Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby BCPanther » March 12th, 2023, 2:27 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Your first move is to see what happens with Air Force football. There's a legitimate chance they end up in the new Pac as a football only member or the new AAC adds them and Army as football only members. They'd be option 1-100 as the next member. After that, I'm inclined to say St Thomas but they aren't eligible to move anywhere until 2027 as part of their D3 to D1 special waiver.

There's no hurry to do anything at this point. I'd be a hard no on Milwaukee, fwiw. We need to grow into areas with a growing population and Milwaukee isn't that.

12 is a really good number and I think the league takes a giant step forward next year as a whole.

Agree with this. Most of the school’s mentioned don’t move the needle meaningfully in any way, and the Presidents are NEVER voting for the Dakotas. Ever. It isn’t happening

Ever. Never. Ever. There aren't people there. Fargo is closer to Winnipeg than it is to Minneapolis and even SDSU is a flight for UNI. I've beat it to death here but people have no idea how far away they actually are.

Throw in the fact that they toss every available nickel into football and they basically get to run the league they're in however they see fit I don't think it's a realistic possibility. Plus, y'all don't want to be in an all sports league with NDSU. Trust me. We left it 40 years ago and we're not going back.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » March 12th, 2023, 5:19 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:If Valpo and Evansville left, I would vote for NKU, who won the Horizon league tournament again, and go after either Butler, or WKU, both of whom have struggled since moving up. Keep it at 12.

Neither Butler nor WKU are interested in joining the Valley. Butler isn't leaving the Big East and WKU plays FBS football.

Unless expansion yields basketball units, it's not worth it. Expansion is a gamble every single time. The most current round is still TBD, though I think Belmont and Murray State are both committed at a level that will yield results. UIC, I just don't see, and the previous addition of Valpo is a complete failure at this point.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Salukimadness86 » March 12th, 2023, 6:58 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:If Valpo and Evansville left, I would vote for NKU, who won the Horizon league tournament again, and go after either Butler, or WKU, both of whom have struggled since moving up. Keep it at 12.

Neither Butler nor WKU are interested in joining the Valley. Butler isn't leaving the Big East and WKU plays FBS football.

Unless expansion yields basketball units, it's not worth it. Expansion is a gamble every single time. The most current round is still TBD, though I think Belmont and Murray State are both committed at a level that will yield results. UIC, I just don't see, and the previous addition of Valpo is a complete failure at this point.

Probably right, money and greed rules. Bet Butler alumni and fans would like to see a change. Much like DePaul, they are simply overmatched.
If WKU is okay with losing records in football, and once in a while playing in the Kohlertoilet.com Bowl on a Tuesday afternoon in December, have at it. Don't think they play in the SEC, and never will. This said, would love to see them on non conference basketball schedule for SIU.
Butler too.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » March 12th, 2023, 8:51 pm

I will go out on a limb and say that the next ten years will be the most tumultuous in the history of college sports.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NuncEstBibendum » March 12th, 2023, 8:53 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:I will go out on a limb and say that the next ten years will be the most tumultuous in the history of college sports.

You could have made that amazing declaration every decade for a century and been correct. Nice try. :bow:
NuncEstBibendum
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bulldog2323 » March 12th, 2023, 9:57 pm

During today's women's championship, Jeff Jackson (commissioner) gave a pretty extensive interview. During this year's annual meetings, they are really looking forward to not worrying about administrative things they have to deal with, the logistics of adding new teams, etc. and are going to focus more on philosophy.

I think everyone has learned to never say "we aren't looking at expansion right now" but I think Jeff got as close to saying that as you can get these days.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IllinoisState » March 15th, 2023, 8:22 am

Of the schools already listed I am actively against Oral Roberts, Kansas City, and Omaha being added 100%. I still don't want any Dakota school or Milwaukee.

St. Thomas, Bellarmine, and NKU under the right circumstances. WKU and Butler will never join the MVC as it would be a big step down.

Lipscomb, Bellarmine, St. Thomas, Northern Kentucky, and Chattanooga if I had to name any, but I would want to see sustained success first.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » March 15th, 2023, 8:34 am

The MVC should stay at 12 with the following schools in their back pocket, in case Mo. State does something silly:

1. Northern Kentucky
2. Northern Kentucky
3. Northern Kentucky
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IllinoisState » March 15th, 2023, 9:14 am

racernation wrote:The MVC should stay at 12 with the following schools in their back pocket, in case Mo. State does something silly:

1. Northern Kentucky
2. Northern Kentucky
3. Northern Kentucky

My only problem with Northern Kentucky is that I believe they were approached by the MVC and dosnt want to make any upgrades to their program.

I also don't want to move past 12 either. I did want the move to 12 to happen earlier.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ColonialBulldog » March 15th, 2023, 9:32 am

I'm opposed to any expansion. My criteria for any potential expansion would be:

1) Does this addition get us closer to a perennial multi-bid league?
2) Does this addition get us more exposure and increase enrollment at member schools?

I don't see any team that we could realistically add that fulfills #1. (Maybe Turgeon takes the Wichita job and demands a return to the valley lol). I actually think we'll look back at the Murray/Belmont additions and find that they absolutely helped us achieve #1.

I could get on board with UST for reason #2. The twin cities just makes way too much sense for footprint expansion. And the Tommies have made all the right moves administratively since moving up to D1. I don't know enough about Bellarmine. They could fit this mold. I'm not from the area so I don't know if they would be a true expansion of the footprint given ISU, E'ville, Belmont, and Murray are already in the league.

I could stomach NKU if they were a replacement for a defector. They're kind of a blend of #1 our #2. But I think UST would be a way better option in this scenario.

I think NDSU, SDSU, and ORU are great programs but I don't see them accomplishing either criteria. So it's a no for me. (I could entertain arguments on ORU, especially if they make a run this year. But they feel like a flash in the pan)
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball