NCAA tourney thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA tourney thread

Postby Red » March 27th, 2023, 12:55 pm

sivert wrote:
Bulldog2323 wrote:Congrats to the Hurricanes. They should be proud of what they accomplished. That said, as a Drake fan their run makes me absolutely sick. I hope the coaches and players coming back next year to Drake feel the same way and are able to use this feeling as motivation for an even better year next year.

I was thinking the same thing.

Drake could easily be where they are.

Agree. That's the first thing that I told my wife. Drake had them beat and imploded.

Is that loss worse or was Creighton's? That is a rough way to lose a berth in the F4 on an iffy late whistle.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » March 28th, 2023, 10:32 am

Thought it deserved mention that 3 of the 11 officials selected to work the Final Four work extensive Valley schedules. John Higgins, Kipp Kissinger and Bert Smith will officiate this weekend. Two more, Keith Kimble and Terry Oglesby worked at least 3 Valley league games this year.

In addition to those 5, Darren George, Jeb Hartness, Marques Pettigrew, Gerry Pollard and Ray Natili worked regional weekend.

Bret Smith, Rick Crawford, Randy Heimerman, Antinio Petty, Brian McNutt, Brooks Wells, Amy Bonner (first woman to officiate a men's tournament game), Chance Moore, KB Burdett, Owen Shortt and Tyler Kumpf all made the tournament.

Pretty impressive to be one of the 100 best in the country when about 1200 different people work DI games over the course of the year.

The league does a really good job of getting the best officials they can when they're not working the Big 12 and other P6 leagues.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiHoops » March 28th, 2023, 12:52 pm

Red wrote:
sivert wrote:
Bulldog2323 wrote:Congrats to the Hurricanes. They should be proud of what they accomplished. That said, as a Drake fan their run makes me absolutely sick. I hope the coaches and players coming back next year to Drake feel the same way and are able to use this feeling as motivation for an even better year next year.

I was thinking the same thing.

Drake could easily be where they are.

Agree. That's the first thing that I told my wife. Drake had them beat and imploded.

Is that loss worse or was Creighton's? That is a rough way to lose a berth in the F4 on an iffy late whistle.

It was a foul. No questions about it. You can't penalize the offensive player just because it's late in the game. Creighton lost in the Elite 8. Drake lost in the first round. I'm sure the sting is stronger for the Blue Jays
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball