Coaching Carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Coaching Carousel

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 15th, 2023, 1:26 pm

https://amp.kansas.com/sports/college/w ... 78050.html

Wichita Eagle reporting Mark Turgeon turned down WSU.

The chances of Mark Turgeon returning to coach the Wichita State men’s basketball team, a job he left some 16 years ago, are likely extinguished.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation informed The Eagle that Turgeon has told others he has declined a job offer from WSU athletic director Kevin Saal on Sunday and has removed himself from consideration.

Speculation about a possible reunion gained steam immediately following Saturday’s decision by Saal to fire Isaac Brown one day after the Shockers wrapped up their season.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Coaching Carousel

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby racernation » March 15th, 2023, 1:37 pm

For those who don't know, Saal was Murray's AD before heading to Wichita. He helped lead Murray through the MVC transition. I know conference affiliation doesn't rest on the decision of the AD, but if Saal took that job, I guarantee you WSU is forward-looking. So if there is any whimpers of WSU returning to the Valley with the demise of the AAC, sorry.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 15th, 2023, 1:38 pm

Kellen Sampson has to be the guy there, right?

Maybe an outside shot at Jans because I think Wichita is probably a better job than the 8th or 9th best job in the SEC.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » March 15th, 2023, 2:33 pm

Jans turned it down publicly.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » March 15th, 2023, 4:04 pm

BCPanther wrote:Kellen Sampson has to be the guy there, right?

Maybe an outside shot at Jans because I think Wichita is probably a better job than the 8th or 9th best job in the SEC.

Sampson is coach in waiting at Houston
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 15th, 2023, 8:10 pm

SalukiWorld wrote:

Right, but it's not like Kelvin is retiring tomorrow. Might be the right move to go run his own program for a while.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiWorld » March 16th, 2023, 8:09 am

BCPanther wrote:
SalukiWorld wrote:

Right, but it's not like Kelvin is retiring tomorrow. Might be the right move to go run his own program for a while.

I don't know, he's 67 years old and who knows if they win it all this year. Might be sooner rather than later if that happens. I think he'd (Kellen) have been opportunities than Wichita too
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » March 17th, 2023, 10:31 am

Heard Devries name whispered about for jobs and if there's much movement after the NCAA tourney, he will definitely get some looks.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » March 17th, 2023, 10:41 am

Red wrote:Heard Devries name whispered about for jobs and if there's much movement after the NCAA tourney, he will definitely get some looks.

A guy who posts on the MSU board and clearly has connections based on the accuracy of some of his past predictions/ statements has said that Devries already has a P-5 gig lined up , signed and sealed. I don't always agree with this guy, but that's not about the info he gets, just some of how he views things. We'll know fairly soon I guess .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » March 17th, 2023, 10:56 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Red wrote:Heard Devries name whispered about for jobs and if there's much movement after the NCAA tourney, he will definitely get some looks.

A guy who posts on the MSU board and clearly has connections based on the accuracy of some of his past predictions/ statements has said that Devries already has a P-5 gig lined up , signed and sealed. I don't always agree with this guy, but that's not about the info he gets, just some of how he views things. We'll know fairly soon I guess .

And then the question becomes does Tucker go with him?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball