NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Postby tribecalledquest » March 16th, 2023, 5:39 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:That's not what literally means. Literally.

Don’t miss the point. Razor thin. Credit to Mast. Hell of a play.

Congratulations to SIU for winning the “what if” MVC Championship.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » March 16th, 2023, 6:48 am

'If we'd have just scored more points than the other team, we would've won' is a hell of a take...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » March 16th, 2023, 8:13 am

SIU might have finished a game behind Drake and 2 games behind Bradley in the actual standings but the eye test and KenPom/NET say that they weren't really that close. They beat Drake in the ugliest game of the year when Drake was playing their worst (both teams shot 33.3%) and the other 2 games weren't close. And they got swept by Bradley.

SIU should be striving for much more than they got this season. Nobody is asking for the 2000's Salukis and 6 straight NCAA bids, that's not happening, but SIU wasn't even in an NIT conversation.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » March 16th, 2023, 9:16 am

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:But regardless, history is what it is. My main point is, don’t act like there is that much separation in year 4 of Mullins and year 7 of Wardle.

This was Wardle's eighth season at Bradley, for the record.

Wardle in year four = NCAA Tournament
Wardle in year five = NCAA Tournament (COVID)
Wardle in year eight = NIT, Regular season title

Mullins in year four = Still hasn't matched Barry's best MVC finish.

Wardle has now made two of the last five NCAA Tournaments (one canceled) after taking over a complete dumpster fire from Geno Ford (who went 46-86 at Bradley) and won the regular season.

Mullins hasn't been horrible, but has he really been better than Barry? Barry took over a MUCH worse team that Mullins did and had better MVC finishes, aside from year one.

Please stop making me defend Brian Wardle and his horrid offense.

For the record, I want SIU to be good again. It's good for the league if SIU is relevant. But if we're talking facts, Wardle isn't the guy SIU should go after.
Last edited by TylerDurden on March 16th, 2023, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » March 16th, 2023, 10:11 am

Mullins has been slightly better than Hinson so far. Hinson would not have beaten Colorado, Butler, and Oklahoma State over a 3 year stretch. This year is very comparable to Hinson's 4th year when he won 22 games, the only difference was SIU beat Oklahoma State and got to 23 wins.

I liked the Mullins hire and there's still a bit of upside so I have hope but the problem with hiring Mullins is SIU fans were never going to judge him fairly because of who he is.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird82 » March 16th, 2023, 10:40 am

Wow, Bradley made the NIT and NCAA this year, that’s impressive.
Redbird82
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TylerDurden » March 16th, 2023, 11:05 am

Redbird82 wrote:Wow, Bradley made the NIT and NCAA this year, that’s impressive.

Haha - woops...but the point still stands. Mullins has a long way to go to match what Wardle has done.

Edited above
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 16th, 2023, 11:37 am

SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins has been slightly better than Hinson so far. Hinson would not have beaten Colorado, Butler, and Oklahoma State over a 3 year stretch. This year is very comparable to Hinson's 4th year when he won 22 games, the only difference was SIU beat Oklahoma State and got to 23 wins.

I liked the Mullins hire and there's still a bit of upside so I have hope but the problem with hiring Mullins is SIU fans were never going to judge him fairly because of who he is.

I think this is a fair take. Hiring alums almost NEVER ends well and you end up firing them one or two years two late.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby So iLL 24 » March 16th, 2023, 1:20 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:Mullins has been slightly better than Hinson so far. Hinson would not have beaten Colorado, Butler, and Oklahoma State over a 3 year stretch. This year is very comparable to Hinson's 4th year when he won 22 games, the only difference was SIU beat Oklahoma State and got to 23 wins.

I would take Hinsons starting 5 in year 4 compared to Mullins starting 5.

Pippen, Fletcher, Lloyd, McGill/Bartley/Smithpeters, Cook
is better than
Rupert, Domask, Newton, Jones, Johnson
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Salukimadness86 » March 16th, 2023, 1:40 pm

So iLL 24 wrote:

I would take Hinsons starting 5 in year 4 compared to Mullins starting 5.

Pippen, Fletcher, Lloyd, McGill/Bartley/Smithpeters, Cook
is better than
Rupert, Domask, Newton, Jones, Johnson

How did this starting five do for BBQ? No better than this year's team. Believe that was Hinsons 21st year as a Head Coach, year 4 for BM. Just saying.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball