Coaching Carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby BCPanther » March 21st, 2023, 1:45 pm

Bulldog2323 wrote:I think going back to assist for McDermott is admitting you weren't good enough to be a head coach and taking a demotion, which is of course not true at all.

That's not what he's saying.

If Mac goes to Notre Dame, Darian will get hired so fast at Creighton that heads will spin.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 21st, 2023, 1:58 pm

yeah if Creighton comes calling we have no chance. I think the same about Iowa.

ND he may waiver but would ultimately go.
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Countrypanther » March 21st, 2023, 2:20 pm

DeVries is a hot commodity. Hope the Bulldogs can keep him, past men's BB hiring decisions have mostly been disasters.
Countrypanther
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby So iLL 24 » March 21st, 2023, 2:42 pm

Bulldog2323 wrote:I think going back to assist for McDermott is admitting you weren't good enough to be a head coach and taking a demotion, which is of course not true at all.

LOL. He is insinuating that DeVries would become the next HC at Creighton. He spent more than 15 years as an assistant coach there and has proven himself as an HC at Drake. It is a no-brainer hire for Creighton if McDermott goes.
So iLL 24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dean_siu » March 21st, 2023, 2:51 pm

Drake would be better off if Devries left this year, as Chris Lowery is available for a head coaching position. If the school can put together about $1.2 million a year, I bet he'd be willing to come back to the Valley, repeat some of the success he generated at Northwestern this year, and create some March Madness success for the MVC in coming seasons.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bulldog4life24 » March 21st, 2023, 2:55 pm

So seriously, how many burner accounts does Chris Lowery have on this board?

I swear some of you SIU fans have such a crush on him. Also no thanks.
Bulldog4life24
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dean_siu » March 21st, 2023, 3:00 pm

Bulldog4life24 wrote:So seriously, how many burner accounts does Chris Lowery have on this board?

I swear some of you SIU fans have such a crush on him. Also no thanks.

Why wouldn't you want your schools program to jump to the next level? Being a top 20 team in the cou try is much more exciting than just competing for Valley titles.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby agernes » March 21st, 2023, 3:09 pm

Shrews is the name that everyone's talking about at Notre Dame still. I think that Penn State is probably about to open up a large bag either way- either to keep him or to bring in a new guy. But with the check Penn State could write, I wonder if they're more likely to go try to poach someone in, say, the Big 12 or Pac 12 than go into mid-major land.

Lots of talk that DD and Wichita are off on numbers, which makes you think he might be asking for something large to pry him out of Iowa (which, given his entire life has gone Aplington->Cedar Falls->Omaha-> Des Moines, it could check out).

Obviously DD is a big fit at Creighton. But it's been floating around for a bit that McDermott and Marcus Blossom, the Creighton AD, have been at a bit of loggerheads.

I'd still say DD is odds-on favorite to go to Omaha if it opens, but if McD leaves in part because he's not getting along with Blossom, makes you wonder if McD might turn off DeVries from going there, or possibly that Blossom might not want someone who was McDermott's right hand man for the better part of a decade.
agernes
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby agernes » March 21st, 2023, 3:20 pm

One other thing in regards to DeVries (I believe this is still true, though someone can tell me if I'm wrong): He doesn't have an agent. So any leaks or speculation that come out through reporters are probably coming from the other side of negotiations or coming from the ADs office (as opposed to an agent leaking his/her client's name to the press).

It also would mean he's directly involved in negotiations. I have no clue the specific ways a coaching search is different in that scenario but it's definitely a big difference than trying to put out feelers through an agent or having an agent put out feelers for you.
agernes
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 21st, 2023, 5:06 pm

Oral Roberts coach is headed to the school in south-central Kansas, so the Notre Dame chain looks to be the last mine for Drake to dodge.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball