NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Postby bradley_townie » March 17th, 2023, 10:05 am

siudawgs wrote:I think this thread may be a bit off track ... why did Bradley give so much time to that overseas 7-footer in the first half? He was not helpful. :P

6'9" Rienk was getting taken to school by Crowl who was having the game of his life. Seemed like Wardle brought in 7'1" Ahmet to try something new and try to stop the bleeding. To be fair, he only got 6 minutes. Who else are you going to throw at that guy? Leons? Darius Hannah? Ja'Shon Henry? Hannah and Leons are giving up 60+ pounds and 6'6 Ja'Shon would have not been a good idea either.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby siudawgs » March 17th, 2023, 10:12 am

bradley_townie wrote:
siudawgs wrote:I think this thread may be a bit off track ... why did Bradley give so much time to that overseas 7-footer in the first half? He was not helpful. :P

6'9" Rienk was getting taken to school by Crowl who was having the game of his life. Seemed like Wardle brought in 7'1" Ahmet to try something new and try to stop the bleeding. To be fair, he only got 6 minutes. Who else are you going to throw at that guy? Leons? Darius Hannah? Ja'Shon Henry? Hannah and Leons are giving up 60+ pounds and 6'6 Ja'Shon would have not been a good idea either.

I guess the bigger issue was Mast's struggles, but those 6 minutes seemed pretty painful in the moment. Also, is it just me or did Leons' shot regress in the final weeks?

Anyways, tough ending but a nice season for Bradley once they got healthy. Montgomery made some nice strides.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bradley_townie » March 17th, 2023, 10:29 am

siudawgs wrote:
bradley_townie wrote:

I guess the bigger issue was Mast's struggles, but those 6 minutes seemed pretty painful in the moment. Also, is it just me or did Leons' shot regress in the final weeks?

Anyways, tough ending but a nice season for Bradley once they got healthy. Montgomery made some nice strides.

Hickman and Leons combined for 3-30 from 3 in the final four games. These are guys who shoot around 35% from 3 normally. The inconsistency from 3 and the lack of a PG who can put it on the floor and score at the hoop are Bradley’s biggest weaknesses. Defenses don’t have to overhelp to stop Duke when he drives the lane. He gets exposed on defense in a big way and limits what Bradley can do on offense. They are in desperate need of a guard who can plug one of those holes.

Despite Wisconsin’s 7 footer playing out of his mind, this actually would have been a competitive game if Bradley’s 3 point and free throw shooting was at their season average. They were only down 5 at half and were passing well enough to get open looks, shots just weren’t falling. Bradley’s offense is built to take 20+ 3 pointers a game. Teams will double on Mast, so if the outside shots aren’t falling, Bradley gets in deep trouble really quick.

Overall, still one of Bradley's best seasons in a long long time. Never thought I would see a sold out Carver Arena again in my lifetime, but that memory alone and winning the regular season championship was amazing for BU fans.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball