Coaching Carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 24th, 2023, 11:02 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:I'm sure we can come up with more chain of events that lead to Darian moving on from Drake. Honestly we've barely even tried at this point. Let's start getting creative folks!

I heard there will be an opening in Maryville, MO soon! Maybe he wants to move down a level!
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ColonialBulldog » March 24th, 2023, 11:04 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
ColonialBulldog wrote:I'm sure we can come up with more chain of events that lead to Darian moving on from Drake. Honestly we've barely even tried at this point. Let's start getting creative folks!

What can you say... the guy loves The Region
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 24th, 2023, 12:08 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Storytime-

Back a few years ago, Murray fans thought they had dodged the coaching carousel after a particularly good season. Everything was winding down and things were pretty settled. Then Maryland's coach retired. No big deal, no connections, east coast job. Then Maryland hired Texas A&M's coach which set off alarm bells. We ended up losing our coach to the Aggies late in the carousel.

Moral of the story is that sometimes the we are all focused on a losing a coach at the first domino, when sometimes is the second one that is coming for us. Something to keep in mind.

Get back to me when you lose a 3x All American Player and 3000 point scorer because his dad's current employer got paid to get rid of him when they didn't want him anyway.

Oh and f*** Billy Kennedy and A&M....
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » March 24th, 2023, 9:08 pm

I didn’t mention the name.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NuncEstBibendum » March 24th, 2023, 10:34 pm

ColonialBulldog wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:

What can you say... the guy loves The Region

Impressive that you would even know the colloquialism "The Region" but does he have ties there?
NuncEstBibendum
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ColonialBulldog » March 25th, 2023, 9:16 am

Not really. When Devries got the Drake job he brought in Wilkins, Penn, and the Murphy twins (all Region guys) to build up the program. Drake legend from the Dolph Pulliam from the '69 Final Four team is also a Region guy.

BTW I'm 99% sure that Rothstein tweet is a really well done fake ;)
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » March 25th, 2023, 10:16 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:Not really. When Devries got the Drake job he brought in Wilkins, Penn, and the Murphy twins (all Region guys) to build up the program. Drake legend from the Dolph Pulliam from the '69 Final Four team is also a Region guy.

Hiring Marty Richter was a smart move.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 25th, 2023, 10:51 am

ColonialBulldog wrote:Not really. When Devries got the Drake job he brought in Wilkins, Penn, and the Murphy twins (all Region guys) to build up the program. Drake legend from the Dolph Pulliam from the '69 Final Four team is also a Region guy.

Definitely a fake. But, well done enough that I had to verify for myself.

As far as the "region" thing, I think I've seen the name mentioned dozens of times in articles about Drake or TV broadcasts of Drake games.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 28th, 2023, 10:27 pm

VCU, who's sold out virtually every game for 10+ years, is about to get poached by traditionally bottom-rung Penn St.

Fending off P5s was always an uphill battle, but it's becoming pretty much impossible unless you have a Randy Bennett or Ben Jacobson that doesn't care about P5 money.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball