Franklin did a heck of a job at Southeastern Illinois College before he went to Vincennes. His brother coached the women’s team and it was not uncommon for both men’s and women’s to be ranked top 10 at the same time. We used to go up and watch doubleheaders on Saturdays there when I was a kid. I’m surprised Franklin has never had a look at the D1 level, at least to my knowledge.

I am too. 26 year successful head coaching career should garner some looks. It could be a case like McCollum where it is going to take something pretty special to lure him away. It's not D-1 money, but I would imagine Franklin is making more than a comfortable wage by Vincennes, Indiana standards. Not that he is on cruise control, but I am certain he is at a point at Vincennes that his stress level is pretty low, certainly lower than attempting a D-1 rebuild. Vincennes also has a nice athletic facility.

As a guy who is familiar with both Lowery and Franklin, which of those would you take?
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » April 5th, 2023, 11:18 am

E-Villan wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

I am too. 26 year successful head coaching career should garner some looks. It could be a case like McCollum where it is going to take something pretty special to lure him away. It's not D-1 money, but I would imagine Franklin is making more than a comfortable wage by Vincennes, Indiana standards. Not that he is on cruise control, but I am certain he is at a point at Vincennes that his stress level is pretty low, certainly lower than attempting a D-1 rebuild. Vincennes also has a nice athletic facility.

As a guy who is familiar with both Lowery and Franklin, which of those would you take?

I'm not saying he couldn't get the job done at Valpo - he probably could.

But you are recruiting totally different kids to Vincennes than you are Valpo. A lot of ADs are turned off by JUCO coaches. Some legit reasons. Some probably not.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » April 5th, 2023, 11:54 am

I think Jake Diebler makes a lot of sense if he wants the job
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » April 5th, 2023, 6:45 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

One of them destroyed SIU’s program and the other didn’t. So I’ll go with the one that didn’t. Haha. But it’s hard to say exactly. For example, Mizzou brought on Kyle Smithpeters (John A Logan) to be an assistant this year, and it’s fair to say that they are doing quite well in the first year of that coach, Dennis Gates. But it’s hard to pinpoint how much of their success is due to an assistant coach.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball