NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Postby So iLL 24 » March 16th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins has been slightly better than Hinson so far. Hinson would not have beaten Colorado, Butler, and Oklahoma State over a 3 year stretch. This year is very comparable to Hinson's 4th year when he won 22 games, the only difference was SIU beat Oklahoma State and got to 23 wins.

I liked the Mullins hire and there's still a bit of upside so I have hope but the problem with hiring Mullins is SIU fans were never going to judge him fairly because of who he is.

I would take Hinsons starting 5 in year 4 compared to Mullins starting 5.

Pippen, Fletcher, Lloyd, McGill/Bartley/Smithpeters, Cook
is better than
Rupert, Domask, Newton, Jones, Johnson

How did this starting five do for BBQ? No better than this year's team. Believe that was Hinsons 21st year as a Head Coach, year 4 for BM. Just saying.

I don't disagree one bit. I really liked that team and they underperformed tremendously. We were rolling until Fletcher's failed drug test.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 16th, 2023, 3:17 pm

I question Barry’s ability to coach in todays world. Seemed like we had an awful lot of transfers coming in and out. And jucos. He seemed to struggle with player retention before this player retention thing was a problem. Can’t even imagine today. Mullins can do that at least. And it is one reason I’m more confident with the current regime even though it hasn’t shown the success that we’d like to see.

For what it’s worth, when Mullins was hired, I was actually hoping SIU would bring in Kyle Smithpeters instead. But that has more to do with personal bias than anything else. Now he’s having a heck of a run with Mizzou’s staff.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 16th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:I question Barry’s ability to coach in todays world. Seemed like we had an awful lot of transfers coming in and out. And jucos. He seemed to struggle with player retention before this player retention thing was a problem. Can’t even imagine today. Mullins can do that at least. And it is one reason I’m more confident with the current regime even though it hasn’t shown the success that we’d like to see.

For what it’s worth, when Mullins was hired, I was actually hoping SIU would bring in Kyle Smithpeters instead. But that has more to do with personal bias than anything else. Now he’s having a heck of a run with Mizzou’s staff.

All jokes aside it's clear the players like Mullins or at least like each other. Having so few key pieces transfer out is something to be applauded.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » March 16th, 2023, 4:52 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
Redbird82 wrote:Wow, Bradley made the NIT and NCAA this year, that’s impressive.

Haha - woops...but the point still stands. Mullins has a long way to go to match what Wardle has done.

Edited above

No doubt Mullins has work to do to reach Wardle stats, as those are rightfully proven.
Want to provide some perspective, and a few facts.
1. Wardle just completed his 13th year as a Head Coach.
2. Mullins just completed his 4th year as a Head Coach.
3. Wardle was Head Coach for five seasons at Green Bay before going to Bradley.
4. Mullins was an assistant coach for Loyola before going to SIU.
I'm biased, but feel the gap is closing, and Southern is making strides. The program's foundation has been set, and is being led by a person who has integrity, desire, and is doing it his way. Next year is critical for Mullins and staff. Time will tell. Happy March Madness All!
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » March 16th, 2023, 7:08 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins has been slightly better than Hinson so far. Hinson would not have beaten Colorado, Butler, and Oklahoma State over a 3 year stretch. This year is very comparable to Hinson's 4th year when he won 22 games, the only difference was SIU beat Oklahoma State and got to 23 wins.

I liked the Mullins hire and there's still a bit of upside so I have hope but the problem with hiring Mullins is SIU fans were never going to judge him fairly because of who he is.

is better than

That was Hinson's 7th year team and he underachieved greatly and went out on Friday. His 4th year team had Anthony Beane Jr., Sean O'Brien, and Mike Rodriguez
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby So iLL 24 » March 17th, 2023, 7:09 am

SalukiWorld wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:

is better than

That was Hinson's 7th year team and he underachieved greatly and went out on Friday. His 4th year team had Anthony Beane Jr., Sean O'Brien, and Mike Rodriguez

You are right! Year 4 is when Bola Olanyian randomly transferred to Alabama. SIU fans had high hopes for that team as well until he transferred.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 17th, 2023, 7:30 am

Barry also took over a smoldering crater left by a dumpster fire. Mullins didn't.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 17th, 2023, 7:51 am

BCPanther wrote:Barry also took over a smoldering crater left by a dumpster fire. Mullins didn't.

This. I can appreciate the rationalization from SIU fans, but I can't imagine this is how they imagined it going with Mullins.

It's also kinda funny to me how everyone seems to hate Barry, but once he's gone, his results become hard to replicate. Must be his golly-shucks mannerisms, I guess.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » March 17th, 2023, 7:58 am

TylerDurden wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Barry also took over a smoldering crater left by a dumpster fire. Mullins didn't.

This. I can appreciate the rationalization from SIU fans, but I can't imagine this is how they imagined it going with Mullins.

It's also kinda funny to me how everyone seems to hate Barry, but once he's gone, his results become hard to replicate. Must be his golly-shucks mannerisms, I guess.

Can't believe you're going to make me get my blood pressure up at 9 a.m. on a Friday. How have his results been hard to replicate? He won zero big games in seven years on the job. WTF are you talking about?

And by the way, it's fair to suggest that the program was in worse offcourt shape when Hinson took over, but on the court, his final year (a loss on Friday in STL) was with a senior-loaded roster, so the cupboard was quite bare for Mullins from a personnel standpoint, especially once Cook got injured early the following year.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 17th, 2023, 8:02 am

The program seemed to be in better shape from a winning standpoint but there weren’t any players left. Barry had a complete roster of seniors. Cook was there, but only played 6 games and got hurt. If I remember right, Hinson did inherit Dezmar Jackson, which is better than Mullins got.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball