Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby GoSIU88 » February 27th, 2024, 12:45 pm

I thought ISUr was going to the BIG XII. At least that was the original plan.
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IllinoisState » February 27th, 2024, 12:54 pm

GoSIU88 wrote:I thought ISUr was going to the BIG XII. At least that was the original plan.

Who said that because I want to live in their fantasy world.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » February 27th, 2024, 12:59 pm

IllinoisState wrote:
GoSIU88 wrote:I thought ISUr was going to the BIG XII. At least that was the original plan.

Who said that because I want to live in their fantasy world.

On the old college sports video games I'd start with ILST in the MAC for football and eventually would get the call from the Big12. Same for NCAA Basketball 10. The Big12 was always where I ended up.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » February 27th, 2024, 1:09 pm

I would like to reiterate the points made here about moving up to FBS. When, not if, the SEC and Big Whatevers splits from the NCAA, FBS will be toast and we'll all essentially be FCS anyway.

I would not move to the FBS for anything right now. The Sun Belt & CUSA are dumpster fires.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 27th, 2024, 1:23 pm

The sun belt is a very good football league
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » February 27th, 2024, 2:53 pm

I agree that it doesn't make sense to move up now because of what may happen. Although I could easily be wrong.

the Sun Belt is better than the MAC, C-USA, and maybe AAC at the very least.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » February 28th, 2024, 2:41 pm

MAC basketball is trash. I would not want to give up Arch Madness for Tuesday night MACtion.

I've always said that if they did an MVFC vs MAC annual challenge, the MVFC would win more games than not. I get football drives decisions, but going from a top 10 basketball league to 24th would be less than ideal.

Agree that eventually the top 40-50 schools are going to break off and do their own thing in an NFL kind of model. BIG = NFC, SEC=AFC.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TBS_20 » March 5th, 2024, 7:51 am

Missouri State and Illinois State are leaving eventually. I thought about the best of the MVC privates leaving for the A-10 but that would be a huge conference. Then I realized the best idea would be to create a new league of the best of the two (and a couple others). It would be a midwest located conference with 2 on the east and 2 on the west.

Belmont
Bradley
Dayton
Davidson
Drake
Grand Canyon
Loyola, IL
Richmond/George Washington
St. Louis
St. Mary's
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mikovio » March 5th, 2024, 10:12 am

TBS_20 wrote:I thought about the best of the MVC privates leaving for the A-10 but that would be a huge conference.

"Huge conference"? The B1G will have 18 members soon, and the A10 will have 14 members after UMass leaves.

MSU and IlSU might be able to leave, but they would be sacrificing their basketball budget at the altar of FBS football, and in a few years they might find their new conferences lumped back in with FCS/MFVC. Then you're stuck playing bad basketball in empty gyms in Ohio and Michigan.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TBS_20 » March 5th, 2024, 10:37 am

Mikovio wrote:
TBS_20 wrote:I thought about the best of the MVC privates leaving for the A-10 but that would be a huge conference.

"Huge conference"? The B1G will have 18 members soon, and the A10 will have 14 members after UMass leaves.

MSU and IlSU might be able to leave, but they would be sacrificing their basketball budget at the altar of FBS football, and in a few years they might find their new conferences lumped back in with FCS/MFVC. Then you're stuck playing bad basketball in empty gyms in Ohio and Michigan.

Im prmarily a basketball fan and basketball will definitely suffer. Long term it's the right move for the university, however.
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball