NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NIT: Bradley @ Wisconsin

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 17th, 2023, 8:22 am

TylerDurden wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Barry also took over a smoldering crater left by a dumpster fire. Mullins didn't.

This.

Yes, this gets overlooked a lot. Hinson took over an 8-23 program without a winning season in 4 years. Mullins took over a program that finished 2-seed or 3-seed 3 straight years.

2 of the top 4 guys on Mullins’ first team were Hinson guys - McGill and Jones. Jones ended up 1st, 2nd, & 2nd in Salukis scoring the following 3 years. Could you imagine the Salukis the last 4 years without Lance Jones?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » March 17th, 2023, 8:25 am

siudawgs wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Barry also took over a smoldering crater left by a dumpster fire. Mullins didn't.

This. I can appreciate the rationalization from SIU fans, but I can't imagine this is how they imagined it going with Mullins.

It's also kinda funny to me how everyone seems to hate Barry, but once he's gone, his results become hard to replicate. Must be his golly-shucks mannerisms, I guess.

Can't believe you're going to make me get my blood pressure up at 9 a.m. on a Friday. How have his results been hard to replicate? He won zero big games in seven years on the job. WTF are you talking about?

And by the way, it's fair to suggest that the program was in worse offcourt shape when Hinson took over, but on the court, his final year (a loss on Friday in STL) was with a senior-loaded roster, so the cupboard was quite bare for Mullins from a personnel standpoint, especially once Cook got injured early the following year.

Barry finished in the top-four each of his last four seasons. Mullins has been there one time in the subsequent four years.

You guys want to believe the Mullins has something going - maybe next year is his year - but he hasn't really been better than Barry.

I'd love to see the list of "big games" you think Mullins has won. Beating a 19-15 Oklahoma State team isn't it. Hell, he followed that up with a loss to Southern Indiana.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » March 17th, 2023, 8:26 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:

This.

Yes, this gets overlooked a lot. Hinson took over an 8-23 program without a winning season in 4 years. Mullins took over a program that finished 2-seed or 3-seed 3 straight years.

2 of the top 4 guys on Mullins’ first team were Hinson guys - McGill and Jones. Jones ended up 1st, 2nd, & 2nd in Salukis scoring the following 3 years. Could you imagine the Salukis the last 4 years without Lance Jones?

Lance Jones took 250 3-point shots this year and made 70 of them. Just saying.

And it was established earlier in this thread that Hinson inherited Desmar Jackson, who by far was more talented than either of the guys you mentioned.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby siudawgs » March 17th, 2023, 8:38 am

@Tyler,

Super fair to compare Years 4, 5, 6 and 7 to Years 1, 2, 3 and 4 when, as has been mentioned, Mullins was left very little on the roster to work with. Yes, I do consider wins over Butler, Colorado and Oklahoma State (and a razor-thin loss to Creighton) to be superior to any of Hinson's non-conference wins. Granted, Hinson set an EXTREMELY low bar in that department.

I'm not here to say Mullins doesn't still have much to prove (the lethargic offense is a large problem), but Hinson was a waste of time and anyone saying otherwise is either gaslighting or not as savvy as they think they are.

I think this thread may be a bit off track ... why did Bradley give so much time to that overseas 7-footer in the first half? He was not helpful. :P
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 17th, 2023, 8:56 am

TylerDurden wrote:[Barry finished in the top-four each of his last four seasons. Mullins has been there one time in the subsequent four years.

You guys want to believe the Mullins has something going - maybe next year is his year - but he hasn't really been better than Barry.

I'd love to see the list of "big games" you think Mullins has won. Beating a 19-15 Oklahoma State team isn't it. Hell, he followed that up with a loss to Southern Indiana.

Butler was #120 KenPom, Colorado was #79 KenPom, & Oklahoma St was #41 KenPom.

Mullins gets big wins while Barry doesn’t gets thrown around a lot, so I decided to look up the Salukis’ best KenPom wins since 2013. 8 of the top-12 were from Hinson.

#17 KenPom Wichita St (2013) Hinson
#41 KenPom Oklahoma St (2023) Mullins
#49 KenPom Northern Iowa (2020) Mullins
#62 KenPom Illinois St (2015) Hinson
#67 KenPom Northern Iowa (2016) Hinson
#67 KenPom Drake (2023) Mullins
#69 KenPom Northern Iowa (2013) Hinson
#79 KenPom Colorado (2022) Mullins
#79 KenPom Oakland (2016) Hinson
#84 KenPom Evansville (2013) Hinson
#92 KenPom Indiana St (2013) Hinson
#95 KenPom Northern Iowa (2014) Hinson
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » March 17th, 2023, 9:01 am

TylerDurden wrote:[Barry finished in the top-four each of his last four seasons. Mullins has been there one time in the subsequent four years.

Mullins gets big wins while Barry doesn’t gets thrown around a lot, so I decided to look up the Salukis’ best KenPom wins since 2013. 8 of the top-12 were from Hinson.

1. Let's see how this list looks after Mullins has seven years to work with.
2. Mullins already has 2 of the top 3 and 4 of the top 8 on the list.
3. If you want to lean into "The marquee non-conference win of Hinson's seven-year tenure was a victory over Oakland," knock yourself out.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Salukimadness86 » March 17th, 2023, 9:05 am

siudawgs wrote:@Tyler,

Super fair to compare Years 4, 5, 6 and 7 to Years 1, 2, 3 and 4 when, as has been mentioned, Mullins was left very little on the roster to work with. Yes, I do consider wins over Butler, Colorado and Oklahoma State (and a razor-thin loss to Creighton) to be superior to any of Hinson's non-conference wins. Granted, Hinson set an EXTREMELY low bar in that department.

I'm not here to say Mullins doesn't still have much to prove (the lethargic offense is a large problem), but Hinson was a waste of time and anyone saying otherwise is either gaslighting or not as savvy as they think they are.

I think this thread may be a bit off track ... why did Bradley give so much time to that overseas 7-footer in the first half? He was not helpful. :P

Funny how fans from other schools want to stick up for the BBQ salesmen of the year. They don't know half of the story. It's like SIU fans saying Jimmy Les got screwed and should come back to Bradley to replace Wardle! :D
Also find it interesting that the years of head coaching experience gets ignored. It does play a part in this discussion. Hinson had over 20 years, Wardle is at 13, Mullins at FOUR! BBQ had SEVEN seasons to get it done at SIU, with SEVEN seniors his last year, and could NOT do it. No NCAA tourney, or even the No Interest Tournamnet (NIT) . Like I said last night, Mullins has laid the foundation, has established the culture with excellent student athletes, and won 23 games in year 4. He is green, and still has much to learn! He's a bright guy and will hopefully figure it out. I also said that next year is critical that if post season is not reached, some serious consideration for replacement may be in order.
Yes, why did they use that 7 foot dude so much, he indeed hurt them. Gotta move your feet big guy! :roll:
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » March 17th, 2023, 9:06 am

We didn't bring SIU into a thread about Bradley and Wisconsin. That was insecure SIU fans trying to troll on Bradley.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Salukimadness86 » March 17th, 2023, 9:09 am

Ken Pom and the NET were not used as metrics ten years ago, however RPI was. Nice try though! And Oakland? LAWD! :Bam:
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 17th, 2023, 9:12 am

Oakland had the same KenPom as the Colorado win that gets cited as evidence of Mullins being a big win-coach.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball