Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby Chuck A » March 16th, 2024, 12:25 am

MVC Expansion candidate and WAC 3-seed UT Arlington (20-13), knocks off #2- seed Tarleton State (23-9) for a Finals matchup with #1-seed Grand Canyon.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby harley93davidson » April 26th, 2024, 10:46 pm

:Cheers:
Chuck A wrote:MVC Expansion candidate and WAC 3-seed UT Arlington (20-13), knocks off #2- seed Tarleton State (23-9) for a Finals matchup with #1-seed Grand Canyon.

If msu goes fbs and we need to replace them, its uta or bust for me, we asked umkc and nku to invest more money, they couldnt, uta already invests in the program. if it helps the privates get more students even better, but im wholly uninterested in invitiing programs that are uninterested in playing high level mid major basketball. We knocked it out of the park with murray, belmont, and uic... why make a mistake now? Im so wholeheartedly pro mvc success and for those reasons im wholeheartedly pro arlington. anyone other than uta would be a massive mistake, in my honest opinion.
harley93davidson
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Chuck A » April 28th, 2024, 1:08 am

harley93davidson wrote::Cheers:
Chuck A wrote:MVC Expansion candidate and WAC 3-seed UT Arlington (20-13), knocks off #2- seed Tarleton State (23-9) for a Finals matchup with #1-seed Grand Canyon.

If msu goes fbs and we need to replace them, its uta or bust for me, we asked umkc and nku to invest more money, they couldnt, uta already invests in the program. if it helps the privates get more students even better, but im wholly uninterested in invitiing programs that are uninterested in playing high level mid major basketball. We knocked it out of the park with murray, belmont, and uic... why make a mistake now? Im so wholeheartedly pro mvc success and for those reasons im wholeheartedly pro arlington. anyone other than uta would be a massive mistake, in my honest opinion.

So, you wouldn't worry about the fact that everyone would have to fly to Arlington and it would be quite terrible for UNI and Drake? How about St. Thomas? They're spending money (building a new arena NIL recruiting) trying to become a player in D1. The Tommies could also lessen the travel burden for Drake and UNI.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jsaluki080 » April 28th, 2024, 4:11 am

Being a Texas school, I instantly feel football is a much higher priority for them and wouldn't care as much for basketball. Hence, I feel IF they did join the MVC, they'd leave the moment a slightly better football option became available.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby E-Villan » April 28th, 2024, 9:02 am

Is there an ounce of fact that we asked NKU to invest and they said no? My guess is someone posted this on a message board and now it is gospel. From what I can tell, NKU is already ahead of some of our recent additions in terms of facilities and support.

NKU makes more sense that UTA on the following.

1. Facilities - Truist Arena at NKU holds approximately 10K and would be comparable to the nicer barns in the MVC.
2. Market - NKU is in a metro of over 2 million people. 450K of which are on their side of the river. Unlike UTA, the Cincinnati media gives good media coverage to NKU.
3. Fanbase - NKU averages 3200 while UTA is at 1700. Adding conference rivals that are familiar to NKU will only increase that while I doubt too many people in the DFW metro could name 3 MVC schools.
4. NKU is basketball focused. Texas is football first, second and third.
5. Geography - NKU is a far better fit geographically. The farthest school from NKU is UNI, at 567 miles. By contrast, it is 862 miles from Cedar Falls to Arlington. If MSU is gone, there is not one school anywhere close to Arlington. No natural rivalries. Travel expenses for every MVC school would be more to UTA than NKU.

If we are looking for a large market, let's at least add one that covers the school. We are already ignored in Chicago and Nashville, no need to add a DFW snubbing to the list.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball